• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rangers-Andrus nearing 8 year/$120 million extension

ludosc

he's also one of the best defensive shortstops in the game and has baserunning value. aren't the angels paying hamilton like he's barry bonds in his prime? stop talking

Hey Flute, you are the one coming to an Angel Fan Site as a Ranger fan and you're telling an Angel fan to stop talking? No one on here has been disrespectful to you or Andrus, as a matter of fact this might be the most mellow thread like this I have seen. Second what did he say in the thread you quoted that was true?

he's also one of the best defensive shortstops in the game and has baserunning value. aren't the angels paying hamilton like he's barry bonds in his prime? stop talking

Aybar is also good defensively. And Andrus is know to be a stupid base runner. But thanks anyways

The only concern is that a lot of his value(other than his D) comes from the fact that he can provide good SB totals at a MIF spot, but his SB totals declined last year, and obviously as players get older they slow down. They are banking heavily on him either improving with the bat as he enters his prime or at least maintaining what he currently does for the next 10 years, right?

Seems about right. Three out of Andrus' four season have been ~4 WAR, which for market value is $15-20MM a year. Also consider his age and further development, then even $15 million per year isn't bad at all.

Of course this will only drive up Trout's price-tag.

Maybe this was the idea.  It's no secret that big money TV deals start to kick in for a number of teams in a few years.  This will mean a new round of overpay the good players.  And I say good players because stars and superstars will get stupid money.  

I remember a time when I thought that Beltre got paid stupid money from the Rangers.  Now, looking back at it, I think we were the stupid one's not going for him at that price.  

$15 million might become the norm for good players, where we might see the $20 and $25 and even $30 million for the higher end players (See Trout).  The TV contracts that teams are getting, along with even the bump from MLB for national telecasts will dictate it.  

Look at the Angels.  In the time that it will take Andrus' contract to expire, we went from a $100 million payroll to around a $120 million payroll, to $140, and now $150 million.  And next year, we are already at $140 million without lifting a finger.  

I thought this was a total win for the Rangers. Andrus would have made far, far more if he would have waited and hit the open market in a few years.

Rangers are incredibly well set-up for long-term, perpetual success. Astros should be very, very good by 2015.

The AL West is going to be extremely competitive 1-5 by 2015. Let's be thankful we are based in the 2nd biggest media market and can keep spending massive $$ on payroll to keep up. If our future was dependent on our farm system we would be needing a total rebuild in 3-4 years.

Sure, but Profar is obviously a pretty amazing prospect as well and plays SS instead of corner OF.

I think it makes a fair amount of sense for both teams, but I wouldn't expect it to happen. I can't think of the last time teams did anything like that; and understandably no GM wants to end up being the guy who traded the top prospect who turns into a stud for the top prospect that doesn't turn into one.

Dayton Moore says hi.

Andrus can opt out after the fourth year of the contract, which will make it $71 million over the next six years, two under his current contract and four more of the new extension.  Also, he has a vesting option for a ninth year. So, if at age 31 he thinks he can make more than $15 million the next four years, he'll be an Angel or Yankee or something.

Andrus can opt out after the fourth year of the contract, which will make it $71 million over the next six years, two under his current contract and four more of the new extension.  Also, he has a vesting option for a ninth year. So, if at age 31 he thinks he can make more than $15 million the next four years, he'll be an Angel or Yankee or something.

Actually, now that you bring it up.  He would have been a FA in 2 years.  Would have lined up perfect to replace Jeter.  

In a way, this might have been a move to prevent that bidding war.

Actually, now that you bring it up.  He would have been a FA in 2 years.  Would have lined up perfect to replace Jeter.  

In a way, this might have been a move to prevent that bidding war.

Yes, after the 2014 season he would have been a free agent.  I think if he's developed the power tool more, like Trammel did at around age 25, he can get more than $15 million per year at age 31 and will opt out.  But, if he does not he may choose to stay after losing a step. Maybe then the Rangers could switch Profar from 2B to SS?  That's way off in the future, so no telling who would be the better SS or where they will be then, but Profar will be only 26 then.