• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

John Sickels Top 20 Angels Prospects for 2014

Angelsjunky

I think this is a very fair and reasonable list. 

One of the things I find very interesting about the halos system is whether the players drafted under the new philosophy of Ric Wilson will make a move this year.  I feel like there could be a bunch of breakouts at the A/A+ level, and the dearth of legit players at AA/AAA could improve with the overall outlook being much better. 

They still seem a long ways away from having any true impact players with the exception of Cowart who I think will re-establish himself this year.  Their SP depth, I think, is going to come out of nowhere with guys like McGowin, Crowley, DeLoach, Love, O'Grady, Keudell, Sneed, Wood, Nate Smith, Etsell, Clevinger, Tobik, Fernandez, Green,  Middleton in addition to the other guys already on the radar like scoggins, sapp and skaggs.  Again, not a lot of impact there, but in a year or two a bunch of these guys could be projected as serviceable at least. 

I'd consider Cron an impact player.  With Trumbo gone and a 41 year old platoon/bench bat occupying the DH spot, Cron is primed to break into the majors this season and become a middle of the order bat next season.  .270 and 25 HR's definitely wouldn't be overshooting it.  Possibly even more. 

I'd consider Cron an impact player.  With Trumbo gone and a 41 year old platoon/bench bat occupying the DH spot, Cron is primed to break into the majors this season and become a middle of the order bat next season.  .270 and 25 HR's definitely wouldn't be overshooting it.  Possibly even more. 

Unless Ibanez really stinks it up out of the gate, Cron won't get many starts over him.

I think this is a very fair and reasonable list. 

One of the things I find very interesting about the halos system is whether the players drafted under the new philosophy of Ric Wilson will make a move this year.  I feel like there could be a bunch of breakouts at the A/A+ level, and the dearth of legit players at AA/AAA could improve with the overall outlook being much better. 

They still seem a long ways away from having any true impact players with the exception of Cowart who I think will re-establish himself this year.  Their SP depth, I think, is going to come out of nowhere with guys like McGowin, Crowley, DeLoach, Love, O'Grady, Keudell, Sneed, Wood, Nate Smith, Etsell, Clevinger, Tobik, Fernandez, Green,  Middleton in addition to the other guys already on the radar like scoggins, sapp and skaggs.  Again, not a lot of impact there, but in a year or two a bunch of these guys could be projected as serviceable at least. 

My problem is this is that we've been saying this for a couple years now, and the system just looks worse and worse - both because upper level prospects are getting traded away (or graduating - e.g. Trout, Calhoun, Richards), and because no one is stepping up to fill their shoes. So we've been in a place of various folks saying "Poor high minors depth, but a lot of potential in the low minors" for a couple years.

I mean, I agree with you that we could see a big shift towards a sense of depth in A/A+ this year, and A+/AA next, but I think a lot of teams could say the same thing - the question is whether these players will actually develop.

I think you're spot on with that projection, but I don't see that as a "middle of the order bat." He's going to be an above average hitter overall, but probably not for a first baseman. Hope I'm wrong.

ah okay nvm then

Maybe trading kendrick for another pitcher and platooning Green and Lindsey would be a good rout to go

That seems to be the most likely scenario. Howie's really got to go after this year; the Angels have three players in Green, Lindsey and Yarbrough that can all at least come close to filling his shoes. The best case scenario is that he has a good year and attracts the eye of some team looking to upgrade at 2B next year.

And of course it goes without saying that if the Angels are struggling in July, he'll be one of the first to go.

I think you're spot on with that projection, but I don't see that as a "middle of the order bat." He's going to be an above average hitter overall, but probably not for a first baseman. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm a Cron enthusiast and even I wonder about the defense.  Every time I've watched him he's been a below average defender there.  However, circumstances may necessitate him playing a large chunk at 1B.  Pujols used to be a great defender but he's 34 years old now.  What happens in two or three years?

As for Cron's offense.  I can see him being anywhere from .250 and 20 HR to .290 and 40 HR.  .270 and 25-30 HR's seems like a safe bet. 

Scotty, AJ....serious question, why are you guys so high on Cron? I see him as a guy who underperformed as a not-so-young player in AA. He didn't hit for power, didn't walk, and was 23 all season. Why do you think he is going to actually improve two levels up?

Excellent question and for me, it all comes down to his tools.  It's a common misconception he didn't hit for power last season.  He did, but many of his HR's turned into doubles, it's just the way it works for guys like him in the Texas League and specifically in Dickey Stephens Park, probably the most difficult hitting environment in minor league baseball.  If it isn't, it's one of them. 

Cron's a rare power hitter in that he has immense strength but he can also make more contact than most.  It's that contact that I believe will help propel him through AAA and into the majors.  He'll be able to hit .250 almost regardless in my opinion, which isn't great but it's a high floor.  Once he adjusts, he could turn into a total monster.   

Excellent question and for me, it all comes down to his tools. It's a common misconception he didn't hit for power last season. He did, but many of his HR's turned into doubles, it's just the way it works for guys like him in the Texas League and specifically in Dickey Stephens Park, probably the most difficult hitting environment in minor league baseball. If it isn't, it's one of them.

Cron's a rare power hitter in that he has immense strength but he can also make more contact than most. It's that contact that I believe will help propel him through AAA and into the majors. He'll be able to hit .250 almost regardless in my opinion, which isn't great but it's a high floor. Once he adjusts, he could turn into a total monster.

Good points, I appreciate your insight. But Lindsey and Grichuk both played their games at the same park, while a year or two younger, and hit for far more power.

Anyway, I sure hope you are right on Cron!

Good points, I appreciate your insight. But Lindsey and Grichuk both played their games at the same park, while a year or two younger, and hit for far more power.

Anyway, I sure hope you are right on Cron!

Fangraphs had an interview with him that asked about his approach.  He basically said he makes no effrort to pull balls and tries to go up the middle all the time.   That in and of itself could have been responsible for the power outage -- that park is bloody murder to CF.  Grichuk by comparison is a dead pull hitter and so, he muscled more over the wall.  

My biggest concern with Cron was his inability to pull the ball -- if indeed he was simply trying to inside out pitches -- there is reason to believe his power will play better than it did in AA.  IMO, Cron is in fact the type of guy that could really benefit from someone like Don Baylor.

here is the link of you're interested.  http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-cj-cron-los-angeles-angels-power-hitting-prospect/

Edited by Inside Pitch

The Angels have a bunch of guys that might not bring in talent via trade but could be useful in Anaheim.   That doesn't really rate well as far as rankings but it serves the purpose of supplying the team with in house help.  They have two three years to find the impact guys still.

Don't get me wrong, the farm system is in bad shape but it's serviceable relative to the team's immediate needs.   Well, outside of SP....

If he turns out to be anything close to Butler, I'd be happy.

I don't think he ever reaches that potential but if he can hit I won't complain too much.

DH only guys are hard to get excited about unless they are incredible hitters but I'll remain optimistic with him if he can come up and be a good #5/6 guy in the lineup.