• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Collin Cowgill

markb

The negative attention directed at him in the last couple days has got me wondering, as someone who doesn't follow the minors as close as some others, about why he's seemingly been treated as a throwaway player over the course of his career.

Watching him play, he's pretty quick and seems to be a solid defender.  And from a statistical standpoint, it looks like he's shown promise in the minors, posting a .285/.360/.464 line in AA in '10, and then a beastly .354/.430/.554 line in AAA in '11.   

Oakland gave up on him pretty quickly last year after only 104 PAs and a .269/.336/.317 line, and after naming him their starting CF this year, the Mets gave up on him after only 63 PAs.  

I know he's "old" now at 27 after all the bouncing around, but it seems like he should've been given more opportunity than he's seen.  Is there some red flag I'm unaware of?  

The negative attention directed at him in the last couple days has got me wondering, as someone who doesn't follow the minors as close as some others, about why he's seemingly been treated as a throwaway player over the course of his career.

Watching him play, he's pretty quick and seems to be a solid defender.  And from a statistical standpoint, it looks like he's shown promise in the minors, posting a .285/.360/.464 line in AA in '10, and then a beastly .354/.430/.554 line in AAA in '11.   

Oakland gave up on him pretty quickly last year after only 104 PAs and a .269/.336/.317 line, and after naming him their starting CF this year, the Mets gave up on him after only 63 PAs.  

I know he's "old" now at 27 after all the bouncing around, but it seems like he should've been given more opportunity than he's seen.  Is there some red flag I'm unaware of?  

Shhh.  Quiet.  Don't you know, when there is a witch hunt going on, if you speak up, you are a witch?

He's taking Calhoun's playing time who's already 25 and isn't getting any younger. Since we aren't competing and Bourjos is on the DL, Now is the time we should let him play everyday to see what we have in him.

I wouldn't argue Cowgill should take playing time from Calhoun -- I agree Calhoun has more upside at this stage.  I was thinking more along the lines of Shuck.  Shuck has had plenty of time to show us what he is: a defensively inept, zero power guy who has produced 0.1 WAR in 271 PAs.  I don't know if Cowgill could do any better, but given his minor league numbers make him look like Barry Bonds in comparison, I'd rather see if he could be a better 4th OF for us.

I tohonestly makes me wonder what Dipoto's infatuation with under-performing 4th and 5th OF's is.  Guys like Cowgill and Shuck, they have a place on a major league team somewhere.  But when that team already have the likes of Trout, Hamilton, Bourjos, Trumbo and Calhoun along with Witherspoon and Grichuk in the minors, well, it leaves the other guys with little role at all. 

I think we can all agree that while Cowgill and Shuck are nice little tools to have in the cupboard, under no circumstance should either be playing above Kole Calhoun.