• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hank Conger

SoWhat

Conger will get the backup catcher spot. I don't think he has anything more to learn from AAA after spending most of the last three seasons there when he wasn't in Anaheim.

He hasn't hit well in the majors, so honestly I feel the best thing for Conger is to get regular major league pitching, show he can hit and work on his defense daily with Iannetta, Sciocia, Soliz, and Gregario.

If nothing else, he increases his trade value dramatically if he shows he can hammer major league pitching. He's hit .290-.300 in every level of the minors save for three games in Arizona in 2007 when he was 19 before he was moved to Cedar Rapids. In AA and AAA he's consistently had OBP higher than .365 with slugging percentages in the high .400's.

The guy needs regular playing time in the majors and the only way that happens if he gets his defense under control.

In his one regular stint in the majors he was having trouble with base stealers, but he's not had that problem in the minors, throwing out 27-30% of runners which is acceptable.

The Yips has to work itself out. Otherwise, just run to the pitcher every time. (Kidding)

Ianetta is solid - and a smart catcher/hitter. However, we haven't had a good throwing and gold glove caliber defensive catcher since Benji was in his prime. So what is the harm in giving Hank a shot. Sure he has defensive shortcomings behind the plate, and his major league offensive numbers are substandard so far - but we have been dealing with catchers like that for years, so really what is the difference?

Ianetta is solid - and a smart catcher/hitter. However, we haven't had a good throwing and gold glove caliber defensive catcher since Benji was in his prime. So what is the harm in giving Hank a shot. Sure he has defensive shortcomings behind the plate, and his major league offensive numbers are substandard so far - but we have been dealing with catchers like that for years, so really what is the difference?

The difference is that in the past we have dealt with catchers like that who had no hope of improving. Conger's past performance seems to indicate that improvement is at least possible.

Benji Gil caught for the halos?

I'd like to see Conger hit in the regular season before I annoint him the next Piazza or even Lieberthal for that matter. I like the guy, but from what I've seen of him, he reminds me a lot of Todd Greene. Below average defensive catcher who hacks at everything Come opening day, the pitching will be totally different. For example, Howie will be wondering why the pitchers aren't throwing him so many fastballs up and over the plate that he can rocket to right field.

It's not just the Angels that value defense for a catcher. Jesus Montero was the Yanks top prospect for a couple years. He constantly put up solid offensive numbers but sucked behind the plate. Yanks kept him in the minors for an extra year or two hoping he would figure it out. Eventually they gave him a pro spot and he mashed as expected. But he also was a liability at defense, as expected. While Jesus was in the minors, the Yanks kept him on the trading block but wouldn't get serious offers because of his questionable D. But they gave him some Pro time to showcase his offense and the M's thought he was worth Pineda.

As Conger is concerned, I don't expect him to work through his defensive woes. He just needs to figure out how to become average. I would say leave him at AAA through April/May. Call him up around May/June and give him some AB's. Just as the M's did with Montero, another team may be looking for an offensive catcher at trade deadline.

Is there that much speed and base-stealing going on in ML Baseball these days, for throwing to really be a "make or break" in a catcher's skillset? Especially in the AL?

Clubs are really good at exploiting a player's weakness. If a batter can make a BB turn into scoring position, that is huge. A team can't give up second base and expect to be successful.

Clubs are really good at exploiting a player's weakness. If a batter can make a BB turn into scoring position, that is huge. A team can't give up second base and expect to be successful.

Ok...I can dig that.

Often hear some of the old timers bemoan the lack of base-running, base stealing, as a lost art.

With the lack of pitching rearing it's ugly head so far in ST, probably goig to be a lot of high scoring games, decided by 1 run.

9-8, 8-7 scores are probably going to be the norm until Dipo can add some arms.