• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia bunting Mike Trout over with Erick Aybar

Chuck

During ST, I don't care what inning it's in or who's on base. ST is when I want them honing these kind of fundamentals. Aybar is typically a very good bunter including a good number of bunt singles. A good jump by Trout and with Aybars speed, it can be a very effective strategy.

During ST, I don't care what inning it's in or who's on base. ST is when I want them honing these kind of fundamentals. Aybar is typically a very good bunter including a good number of bunt singles. A good jump by Trout and with Aybars speed, it can be a very effective strategy.

I don't have a problem with this if it's in ST games and they're working on perfecting their craft. What I do have a problem with is if this is carried into the regular season. 

If Trout is not on base and Aybar wants to bunt for a base hit, great. But I don't want Pujols and Hamilton coming up to the plate with an out already on the scoreboard when there shouldn't be one. 

I feel like the problem is teams know when Aybar is going to bunt and it takes away its effectiveness.

I would also say  he lacks the ability to bunt in clutch situations when the team really needs it. Yeah that playoff blunder was quite the scene, and maybe i'm wrong, but I tend to remember his successful bunting being Wellsy-esque.

I used to be a bigger fan of Aybar before he started making so many boneheaded mistakes. Now I just wonder how the hell he's gonna find a way to screw things up. However, and most importantly, I hope to see some growth and improvement this season from Aybar playing smarter ball.

Aybar had very good success bunting last year. When batting behind Trout Scioscia did not over use the bunt so I think the worry is premature.

I don't remember much of the Trout-Aybar punch in the 1st half before Torii took over there. All I know is, Torii never bunted from the 2-spot and the Angels were very successful offensively from in the 2nd half. It was a dynamo of a 1-2 punch too! I would rather Aybar drive the ball like Torii into the gaps and score Trout easily with doubles and even sometimes, singles. 

Torii wasn't a good bunter or the kind of player you want bunting. Like I said, with Trout getting the early break with his speed, and Aybar with his bunt abilities and foot speed, the play has an added potential. That's not to say it should be used often or early in the game, but because of the two skill sets it can be a very effective strategy.

I don't remember much of the Trout-Aybar punch in the 1st half before Torii took over there. All I know is, Torii never bunted from the 2-spot and the Angels were very successful offensively from in the 2nd half. It was a dynamo of a 1-2 punch too! I would rather Aybar drive the ball like Torii into the gaps and score Trout easily with doubles and even sometimes, singles. 

He did once from what I can remember. May have been on his own but it was definitely a sacrifice. In the first inning. In Texas. I think we'll see it more if Aybar is batting 2nd. 

From the Angels starting roster they had all of 17 bunts last season. From the bench players the most sacrifices came from Bobby Wilson with 13, simply because he was not that good of a hitter so bunting at least gave the chance of moving a runner.

Aybar had 7 sacrifice bunts last season, the most he ever had was 12. So I think you guys are over reacting to Spring training numbers, they are not translating into the regular season.

There is one situation where I have no problem with bunting (given this lineup and pitching staff): if it's late and tied or the Angels have a small lead where one insurance run is key, then by all means have Bourjos, Hester, or even Aybar bunt. Never EVER have Trout bunt, unless he decides to bunt for a hit.

This is one of the reasons why I also want Callaspo hitting second. Callaspo doesn't strike out much, and has the ability to hit behind the runner, which is not the same thing as a sacrifice (he could punch it thru the 3-4 hole, for instance), and can hit it into the gaps. Callaspo also takes the occasional walk, which is more than I can say for most of the rest of this lineup of free-swingers.

Granted this is spring training, but something I've feared all along with Erick Aybar in the 2-hole seems to be a thing of reality heading into the season. Since Aybar has returned from the WBC, Scioscia has used Erick Aybar to bunt Mike Trout over THREE TIMES! 

You don't throw away outs with the likes of Mike Trout and potentially Peter Bourjos on base (who have speed to steal bags). I would rather roll the dice with a stolen base (Especially with Mike Trout who has a high success rate) and have Aybar in an RBI situation, than see Trout at 2B with one out and Pujols & Hamilton coming up. 

Mike, go for the big inning, you have the hitters to do it. Please do not sacrifice outs unless it's Bourjos bunting over Iannetta or Callaspo at the bottom of the lineup to get in scoring position for Mike Trout. 

This really concerns me and was one of the main reasons why I wanted Callaspo in the 2-hole (not as accomplished bunting as Aybar). 

With the pitching staff a concern going into the regular season, it would behoove Scioscia to manage the team's offense in a way that will maximize its potential for scoring as many runs as possible.

EOM, Discuss.....

If he does that during the season..than he's basically just wasting an out 9/10 times.

I agree totally, Chuck.

With the potential in this offense, playing for one run early in games will hurt, especially with the pitching situation.

Can Scioscia keep himself from doing it? I would like to think so, but experience tells me no.

I am still in the Kendrick corner to bat 2nd, but realize I am nearly alone there.

Not alone, I'm on board