• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AL Notes: GMs, Price, Peguero

gotbeer

AL Notes: GMs, Price, Peguero

Andrew Friedman of the Rays and Billy Beane of the Athletics have the most job security of any GMs in baseball, Scout.com's Kiley McDaniel writes. At the other end of the spectrum are Jack Zduriencik of the Mariners and Jerry Dipoto of the Angels. McDaniel writes that Zduriencik could hang on in Seattle with a winning season in 2014, but that doesn't seem likely. Here are more notes from around the American League.

Never a good thing when you are lumped in with the Mariners.  

Jerry DiPoto, Angels: He’s respected in the industry but walked into a tough three-way battle with the owner and manger for control over personnel decisions. DiPoto has the least leverage of the three and someone will have to answer for the high-profile mistakes.

If accurate, sounds like a nearly impossible situation.

Really unfortunate what Jerry walked into. Signed a 3 year contract with an organization that was going to take longer than 3 years to build. He had to wipe clean and re-establish a presence in Latin America, hire new scouts, coordinators and coaches at the minor league level. Hire an entirely new front office with a new philosophy, decide who they wanted to keep and part ways with as fat as prospects go. All of this, while building a perennial contender.

He's had to rebuild an organization from the ground up and operate within the guidelines of a manager with too much power and a meddling owner.

Not only was his task impossible to complete in three years, he was set up for failure.

I don't think anyone will really ever know what level of influence Jerry had on shaping the 2013 team.  The bottom line is that it failed mostly on moves that likely had his fingerprints all over them.  Even if the Hamilton deal wasn't authored by him, the moves made to fill in the rest of the team, albeit under limited resources, could have been much better.  

I am surprised he has a job, but the fact that he does tells me that the powers that be are aware that he was limited and he's done some other good things within the org that have yet to be realized to warrant him being given another chance. 

2013 was a failure on all fronts, which is why I think he got a second chance this year. I'm on the fence with him. He talks a very good game but the results have not been good at all. Even if you consider the constraints he may have been given just about every move has gone from questionable to absolute failure since the end of 2012.

I think Dipoto is a smart guy. The Pujols and Hamilton deals were ownership driven so I can't fault him a ton for those moves.

However, the Blanton deal was absolutely terrible considering he could have gotten him for way cheaper(or not at all). Plus, he has done a terrible job of trying to fix the bullpen. 

I think he deserved another chance in 2014 but if the team struggles again, I think it's time him and Scioscia get the boot. 

Jerry DiPoto, Angels: He’s respected in the industry but walked into a tough three-way battle with the owner and manger for control over personnel decisions. DiPoto has the least leverage of the three and someone will have to answer for the high-profile mistakes.

If accurate, sounds like a nearly impossible situation.

I can't take this seriously, what with the capitalized P in Dipoto.  For ****'s sake, you're writing for a professional website.  Do a bit of editing.

I am surprised he has a job, but the fact that he does tells me that the powers that be are aware that he was limited and he's done some other good things within the org that have yet to be realized to warrant him being given another chance. 

Pretty much all of us expected either Scioscia or Dipoto to be canned after last season, and my money was on Dipoto despite the fact that I believe that much of the blame lies elsewhere. I hope that Dipoto gets the chance to at least rebuild our foundation - scouting and the farm system. Until that happens there will be no sustained excellence.