• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Royals sellers at the deadline?

It seems like the Royals might be selling at the trade deadline. What do you guys think about Shields and Holland? I know Shields is older and a FA at the end of the year but the guy is a gamer and I'd love to see him in an Angels uniform. Holland would give us that locked down closer. I think Shields would be easier to sign because of his age than Zack as long as he gets a chance for a ring, thoughts?

I know that's a big concern of mine as well. A pitching staff of Weaver, CJ, Shields, Richards and Skaggs with Holland locking down the 9th is fun to think about. I think Howie would have to be part of the package and I'm not sure you do that during a potential run at the playoffs.

hard to justify making a trade when in all likelihood the best you are going to do is play one game to determine your playoff fate.  

Shields is also 32.  Not a good gamble at this point imo.  Lots of innings etc.  

Holland would be great.  He's got two years of arb left and he's getting pretty expensive though.  Would love to have him anchoring the pen for the next 2.5 years nonetheless.  

I'm feeling like Oakland is better enough than us that a guy like Shields isn't really going to put us over the top towards winning the division. A few months of him will likely be worth about half a win or so over whoever he's replacing in the rotation.

True but maybe he doesn't get us the division but helps us go deep in the playoffs. I don't know what kind of contract he is looking for or will get but I would think somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 yrs. kind of risky for a 33yr old though.

hard to justify making a trade when in all likelihood the best you are going to do is play one game to determine your playoff fate.

Shields is also 32. Not a good gamble at this point imo. Lots of innings etc.

Holland would be great. He's got two years of arb left and he's getting pretty expensive though. Would love to have him anchoring the pen for the next 2.5 years nonetheless.

Holland makes the most sense. I just love watching Shields pitch. Would be cool to see him do it in an Angels uniform.

Short term deals like this are what killed the Angels playoff chances and farm system in the first place. We dealt away Skaggs, Corbin, Saunders, Will Smith, Amarista, Roach, Jean Segura, Ariel Pena and John Hellweg all in the past few years on in season deals that have resulted in zero playoff appearances.

We don't have the prospects to surrender any more, and even if we did, we shouldn't be making these deals.