• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

With the Addition of Alvarez, do we have a competition?

gotbeer

Small sample sizes.  But this spring.

Santiago 2.76 ERA, 16.1 IP, 1.04 WHIP, .186 avg

Alvarez 3.38 ERA, 10.2 IP, 1.31 WHIP, .233 avg

Richards 5.40 ERA, 11.2 IP, 1.46 WHIP, .340 avg

Skaggs 6.14 ERA, 14.2 IP, 1.77 WHIP, .322 avg

Blanton, 6.75 ERA, 16.0 IP, 1.25 WHIP, .254 avg

I believe everyone (might be wrong here) but Blanton has options.  

I honestly could not care less about what a pitcher's stats are after 10-20 innings in spring. None of them have been so bad to be worthy of concern, imo.

I think Richards and Santiago are guaranteed spots. Skaggs is really the only question but I think he makes it regardless simply because of his upside.

Yeah, Scioscia has flat out said that Santiago is in the rotation and it's really hard to imagine a scenario where Richards doesn't get his (perhaps last) shot to prove he's a big league starter here.

I think there's more competition for a long-reliever/swingman type if the Angels decide to carry one, than for a rotation spot.

I think Santiago is proving he should start.  

But with the addition of Alvarez, I think it throws one spot up for grabs, with Alvarez in the lead.

The last spot, unfortunately might go to Blanton.  They just owe him too much money.  And while his ERA is up there, his WHIP and opponent average is right in line with a 5 starter.  Richards and Skaggs could have made the option a slam dunk, but they haven't.  And if Richards and Skaggs still have options, I can see Blanton getting April before they decide to cut bait.  

I think Alvarez could take Skaggs spot to start the season. Santiago is the 3. Richards is the 4. He's got great peripherals this spring if not a great ERA. Skaggs velocity has improved but he hasn't quite got the results. Still Alvarez could take Skaggs spot if he struggles in April.

The Angels intend to go with a 12-man staff.  That means 7 relievers, with Burnett beginning the year (and probably much more) on the DL.  You're likely looking at Frieri, Smith, Jepsen, DDLR and Kohn having their spots locked down.  That last two spots will be a competition among lefties Maronde vs Moran and Blanton vs Salas.

Alvarez, LeBlanc and Shoemaker's strong springs essentially make Joe Blanton expendable.  Is he higher than those guys on the depth chart?  Sure.  But circumstances dictate that Blanton's presence is unneeded.   

The Angels intend to go with a 12-man staff.  That means 7 relievers, with Burnett beginning the year (and probably much more) on the DL.  You're likely looking at Frieri, Smith, Jepsen, DDLR and Kohn having their spots locked down.  That last two spots will be a competition among lefties Maronde vs Moran and Blanton vs Salas.

Alvarez, LeBlanc and Shoemaker's strong springs essentially make Joe Blanton expendable.  Is he higher than those guys on the depth chart?  Sure.  But circumstances dictate that Blanton's presence is unneeded.   

I don't care what anyone says about the improvements to the BP, I'm not liking those 7.  Kohn shit the bed more than once last season, Jepsen is a wild card, and so the additions are Maronde/Moran and Blanton/Salas?  I'm about to shit the bed, too!

In the interview before today's game, Butcher said that since the Angels don't have a Thursday game until mid-May (hard to believe, but true), they plan to go with an 11 man staff to open the season. He might be wrong, but I'm sure he's discussed this with Scioscia and Dipoto more than any of us have.

Edited by gurn67

In the interview before today's game, Butcher said that since the Angels don't have a Thursday game until mid-May (hard to believe, but true), they plan to go with an 11 man staff to open the season. He might be wrong, but I'm sure he's discussed this with Scioscia and Dipoto more than any of us have.

I'm positive that's an option, and intriguing one too.  I was going off of what I was told, but if Butch says 11-man, I'll take his word for it.  I think that regardless, 11 man or 12 man, I don't think Joe Blanton will be an Angel in 2 weeks unless someone else gets hurt. 

I don't understand why people continue to mention Blanton as an option for the rotation, he WILL NOT be part of it.  

If Skaggs continues to struggle in his next 2 starts, I can see Alvarez as the #5 and Skaggs in SLC. I love Skaggs' stuff, but I'm not sure if he's quite ready. 

Santiago's proven thus far that he deserves to start and will probably be our 3 starter come Opening Day. I think Richards just needs to start and iron things out, if he can just pitch like he did in the second half of last season (3.72 ERA) I would be more than happy with that. Give Skaggs the fifth spot and have Alvarez pitch in the long relief role. Shoemaker, LeBlanc, and hopefully Sappington at the end of the season, give us minor league depth. I'd still like to see the Angels sign another starter to go to AAA though, 

The Angels are not going with an 11 man staff. Although they have a lot of off days they still need 5 starters because they have 5 games in a row on the first trip. If you option someone he has to be down for 10 days. You could technically option Skaggs for exactly 10 days (if mar 30 counts as one day since the season opens then), but that doesn't really help much.

This is what's certain about the bullpen

Frieri

Smith

Jepsen

Burnett (DL)

Moran (DL)

DLR likely to start on DL

Salas likely to make it

Kohn likely

Maronde or Lyon or Alvarez or Blanton for the last 2 spots, in that order I believe

The Angels are not going with an 11 man staff. Although they have a lot of off days they still need 5 starters because they have 5 games in a row on the first trip. If you option someone he has to be down for 10 days. You could technically option Skaggs for exactly 10 days (if mar 30 counts as one day since the season opens then), but that doesn't really help much.

This is what's certain about the bullpen

Frieri

Smith

Jepsen

Burnett (DL)

Moran (DL)

DLR likely to start on DL

Salas likely to make it

Kohn likely

Maronde or Lyon or Alvarez or Blanton for the last 2 spots, in that order I believe

Ugh, that pen does not look attractive at all. I like what Dipoto has done with the starting rotation, but I think he overlooked the pen.