• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tomorrow is the non-tender deadline

Hubs

All arbitration eligible players have to be tendered a contract by tomorrow I think by 8 EST.

Nov. 30: Non-tender deadline. This is the deadline for teams to offer their pre-arbitration and arbitration-eligible players a contract for 2019. They don't have to sign them just yet, but they do have to offer a contract. Players who do not receive a contract offer and considered "non-tendered" and thus become free agents. Several notable players are non-tendered every offseason as teams decide their salary outweighs their performance, and the trade market turns up nothing exciting. Jared Hughes and Drew Smyly were among last year's non-tendered players.

I still think a Shoemaker for McCann swap makes sense for both teams, though I’d rather keep Shoe around and think we could do better than McCann for catcher. Travis d’Arnaud and Tony Wolters are worth keeping an eye on too.

Robbie Grossman or Jake Marisnick would be fantastic 4th OF options, or combined, a really intriguing RF platoon if they actually do think Calhoun could be dealt.

Dan Straily would be a cheap way to cover back of rotation innings, Tanner Rooark a little more expensive but quality arm. Andriese would be a versatile arm to add. Chad Bettis would be interesting to add to the #6 SP depth. Bryan Mitchell as well.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I still think a Shoemaker for McCann swap makes sense for both teams, though I’d rather keep Shoe around and think we could do better than McCann for catcher. Travis d’Arnaud and Tony Wolters are worth keeping an eye on too.

Man, I was fixated on Brian, then realized you mean James.   I wonder if he doesnt just get let go given his subpar season last year.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Man, I was fixated on Brian, then realized you mean James.   I wonder if he doesnt just get let go given his subpar season last year.

At worst, he probably gives you Maldonado-level production, with a little more offensively. 

I’m not against bringing Maldy back either, I think the catching market may wind up a little depressed and his price won’t be bad. The bat isn’t much, but there’s a little curiosity to see what he and the new pitching coach may have picked up while in Houston.

If we address other needs first and just stick something cheap and comparable to our recent catcher production, I wouldn’t be upset. I’d prefer getting someone like Hedges or d’Arnaud - if they finally realize some of their potential we have a good catcher under control for a few seasons. Gomes is older but has some control too, his options allow you to go year to year.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

At worst, he probably gives you Maldonado-level production, with a little more offensively. 

I’m not against bringing Maldy back either, I think the catching market may wind up a little depressed and his price won’t be bad. The bat isn’t much, but there’s a little curiosity to see what he and the new pitching coach may have picked up while in Houston.

If we address other needs first and just stick something cheap and comparable to our recent catcher production, I wouldn’t be upset.

I think the catching market is one you maybe wait out a bit -- some of the teams that were clearly in need of catchers have filled those spots and you have guys like Cervilli supposedly being shopped on the trade market as well as Realmuto...   With the Dodgers holding the QO on Grandal his market may be limited as well...   There may be bargains to be had before this is all said and done.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think the catching market is one you maybe wait out a bit -- some of the teams that were clearly in need of catchers have filled those spots and you have guys like Cervilli supposedly being shopped on the trade market as well as Realmuto...   With the Dodgers holding the QO on Grandal his market may be limited as well...   There may be bargains to be had before this is all said and done.

Yup - not interested overpaying for a position that traditionally struggles with consistent production or durability. 

And Eppler has done a very good job finding catchers cheaply, even if they’re not terribly exciting, they’re usually positive value. And that extends down through the farm too. We find a lot of catchers from other orgs to round out the minor league teams that do well, and the ones we do draft produce well too. Just limited ceilings. But overall, they seem to do a good job working with catchers.

4 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Schoop is a definite NO.  Career OBP of less than .300 and last year it was below .250.  Doesn't fit what Eppler is trying to achieve.

Andrelton had a career OBP right at .304 before the Angels got him at the age of 26, and he’s improved it by ~.30 since.

Schoop just played his age 26 season and is a year removed from an All-Star campaign. Even if he doesn’t become a huge OBP threat, there’s legit power, legit defense, and he’s versatile and young. Absolutely take a chance on him.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Andrelton had a career OBP right at .304 before the Angels got him at the age of 26, and he’s improved it by ~.30 since.

Schoop just played his age 26 season and is a year removed from an All-Star campaign. Even if he doesn’t become a huge OBP threat, there’s legit power, legit defense, and he’s versatile and young. Absolutely take a chance on him.

I doubt Eppler will. 

Simmons has played one more year than Schoop and his OBP is signficantly better.  Just because Schoop is younger doesn't mean he'll improve like Simmons did.  Simmons improvment has less to do with him becoming an Angel and more to do with his own ability to make adjustments.  We haven't seen any evidence that Schoop can do the same. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

7 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I doubt Eppler will. 

Simmons has played one more year than Schoop and his OBP is signficantly better.  Just because Schoop is younger doesn't mean he'll improve like Simmons did.  Simmons improvment has less to do with him becoming an Angel and more to do with his own ability to make adjustments.  We haven't seen any evidence that Schoop can do the same. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I think he has some potential still, and even if it doesn’t come to be, he still has good enough power and defense to be useful as a stopgap, especially if a decent arb figure could be settled on.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think he has some potential still, and even if it doesn’t come to be, he still has good enough power and defense to be useful as a stopgap, especially if a decent arb figure could be settled on.

Some thought the same of Danny Espinosa - who's career OBP is even better than Schoop's. ?

4 minutes ago, halonatic13 said:

Danny was done.

Yes, he was and he still managed to put up an OBP (for the whole season) that was only 1 point less than Schoop's 2018 campaign.

Again... we can agree to disagree.

43 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So do these players get claimed by teams today as well or just released?

Non-tendered players are free agents immediately. 

Teams also try to swing trades before non-tendering people, to get something. Of course if you do it that way you have to pay the arbitration salary of the guy you acquire. 

31 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Non-tendered players are free agents immediately. 

Teams also try to swing trades before non-tendering people, to get something. Of course if you do it that way you have to pay the arbitration salary of the guy you acquire. 

Oh awesome thank you