• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hank Conger

SoWhat

I know it's just ST, but he's been on absolute tear! It's really disappointing that offense from a catcher doesnt mean jack to Scioscia. If DiPoto decides to make a mistake in trading away Conger, what do you guys think he can fetch?

At this point, I don't think you get much.

I still like his offensive upside if he can stick behind the plate, but his throwing game is somewhere between rough and bordering on terrible.

And his value plummets if he can't stick behind the plate.

If I were Dipoto I'd say no.  Catchers, with 6 years of control left, and power needs to be given a shot.  Even if it's on the bench as a third catcher.  I'd rather find out if I have a hitter, than trade him away and watch him develop as a Piazza on another team.  

piazza is a stretch. best hitting catcher of all time is a tall order.

Yeah, I'd say Piazza is a bit of stretch. I can see him putting numbers that are similar to Victor Martinez.

I don't understand the comparisons here. Why does everyone think Hank Conger -- left handed catcher who hits for power -- is going to turn into a mediocre right handed relief pitcher? 

Yeah, I'd say Piazza is a bit of stretch. I can see him putting numbers that are similar to Victor Martinez.

I don't see that at all.  Victor martinez is a very good hitter.  Conger isn't.  Or at least he hasn't shown it the major league level.

Martinez can also play a half way decent catcher.

That's kinda like saying "Yeah I don't think trumbo will be as good as babe ruth, he'll probably be more like Jimmie Foxx"

Conger will get the backup catcher spot. I don't think he has anything more to learn from AAA after spending most of the last three seasons there when he wasn't in Anaheim.

He hasn't hit well in the majors, so honestly I feel the best thing for Conger is to get regular major league pitching, show he can hit and work on his defense daily with Iannetta, Sciocia, Soliz, and Gregario.

If nothing else, he increases his trade value dramatically if he shows he can hammer major league pitching. He's hit .290-.300 in every level of the minors save for three games in Arizona in 2007 when he was 19 before he was moved to Cedar Rapids. In AA and AAA he's consistently had OBP higher than .365 with slugging percentages in the high .400's.

The guy needs regular playing time in the majors and the only way that happens if he gets his defense under control.

In his one regular stint in the majors he was having trouble with base stealers, but he's not had that problem in the minors, throwing out 27-30% of runners which is acceptable.

The Yips has to work itself out. Otherwise, just run to the pitcher every time. (Kidding)

His defense wasn't a problem yesterday, with two strong throws.

Scioscia needs to give Conger 50 games as a starter up here, and see what happens.

This isn't 2011, when he got that time and struggled defensively and with a .206 BA.  That was TWO years ago.

He still had a .636 OPS, not horrible and better than Mathisn't, to be sure.   He did hit 6 HRs in 177 at bats.

Conger is 25, the time is here!

Iannetta will be even more effective in not having to catch more than 110 games. 

If he is the backup, he'll get those starts but his defense needs to be consistent at this point. He should not be struggling like he has at this stage of his career.

The bar has been set pretty low of late for defense for Angels' catchers.  He should be OK with that in mind.

The bar has been set pretty low of late for defense for Angels' catchers. He should be OK with that in mind.

I don't know about that.

I like Hank, but not only has he struggled to throw out runners but opponents have run on him a lot. He's over 1 stolen base allowed per game started in the majors.

That's bad even compared to someone like Napoli.

Scioscia has overrated catcher's defense a lot in the past, but Conger's is legitimately pretty bad. At least when it comes to throwing.