• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Because of the solid play of Cowgill

Chuck

Cowgill is due for some major regression (.420 BABIP is pretty absurd), but until he cools down you have to keep him in the lineup any way possible. 

I think this is exactly it. Cowgill starts most games until he cools off, then Calhoun gradually wins back his job. I see CC as more of a .280/.350/.400 type, but that's plenty good for a 4th outfielder.

I think this is exactly it. Cowgill starts most games until he cools off, then Calhoun gradually wins back his job. I see CC as more of a .280/.350/.400 type, but that's plenty good for a 4th outfielder.

I don't think we've had that good of a 4th outfielder since Jeff Davanon. If Cowgill turns into another Jeff Davanon I'll be happy.

Calhoun is not out of a job.

Cowgill will play left most days until Hamilton returns.

When Hamilton returns, then the Angels have a quandary.

Ibanez is the most likely person to lose time. Cron though likely goes down. If Ibanez doesn't start hitting for average, he's gone by the All Star Break.

And Stewart ain't coming back period. Navarro may end up being the platoon DH with Cron, Green, or Cowgill.

Cowgill, Navarro, Calhoun all look like studs and are keepers. The problem is that they all play the outfield, the Angles have only one spot there, and they all throw left-handed. Which means they can't be converted to the infield. If the trend keeps on, we might have to trade one of them at some point.

Edited by moccasin

Look, Cowgill is a fine player.  Very effective as a 4th OF.  He's doing his job, which is produce when given the playing time.  He's hitting .321/.412 right now and playing fine defense.  He's exactly what this team needed, but once Calhoun returns, Cowgill needs to return to the job he's best suited for, which is 4th OF and late inning defensive substitute as well as pinch runner.  

His career batting average in the minors is .292, and there's nothing that suggests his current pace of .321 in the majors is even remotely sustainable.  

Calhoun plays defense just as well as Cowgill does, offers the same speed and plate discipline, but has more power, should hit for a higher average, is younger and has a higher ceiling.   When Hamilton and Calhoun are healthy, they need to be playing everyday because the Angels are a better team with them than without them. 

While Cowgill is due for some regression, you can't deny that he's done everything he needed to do to earn his way into the lineup. Cron has hit well so far, but he doesn't bring as much to the table as Cowgill has so far. When Hamilton and Calhoun get back, I'd like to do the 3 outfielders and a DH with Trout, Calhoun, Hamilton, and Cowgill until Cowgill (possibly) cools off. Cron would have to be sent down, but he's basically a one dimensional player. He hits baseballs really hard, but that's it. He's not much of a defender, can't run, and can't play multiple positions.

Edited by Don Tomlinson