• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

175 million Angels didn't stand a CHANCE.

Tavon Brown

This was way too much money, I could've seen this if the old blind-bidding process continued, but when they went to $20M, the Angels had a chance. Yet the Yanks and the Dogs and some other teams with capital obviously pushed the bidding into the stratosphere.

Angels were handicapped by the large contracts they already have for the future, but everyone always adds in a Trout mega deal into the equation here and that doesn't have to happen for four more seasons. Honestly the $18.6M dead money for Wells is more of a handicap than Trout is. 

Yes Trout's going to make more money in 2015, but not $30M Annually. He won't approach that number until year three of arbitration (2017). Would the Angels like to get an extension done before that? Of course, but it has to be club friendly for that to happen. A $30M AAV which would put the Angels over the CBT is not club friendly.

For the reference, the Angels have five $15M+ AAV contracts for 2014. (Hamilton, Pujols, Wells, Weaver, Wilson). For 2015, it's four (minus Wells). Trout will make $12-$15M in Arbitration. For 2016, It's still four. In 2017, It's two (Pujols and Hamilton). For 2018, it's one (Pujols). 

Adding Tanaka was possible, but not a good business decision for the team at that kind of dollar value.

Trout will never see arbitration.

Will he go to a hearing? No.

Will they approach him about an extension next off-season? Yes.

Will he accept it? Maybe. 

The Angels are not going to give him 10/300 right now, it makes zero sense for them. He's under club control for 4 more years, they won't accept the risk of injury with 4 more club control seasons left. 

When was the last time they extended a player with four years left of club control? Oh right, it's never happened under Moreno.

The last time they signed a player with any years left under arbitration control was for Jered Weaver (contract given to him during his 5th year, for 6th year and beyond) and Howie Kendrick received a four year deal before his 6th year. Erick Aybar who was extended in April of his sixth year, but it covered four years of free agency, so it was a new contract that didn't cover his last year of arbitration.

Let's see who I can find that got an extension before that, which covered more than one arbitration year….

Santana signed a four year deal in 2009 covering all three arbitration years and one free agency year. Scot Shields may have signed an extension.

Before that, you have to go back to Darin Erstad, Tim Salmon, Garrett Anderson and Troy Glaus when they would have signed extensions for a home grown player.

Tim Salmon is the last one I can find who signed an extension after just two years, and that was for $22.5 M total. 

Moreno does not believe in signing players years away from free agency.

The earliest Trout will be approached about an extension is this summer.

Edited by Hubs

When was the last time the Angels had a prospect that was worth extending prior to arbitration years under Moreno?  The answer is none.  I'm sure Arte is fully aware of the impact Mike Trout is on this team.  Mike Trout is making the Angels a household name across the country.  And I'm sure he knows that extending Trout earlier rather than later is beneficial to the team.  Just like the Angels have no reason to give Trout a 10-year contract, Trout has no reason to take one either.  I've always said that Mike Trout will max out at 7 or 8 years on his contract with the Angels.  He would take 8/$200-$225MM now and then when he's 30 or 31, it sets him up to get another contract in the 10/$300MM range.

Thanks for clarifying. I was so worried.

We were all immediately concerned about whether you would stay once we heard about tanaka signing with the Yankees. It was the first thing on our minds.

I will say this.........I wanted Tamaka in our rotation but as it turns out it was a great move for the Yankees and a great non-move for the Angels. The Yankees can easily eat the cost if Tanaka fails to produce and we can't. That's just the way it is.

the yankees are the only team that really could take this 175 million risk.

Like I said in another thread I started that got deleted for no damn reason.  Censorship at it's finest.  

The Angels are done spending.  They sent Trumbo packing for save a few million.  It wasn't for a pitcher.   Garza won't be signed.  Everything this did this year proves they overspent on AP,CJ and JH.

Those spending days are done.

Now this most likely will be deleted and my account deactivated for disagreeing this the sunshine blowing by the locals.  Oh well.  I had a good run for 2 months.  See you all at Angels Stadium.

It sure will be a fun year.  With pretty much the same damn team as last year.

Like I said in another thread I started that got deleted for no damn reason. Censorship at it's finest.

The Angels are done spending. They sent Trumbo packing for save a few million. It wasn't for a pitcher. Garza won't be signed. Everything this did this year proves they overspent on AP,CJ and JH.

Those spending days are done.

Now this most likely will be deleted and my account deactivated for disagreeing this the sunshine blowing by the locals. Oh well. I had a good run for 2 months. See you all at Angels Stadium.

It sure will be a fun year. With pretty much the same damn team as last year.

All of this is solely based on your opinion. The same opinion that said the Angels were going to get Tanaka. Sorry if I see no reason to give it any credence. BTW, you have a PM.

All of this is solely based on your opinion. The same opinion that said the Angels were going to get Tanaka. Sorry if I see no reason to give it any credence. BTW, you have a PM.

99.999999 on these boards NFL NHL NBA MLB NCAA is opinion,  Unless it is a breaking news post.   So I tried to keep hopeful that the Angels would keep building and not go into (opps we spent to much money put on the breaks) Angels.

Maybe you all didn't want Tanaka that bad.  But someone did and they spent 175 million bucks on the guy.  

So, when you said earlier that you thought he was overpaid, now you don't mean that? Oh and just because the Angels didn't get Tanaka doesn't mean they aren't going to sign another pitcher.

He was overpaid.  So was AP for 10 years.  So was Josh after the Rangers fans who boo'd him off of the field.  Nothing the Angels have done the last couple of years has been rational.

If you are going to go Crazy Angels and spend the money.  Tanaka should be here right now.   What is the gameplan then Angels?  Are we changing the gameplan 2 years in?

Edited by No Marbles

He was overpaid. So was AP for 10 years. So was Josh after the Rangers fans who boo'd him off of the field. Nothing the Angels have done the last couple of years has been rational.

Have you considered the fact they didn't sign Tanaka was a rational decision?

It seems to me taking a pass on an unproven MLB player with a potentially flat 92 MPH fastball and maybe only one or two secondary pitches for 150 million plus makes a ton of sense.