• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rangers-Andrus nearing 8 year/$120 million extension

ludosc

Profar would go to second over Elvis, at least at this point in their careers Elvis is the much better SS, and Profar doesn't really proect to reach Elvis' ceiling on defense. Rangers are very deep at short right now, while I would absolutely hate to see Profar go losing him in the right deal would be palatable now.

It would take a lot, but they could throw a package together for Stanton if the Marlins are inclined to move him (don't see it happening but I can rosterbate), maybe Shelby Miller....or they could do something with Kinsler who has a pretty team friendly deal.

I definitely think stanton to texas will happen. And I think profar will go along with olt. All depends where the rangers are in june/july though.

Love Angel fans calling Andrus and Kinsler extensions awful while continuing to defend Pujols's deal.

I get get the point you're making, but, are you really equating Kinsler and Andrus with Pujols?

BTW, based on the career arcs of 2B historically -- I wouldn't have done the Kinsler deal.  I wouldn't have done it for ANY 2B...   I used to know the number (of games), but there had always been this drastic sudden drop in performance from 2B that wasn't as common at other positions.  Morgan, Grich, Rhyno, are some obvious exceptions but as a whole it's a risky proposition past age 31-32.  Throw in his home and away splits and I just wouldn't have done the deal for Kinsler.

I think the Andrus deal is priced decently given it won't kick in for another two years and could be a better value should his bat improve.

I get get the point you're making, but, are you really equating Kinsler and Andrus with Pujols?

BTW, based on the career arcs of 2B historically -- I wouldn't have done the Kinsler deal.  I wouldn't have done it for ANY 2B...   I used to know the number (of games), but there had always been this drastic sudden drop in performance from 2B that wasn't as common at other positions.  Morgan, Grich, Rhyno, are some obvious exceptions but as a whole it's a risky proposition past age 31-32.  Throw in his home and away splits and I just wouldn't have done the deal for Kinsler.

I think the Andrus deal is priced decently given it won't kick in for another two years and could be a better value should his bat improve.

no one is comparing kinsler and andrus to pujols because they're not being paid 20 million+ a year

patently false

Nope, you homer. All 5 of those players have better WARs and higher OPS's than Andrus. Tulo is the best SS, no argument. Castro is younger and has way more tools. Aybar is a back to back 4 WAR player and was recently just touted as the most underrated player in baseball by Fangraphs and ESPN. Desmonds stats just speak for itself. Escobar is going to probably be better than everyone in this group not named Tulo soon enough. 

Care to rebuttal, homer?

sure. i'll rebuttal you!!!

alcides escobar can't play defense and he's offensively below average even for a shortstop

starlin castro isn't known for his defense and while he possesses a little more power than andrus i'm not quite sure what his "tools" are

erick aybar is nearly 5 years older than andrus and andrus hasn't realized his power potential yet (maybe he won't)

ian desmond has had one solid year at the plate

sure. i'll rebuttal you!!!

alcides escobar can't play defense and he's offensively below average even for a shortstop

starlin castro isn't known for his defense and while he possesses a little more power than andrus i'm not quite sure what his "tools" are

erick aybar is nearly 5 years older than andrus and andrus hasn't realized his power potential yet (maybe he won't)

ian desmond has had one solid year at the plate

Escobar can't play defense????? His best attribute is his defense. I can't take you seriously when you say stuff like that

no shit, sherlock. what does pujols' career have to do with the kinsler and andrus contracts?

Listen if you're going to act like a little bitch, then maybe you shouldn't enter into the conversation or at least bother ready whats been said.  I didn't bring up Pujols you dolt.. Someone else did -- which is why I asked if they were actually comparing the two sitiations..  

Your rampant homerism and inability to handle ANY form or opinion of the Rangers that doesn't come close to your myopic hero worship makes it impossible to have any semblance of actual debate so really -- just take your own advice and learn when to shut up. 

Lol at him saying Castro has a little more power than Andrus. He has a lot more than him and it's only getting better

Andrus can't hit for ANY power in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league. Dude's ISO was under .100 last year. His game isnt' even that. He's a slap hitter who they hope continues to hit .280 with a .350 OBP% who can steal 20-30 bases.

Umm, we didn't give Pujols $250 million for his past accomplishments. We gave him the $ for expectations on what he would do moving forward.

To be honest, that's not the argument.  But you're deluding yourself if you believe his past performance in no way shape or form impacted his asking price.  Regardless -- you brought up Pujols.  A free agent on the open market into a conversation about adding 8 years to a player under club control, IMO, it was at best lacking in substance, particularly given we have a perfectly good comparison in the name of Erick Aybar who signed for significantly fewer dollars.

I don't think the Andrus deal is awful,but the reality is that much of his value is tied into a defensive quotient that is still very much under debate.   Anyone that's read the things I've posted knows I firmly believe that most people underestimate run prevention and defense as a whole, but I'm not willing to pay through the nose for defense, at least not until the metrics are refined to where there is less fuzziness....  

In essence, i think paying 15 mil or whatever for Andrus is as much of a overpay as it would have been to pay Callaspo ten mil a year.  Callaspo's been a criminally under-appreciated player IMO, but you wouldn't see me locking a player of his ilk to anything more than a three year deal and for nowhere near the money his WAR totals would indicate he deserves.

The Rangers obviously see no problem with paying for defense -- it's their money, and they know what they are building.  But they are in fact taking a bit of a leap of faith.

andrus' contract is reasonable given today's market. my god, if this is an overpay, the pujols and hamilton contracts are the most bloated in mlb history.

Those contracts are in fact complete overpays.   They were also free agents.

I'd love to hear your argument for why Andrus is worth 75% (6,5 M), more per year than Erick Aybar.   I'm not interested in your rampant homerism, I'd like to see what you base it on other than the name on the front of the uniform.  They have been essentially the same player the last two years.  

Buster Posey plays a significantly more demanding position.  He is likewise a plus defender, and has amassed a higher career WAR total in almost 300 fewer games.  He just signed a contract for 9 years and 167 mil, a per year average of 18.5 Mil...   Posey has won the ROY, an MVP and lead the NL in OPS+, WAR, and several other saber-metric categories and yet he's only making 3.5 mil more than Andrus....  

Andrus 6.5MIl > Aybar...  

Posey 3,5MIl > Andrus?

Go ahead -- tell me how Andrus deal isn't an overpay.