• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why the Angels should avoid Tanaka

Angelsjunky

According to Michael C Jones of Yahoo Sports.

Key quotes:

Is Tanaka the answer?

In short, maybe, but it's not worth finding out the answer.

Yes, Tanaka could be a game-changer for a team that's set up to win now like the Angels, but if signing him turns out to be the wrong move, then the Halos will be 0-for-3 (after missing the playoffs in years in which they signed Pujols and Hamilton in 2012 and 2013) on big-name signings over the last three seasons.

That kind of risk-reward scenario is too much to take on for a team that's already swung for the fences and missed in a big way. Bringing in one player won't solve the depth issues that plagued the pitching staff. They need to get better across the board.

I tend to agree with Jones. Its one thing if Tanaka was going to cost Weaver/Wilson money, but he's not. I just don't think its worth the risk, in the end.

I'd rather see them:

1. Sign a Chris Capuano or Paul Maholm type. Someone who won't break the bank but can provide solid #4-type innings and it won't be a major travesty if he fails, or is replaced by Skaggs or Santiago. Or see if AJ Burnett can be coaxed into a one-year deal, or even give that Yoon guy a shot. The point being, the main thing they need in the rotation is depth - another #4 type. Hope that one of Skaggs or Richards can step up as a true #3.
  2. Bolster the bullpen with one more good reliever - Bailey, Betancourt, Mijares, maybe even Balfour a shot for a reduced rate. Or go after Chad Gaudin, who can start or be in the pen.
  3. Save that money from Tanaka and spend it on Trout. After Opening Day, of course.
Edited by Angelsjunky

I think your position is a good one, but we are so close to finding out Tanaka's bottom line that I think we should have just a little more patience.  If Tanaka can't be had for a comfortable price, skip right over Garza, and go straight to Capuano or Maholm.  If no Tanaka do go for the one additional reliever as you suggest.  Other than Tanaka there is no other starter in this free agent class to make a significant commitment on, save it for the following season, and make our #1 pick this year a darn good pitcher.

Tanaka is going to get top end Ace money and I doubt he will perform to that level. Do we really want to pay him over $100MM to be a number 3 or 4? I just think it will be a bad way to spend money when you have a guy like Garza out there and you already know what you can expect from him. And at a much cheaper rate.

My preferred choice is to sign Capuano to a 2/10 type of deal and sign Balfour to shore up the pen. 

Tanaka would be my 2nd choice and I feel a little more optimistic about him than some here. I think he ends up a nice #2 or a good #3 at worst. The money is clearly an issue though so it really just depends on what he ends up costing. 

I've posted this in the past but I haven't gotten much of response. Why not trade Aybar for Niese and a prospect and sign Balfour. Niese is only making 5 mil this year an he is a solid left. He has put up better numbers than Maholm and Cap over the last couple years.

Sign me up. Aybar + Kohn for Niese, Ruben Tejada, and a prospect. Then sign Garza.

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Garza

4. Niese

5. Richards

6. Skaggs

7. Santiago

Filthy

Sign me up. Aybar + Kohn for Niese, Ruben Tejada, and a prospect. Then sign Garza.

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Garza

4. Niese

5. Richards

6. Skaggs

7. Santiago

Filthy

Exactly! Niese is signed for 3 more year and two option years. Hi last option year being the most exp at 11 mil. Seems like a no brainer.

The oft injured Jon Niese with a career ERA+ of 95?

Check out his numbers the last couple years. He is making 5 mil this year and is a lefty. If everyone says we won't have that big of a drop off in offense between Aybar and Romine and Romine might be better defensively then do it. He is under team control for 5 years and his contract is pretty friendly. 5 mil, 7mil, 9 mil and a 10 mil option followed by 11 mil option.

I wouldn't trade Aybar right now, there's no depth behind him. And if you think getting Tejada to replace Aybar is a nice alternative, well there's a reason the Mets are looking at Stephen Drew. Give me Hammel or Capuano with Balfour and call it an offseason 

Getting Niese and Garza would turn our weak rotation into a strength with plenty of depth. 

Tejada is not a starter on his own but he can be a decent platoon partner at short and Romine's defense makes up for his below average bat.

Tejada career slash vs lefties:

.296/.367/.368

Then what do we have after that? This team has absolutely no depth whatsoever. If Richards sucks ass, or Skaggs isn't ready, we need pitchers who can replace them.

I agree with you, but blowing millions on shitty pitchers in the FA or trade market doesn't make sense either.

Yoon, Maholm, Arroyo make some sense.  Trading Aybar for a below league average pitcher does not.

Edited by Scott34