• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why the Angels should avoid Tanaka

Angelsjunky

FYI, if any team was going to give Garza 5/75 he'd have signed already.

I now believe he's looking at more like 3-4 years and 14ish per year, so 3/42 to 4/56. If he gets 3 it's likely got an option.

That's a deal you can live with.  Surprised that he would get less guaranteed years than a guy like Vargas, but if the Halos can get him for three years, awesome.

Edited by Inside Pitch

FYI, if any team was going to give Garza 5/75 he'd have signed already.

I now believe he's looking at more like 3-4 years and 14ish per year, so 3/42 to 4/56. If he gets 3 it's likely got an option.

I was actually wondering about this, so thanks for posting it.

If the Angels could sign Garza for 3/42-4/56, I'd be happy about it.  The dude would be a solid #3 for that price.

It's unfortunate that unlike 2012, there likely won't be a Michael Wacha (19th pick in 2012) like college pitcher available with the 16th pick.

I thought I read somewhere that this was a deep draft coming up?

Even so, I still believe that with your first round pick you go for the best player available, unless the difference between the best player you need (pitcher) and the best player available (let's say a position player) is negligible. But if there's a true star-talent hitter available and only mid-rotation (#3-4) talented pitchers available, then I think you go for the hitter.

I have no idea about who is available in the 2014 draft, but the Angels have the 15th pick, right? Let's say there are a dozen hitters with star, or close to star, potential in the draft, and five #1-2-talent pitchers. If all five of those pitchers go before the Angels get to pick, there would still be a few excellent hitters to choose from before going into the next tier of pitching talent. I'd go for the best hitter in that situation.

All things being equal (or close) talent-wise you go for a pitcher, of course.

Even 4/60 would be fine for Garza.

I don't think the demand for him is high enough to drive his price higher.  For example, if the Yankees sign Tanaka, a team like the Dodgers who want Tanaka won't have any interest in Garza.  That is true for many of the teams interested in Tanaka.

Edited by Jim B

Again, my choice is:

- Say no to Tanaka because he's going to be too expensive no matter what (the lowest ball prediction would be something like 5/$100M including the posting fee, but he'll probably get more than that - maybe as much as 7/$150M?)

- Say no to Garza, unless he can be had for 4/$60M or less (unlikely)

- Chad Gaudin - could be flexible as starter or (if Richards, Skaggs, and Santiago all work out) a swingman

- Chris Capuano - seems like the "best of the rest"; gives insurance if one of the young guys struggles

Then you have:

Weaver

Wilson

Richards

Skaggs

Santiago

Gaudin/Capuano

Blanton/Shoemaker

Not the prettiest rotation, but some depth and a #3-5 with solid potential. If one of those three fails, the Gaudin/Capuano signing fills in. And by signing Gaudin/Capuano, you aren't forced to put one of Skaggs or Santiago in the bullpen.

Even 4/60 would be fine for Garza.

I don't think the demand for him is high enough to drive his price higher. For example, if the Yankees sign Tanaka, a team like the Dodgers who want Tanaka won't have any interest in Garza. That is true for many of the teams interested in Tanaka.

I agree. Garza could possibly "fall into the Angels' lap" if the Yanks get Tanaka.

If the choice comes down to either of the following, which would you all prefer... assume the money is comparable on an AAV basis or close enough for comparison sake.

1) Tanaka for 5-6 year

2) Garza and either Capuano or Arroyo for maybe 2-4 years

3) Garza and Balfour and maybe another lesser tier depth type starter again for maybe 2-4 years per contract

4) Trade for pitcher using Aybar/Kendrick and maybe sign another lesser starter for depth

5) insert another option here

Edited by floplag

Nolasco is a 1.5 WAR pitcher who got 4/49.  Garza is certainly better thought of.  The fact that it's getting late in the off season has zero bearing relative to what it would normally mean to still be out there.  All the same people that wanted Garza from the beginning still do.  He's gonna be at 4/75 or 5/90.  His aav is going to be around 18mil for 4-5yrs.  I am not sure why people think he's gonna come at a bargain relative to everyone else all of a sudden. 

Nolasco is a 1.5 WAR pitcher who got 4/49. Garza is certainly better thought of. The fact that it's getting late in the off season has zero bearing relative to what it would normally mean to still be out there. All the same people that wanted Garza from the beginning still do. He's gonna be at 4/75 or 5/90. His aav is going to be around 18mil for 4-5yrs. I am not sure why people think he's gonna come at a bargain relative to everyone else all of a sudden.

Fletcher said Garza would have signed already if offered a 5/75 mil contract. Fletcher thinks he will sign for an AAV around 14 mil