• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Need a lawyer recommendation..

Since I figured EVERYBODY hits here once in a while, and SOMEBODY here has to know a killer lawyer..

I need a lawyer recommendation for a friend. YES, it IS my friend, and NOT me!!  

Long story short??  She needs to file a lawsuit against Serv Pro --who was RECOMMENDED to her by her insurance company!!-- and who has RUINED her kitchen and completely screwed up repairs..

You can send me a PM if you don't want to post here.

Thanks..

The original damage was about $10K.. She's already contacted her insurance company and spoke with a supervisor AND a manager.  Both the insurance company and the repair company are giving her the run around..   But this is the best advice I've gotten here so far..  I told her to check her policy and see if she is required to go thru mediation first, so I will see what she says tomorrow.

Hey Patti, what's the dollar value estimate of the damages? 

If it's a civil limited case (under $25,000) just about any lawyer can pull that off. 

The original damage was about $10K.. She's already contacted her insurance company and spoke with a supervisor AND a manager.  Both the insurance company and the repair company are giving her the run around..   But this is the best advice I've gotten here so far..  I told her to check her policy and see if she is required to go thru mediation first, so I will see what she says tomorrow.

You can sue for $10K in small claims court these days subject to a few limitations. 

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1256.htm

Click on the line that says "How Much Can You Sue for in Small Claims Court?"

Get a 2nd opinion from another contractor (even better they are on the insurance recommended list). If they agree with your friend that the work is shoddy, then they have a case. If they find Serv Pro's work satisfactory, then your friend may be SOL.

Stuff like that is what the lawyer is for.

Sounds like other damages besides the actual jacked up repair.  Maybe the kitchen not being repaired properly forced your friend to get her meals to go, or dine out, etc. which became costly.  Or, she lost work hours because Serv Pro was at the house at specific times which caused your friend to miss work so she could accomodate serv pro...and so on.  So, what may be $10K in damages is actually $15K or whatever.

An attorney will likely send a demand letter first.  This often gets the other party's attention.  If the opposing party ignores it, or tells your friend they're not paying a dime, you know that the only alternative is to file a complaint, assuming that mediation is not in the contract.  And a mediation clause can often be contested, but that's tricky.

Once a complaint is filed, the opposition has 30 days to respond and a hearing date is set. 

Your friend needs to call her claims adjuster

Yep. This is where she should start. If that doesn't get her anywhere, maybe Servepro has a bond on which she can make a claim.

Unfortunately, it might be hard to find an attorney wanting to take a case like this. Your friend isn't going to want to pay $250+ per hour out of her pocket, and few attorneys would take a case like this on a contingency.

I gave her information for Legal Aid to see about a referral.  I don't know what she's doing, as I have not heard from her today, but both Serv Pro and the Insurance Company were supposed to go to her house and look at the work together today. 

Thanks for all the help.