• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia bunting Mike Trout over with Erick Aybar

Chuck

Granted this is spring training, but something I've feared all along with Erick Aybar in the 2-hole seems to be a thing of reality heading into the season. Since Aybar has returned from the WBC, Scioscia has used Erick Aybar to bunt Mike Trout over THREE TIMES! 

You don't throw away outs with the likes of Mike Trout and potentially Peter Bourjos on base (who have speed to steal bags). I would rather roll the dice with a stolen base (Especially with Mike Trout who has a high success rate) and have Aybar in an RBI situation, than see Trout at 2B with one out and Pujols & Hamilton coming up. 

Mike, go for the big inning, you have the hitters to do it. Please do not sacrifice outs unless it's Bourjos bunting over Iannetta or Callaspo at the bottom of the lineup to get in scoring position for Mike Trout. 

This really concerns me and was one of the main reasons why I wanted Callaspo in the 2-hole (not as accomplished bunting as Aybar). 

With the pitching staff a concern going into the regular season, it would behoove Scioscia to manage the team's offense in a way that will maximize its potential for scoring as many runs as possible.

EOM, Discuss.....

Truot, Aybar and Bourjos have all been bunting repeatedly. Hopefully this is just a drill / practice for late inning high tie situtions and not a plan for the regular season in the first two innings.

I really hope that's the case. 

I'm going to be tearing my hair out during the regular season if this trend continues from April 1st on. 

I agree totally, Chuck.

With the potential in this offense, playing for one run early in games will hurt, especially with the pitching situation.

Can Scioscia keep himself from doing it? I would like to think so, but experience tells me no.

I am still in the Kendrick corner to bat 2nd, but realize I am nearly alone there.

Rule #1: If Aybar is in the batter's box, he's at least thinking about bunting.

Rule #2: If Aybar tries to swing away, he's still thinking he should have tried to bunt.

Rule #3: If Aybar is in the game, he will try to bunt.

Rule #4: The only way Aybar is not trying to bunt is if he is out of the lineup.

Rule #5: Never, ever, under any circumstances be surprised when Aybar bunts.

Rule #1: If Aybar is in the batter's box, he's at least thinking about bunting.

Rule #2: If Aybar tries to swing away, he's still thinking he should have tried to bunt.

Rule #3: If Aybar is in the game, he will try to bunt.

Rule #4: The only way Aybar is not trying to bunt is if he is out of the lineup.

Rule #5: Never, ever, under any circumstances be surprised when Aybar bunts.

as of now I'd like to see Kendrick in the 2-spot, Bourjos in the 9-spot. Kendrick shouldn't get doubled up nearly as often with speedy guys on base in front of him as opposed to guys like Morales or Iannetta.

Maybe Scioscia will try this against LHP. 

Granted this is spring training, but something I've feared all along with Erick Aybar in the 2-hole seems to be a thing of reality heading into the season. Since Aybar has returned from the WBC, Scioscia has used Erick Aybar to bunt Mike Trout over THREE TIMES! 

You don't throw away outs with the likes of Mike Trout and potentially Peter Bourjos on base (who have speed to steal bags). I would rather roll the dice with a stolen base (Especially with Mike Trout who has a high success rate) and have Aybar in an RBI situation, than see Trout at 2B with one out and Pujols & Hamilton coming up. 

Mike, go for the big inning, you have the hitters to do it. Please do not sacrifice outs unless it's Bourjos bunting over Iannetta or Callaspo at the bottom of the lineup to get in scoring position for Mike Trout. 

This really concerns me and was one of the main reasons why I wanted Callaspo in the 2-hole (not as accomplished bunting as Aybar). 

With the pitching staff a concern going into the regular season, it would behoove Scioscia to manage the team's offense in a way that will maximize its potential for scoring as many runs as possible.

EOM, Discuss.....

Chuck, I couldn't agree with you more. When you first started the thread about Callaspo batting second instead of Aybar that was the first thought that came to mind for me. Callaspo is not know as a particulary adept bunter, but is a good contact hitter with some doubles power and a fairly low K rate. With Aybar second, Mike will tend to play small ball tactics, and with being sandwiched between Trout and Pujos who is protected by Hamilton that is simply going to give away outs and early runs. This almost makes me wish Dipoto would trade away Aybar as well. Of course I said 'almost', as we are not going to get a better shortstop. Look how well Torii did put in that spot. Granted, Callaspo is not as good as Torii, but he has a competent bat.

I agree totally, Chuck.

With the potential in this offense, playing for one run early in games will hurt, especially with the pitching situation.

Can Scioscia keep himself from doing it? I would like to think so, but experience tells me no.

I am still in the Kendrick corner to bat 2nd, but realize I am nearly alone there.

I would be onboard with that. A couple of seasons ago, Torii was the DP king. However, he really cut down on that stat last season, particularly in the two hole. If Pujols is back to normal, the second hole hitter will see a lot of fastballs. Howie hits those extremely well - and he has more power than either Aybar or Callaspo. Callaspo is more disciplined and a better contact hitter, and is also a better choice for the two hole than Aybar in my opinion.

Mike needs to learn to evolve with the team. This is no longer a pitching heavy/sacrifice for 1 run team. They are going to score runs in bunches and from the looks of the pitching staff, they are going to need to to win games.

He is so freaking stubborn.

Wasn't it pretty clear today that they were working on things?  That's all this is.  If it's obvious to US...the fans...that Aybar needs to work on his bunting ability, then maybe he should be working on it.  Some people understand bunting others don't.  Those that don't, hate it.  In my opinion, bunting in the early innings in spring training is simply that...training.  For when it's late in a game and we really need that run.

I'm glad they work on it during games.