• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia bunting Mike Trout over with Erick Aybar

Chuck

There seem to be 2 conflicting numbers representing Aybars bunting success last year. I don't know who's right, Dochalo says 16-40, which is a .400 success rate. I can't seem to find the splits on ESPN, so I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I was not arguing the success rate of Aybars' bunt attempts, I was simply stating this his successful bunts tended to happen at a time where they had little to no impact on the outcome of the game. Kinda like Vernon Wells hitting a home run in the 9th inning of a game when we're down by 4 runs. 

Wellsy-esque (adj.) : Hitting a home run in the 8th or 9th inning when the team is winning, or losing, by 4+ runs.

Yeah, you get the mark on your stats, and 25 for Wells in 2011 looks nice, but how much did it really help the team? 

So maybe I'm wrong, I'm just recalling what I've seen the past couple years from Aybar, and I do pay attention to a lot of Angel games during the season. And you know what? I'm definitely pulling for Aybar to reek some havoc in the box and on those basepaths this year. He pushes the envelope when it comes to aggressiveness, and it's nice to see the passion. But like I said, I would like him to take those risks with a smarter approach. 

Successful teams DO NOT waste outs. And with the bats we have, there's no reason to. 

I was getting my info from John Dewan and Billjamesonline.com  Pretty solid source I'm pretty sure.

2012 - http://www.billjamesonline.com/the_flat_bat_award_2012_/

2011 - http://www.billjamesonline.com/flat_bat_award_2011/

I'm not a fan of wasting outs, ever -- but I am a fan of the ability to bunt for a base hit -- something Aybar is pretty good at actually.  I've never actually seen any data tracking the "clutchiness" of a bunter, and youll have to forgive me if I'd like to see something more than a random guy's recollection of events, but I get it.   You don't think his bunts mean much because they aren't clutch....  

Well, apparently Aybar gets A LOT of meaningless bunts because he's got a pretty long run of success BUNTING for hits.

2010 - http://www.foxsportsnext.com/mlb/los-angeles-dodgers/stories/kershaw-wins--flat-bat-award-2010-.20110201.html

2009 - http://viewfromthebleachers.com/blog/2010/06/04/flat-bat-award-2009/

Sorry, but IMO, Aybar's "stupidity" gets overstated on this board.  

You guys bitch about nonsense so much you believe the nonsense to be a factor in games. And yet you won't put one minute of time to research the basics that put most of this silliness into perspective.

I got a chuckle out of the non clutch bunt thing.   Because lord knows he wouldn't get called stupid for trying to bunt in a situation like that -- right?

Sorry, but IMO, Aybar's "stupidity" gets overstated on this board.  

I'd actually say that's the one thing that doesn't get overstated on this board.

I am willing to reconsider my stance, and I'm hoping Aybar becomes an effective "pest" to other teams.

But I want him to do it well!