• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Rangers-Andrus nearing 8 year/$120 million extension

ludosc

Hmmmmm

I like andrus. I like him a lot, super solid player. But that's kind of a bunch of money for him (IMO). Is he moving to second to make room for profar?

Profar would go to second over Elvis, at least at this point in their careers Elvis is the much better SS, and Profar doesn't really proect to reach Elvis' ceiling on defense. Rangers are very deep at short right now, while I would absolutely hate to see Profar go losing him in the right deal would be palatable now.

It would take a lot, but they could throw a package together for Stanton if the Marlins are inclined to move him (don't see it happening but I can rosterbate), maybe Shelby Miller....or they could do something with Kinsler who has a pretty team friendly deal.

I think they overpaid by quite a bit. I think something in the 75-90 million dollar range makes way more sense. Yes, the shortstop crop sucks right now but he's just not that kind of player.

Are you talking just in terms of the total value or are you saying 8/$75MM?

I think they overpaid by quite a bit. I think something in the 75-90 million dollar range makes way more sense. Yes, the shortstop crop sucks right now but he's just not that kind of player.

I seriously thought it was an April fools joke when I first heard it, but it's on major news sites. I guess the average salary isn't that much though, it's just a long contract but he's young.

8/75. I have no problem with the years they gave but 120 million dollars is quite a bit for a player who isn't considered elite. 

if it's a actual extension then we've got him under contract for the next 10 seasons at roughly $13.1 million per season

if it's a new contract that number is 8 years and $15 million per season

either way it's a steal in my book

if it's a actual extension then we've got him under contract for the next 10 seasons at roughly $13.1 million per season

if it's a new contract that number is 8 years and $15 million per season

either way it's a steal in my book

I just think he has to improve quite a bit on the offensive end for me to think it's worth it. Yeah the annual average value isn't too bad but that's a lot of money to give to a guy who relies heavily on an asset, his speed, that deteriorates quickly. I think he's a good player, just not worth anything over 100 million. 

I just think he has to improve quite a bit on the offensive end for me to think it's worth it. Yeah the annual average value isn't too bad but that's a lot of money to give to a guy who relies heavily on an asset, his speed, that deteriorates quickly. I think he's a good player, just not worth anything over 100 million. 

Aybar has a higher career OPS+ than him.

8/75. I have no problem with the years they gave but 120 million dollars is quite a bit for a player who isn't considered elite.

8/75 wouldn't even get him to the table. That's not realistic at all, in my opinion. Offering less than $10MM per for a 24 year-old elite defense shortstop who possesses plus speed and who is a fan favorite is not going get a deal done. He's been a 4 WAR player for the last 2 seasons. That's what Hamilton is.

So I guess Kinsler is definitely ticketed for an OF spot with Profar becoming the 2B when the time comes

In any case, IMO he IS an elite player...at his position. It's not easy to find a SS who is great with the glove and can hit for average while providing 30+ SB.

I'm liking the Aybar extension that much more though

Tough one.  $15 million a season for 8.  He is only 24.  But his offensive numbers aren't really all that.  For an offensive homefield, he doesn't put up nearly the numbers you would hope.  Plus it kind of blocks Profar.  It's a curious move, unless they are using Profar as a pawn for Stanton.  Then it would make sense.  

8/75 wouldn't even get him to the table. That's not realistic at all, in my opinion. Offering less than $10MM per for a 24 year-old elite defense shortstop who possesses plus speed and who is a fan favorite is not going get a deal done. He's been a 4 WAR player for the last 2 seasons. That's what Hamilton is.

I always feel it's riskier signing these speedy players to long term deals because once a guy like Andrus loses any of his speed, his base running value goes down as well as his range in the field. 

I get the other side too though. The shortstop position is really, really weak and increasing prices makes it a bit more reasonable. 

Sources: Andrus, #Rangers close on eight-year deal, believed to be for $120 million.

as a Rangers fan, this more than makes up for a really crappy opening day...

As an Angels fan i'd be estatic if they do this.  

The per year figure is more than fair tot he Rangers providing he continues to be a 3+ WAR player per year (which seems possuble), but 8 years is more years than I would want to go.  Also, consider this, if he were to match his career high WAR of 4.1 for each of the next 8 years he would have 45.8 WAR for his career at age 31. He's young and has room to get better, but I 'm not sure a guy with a career OPS+ of 84 is really en route to the HOF.  Sorry but, I see more Rafael Furcal, Edgar Renteria, or Dave Concepcion, than I do Arky Vaughan, Luke Appling, or even Barry Larkin, to leave out the more impressive names.

Also since you have five more years of Ian Kinsler's decline to pay for, I guess this means you'll move him (Kinsler), to another position where he will be even less valuable to make room for Profar?   Or does this mean the team is now willing to move him?