• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kazmir Pitching a Gem; Callaspo HRs. sky is falling

Someone in the Cards OF will go down with an injury, Randal Grichuk will get called up and will promptly win NL rookie of the year.

They'd have to have three OFers go down, as Tavares and Piscotty would be ahead of Grichuk on their depth chart.

Butcher couldn't fix Kazmir. Dude's fb velocity was topping out at 86 MPH here. No clue what happened after his year off from baseball, but he returned and his FB was 6 mph better....back to where it was during his years with the Rays

He pitched with Clemens during his year away from the bigs. Maybe the Rocket hooked him up with some good stuff

LOL at people ragging on Butcher when it comes to Kazmir.

Butcher was Kazmir's pitching coach in TB a year before he had his best season when he led the league in K's.

Kazmir attributed that season and his success to Mike Butcher. 

LOL at people ragging on Butcher when it comes to Kazmir.

Butcher was Kazmir's pitching coach when he had his best years in TB, including when he led the league in K's.

Wrong, Butcher was the Rays pitching coach for one year and Kazmir did not lead the league in K's. Rays had a staff era near 5. Butcher was not retained by Maddon and company the following year.

Wrong, Butcher was the Rays pitching coach for one year and Kazmir did not lead the league in K's. Rays had a staff era near 5. Butcher was not retained by Maddon and company the following year.

You are right, but Kazmir gave Butcher all the credit. I know because I interviewed him in the Safeco clubhouse after his Angels debut a few years back. 

http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/angelswincom-at-yard-kazmir-has-rhythm.html

Since the All-Star break (Including Wednesday's debut gem), Kazmir is 4-3 with a 4.07 ERA and six of his last seven starts have been quality starts. Kazmir's previous start, against Toronto, may have been his best of the season, going six innings while giving up just one run and striking out 10 Blue Jays. That makes 18 strikeouts in Kazmir's last 12.1 innings. The strikeouts are a good indication Kaz is back on track. In 2007, he led the American League in strikeouts with 239, a year after he worked with now Angels' pitching coach Mike Butcher.

"We had fun in 2006 working together," he said. "I learned a lot from Butch, did a lot of bullpen sessions and that carried over to 2007. I just think he and I, our personality type, worked well together. That just translated well into my routine and game."

He signed for 4 years at $8 mill/year.  

Angels with a bad decision for not wanting to give that to him, IMO.  

Angels should have first given Vargas a qualifying offer, thereby reducing his cash value to other teams, then attempted to negotiate a multi year deal.

Any of the three possible outcomes from that (getting a draft pick, getting Vargas for 1 year/ $14M, getting Vargas for a reasonable multiple year deal) would have been better than the Angels current sitaution. 

Edited by ScottLux

Angels should have first given Vargas a qualifying offer, thereby reducing his cash value to other teams, then attempted to negotiate a multi year deal.

Any of the three possible outcomes from that (getting a draft pick, getting Vargas for 1 year/ $14M, getting Vargas for a reasonable multiple year deal) would have been better than the Angels current sitaution. 

This I agree with. 

What's next?

Bourjos stays completely healthy and scores 120 runs leading off for the cardinals?

Trumbo hits 40 bombs?

When will something actually work out for the angels while screwing over another team.

Well in all honesty it is on you if your surprised PB stays healthy.  You are part of a group that believes one year of bad luck on injuries equates being injured every year.  PB only was sidelined for any real length of time last year. 

The year before he was beaten out by Trout.

I'm not sure what the fear was of having to pay Vargas $14 mill for one year. Sure it's more than he is worth, but it's also less than half of the total value he ended up signing for. Of course as I said many times in the offseason this team has been seriously pinching pennies - of course DiPoto also said we were under budget.