• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

John Sickels Top 20 Angels Prospects for 2014

Angelsjunky

What "hype" are you talking about, Youth? Scotty might be the most optimistic and he'll still only predicting a "275/.325 35 DB 25 HR type hitter." That's hardly hype.

Both Scotty and I think there's a chance he could be more than that (.290, 30+ HR), but I think its rather unlikely. I wrote 10% somewhat arbitrarily because it is very unlikely, but it is more than a Dumb and Dumber "so you're saying there's a chance!" because we have to account for possible development.

Good stuff, Doc. My main point of difference is that you're comparing Cron's minor league numbers with major leaguers. We don't know how Cron will develop from here on out - his plate discipline could improve substantially, although I doubt it will ever be better than, say, Trumbo's.

Also note that in the AFL it was 8.7%. I know, it was only 92 PA but that's something. I think we can safely predict that while he'll never be Barry Bonds, he's going to improve upon that 4.1% in AA.

I really don't know what to expect from Cron. I do agree with Scotty that he's going to rake in Salt Lake, but that's hardly unusual. Regardless, we'll likely see him later this year.

of course as we only have minor league number's on Cron.  The one think I will say about Cron is that I actually do have some hope that his walk rate improves.  I didn't say plate discipline because I think it might be there hidden somewhere as his approach seems someone purposeful as opposed to a guy like Jiminez where he decides which pitches he's gonna swing at while in the on deck circle.  This is also where I think he differs from Trumbo and why I don't like the Trumbo comps. 

It's also the reason why I haven't been overly thrilled with and am outwardly disappointed with Cron's performance to date.  He just gives me the sense that he understands how to have an at bat, but has yet to accept what he should be.  The AFL numbers, although a small sample does give me hope.  At no point in his AA year did he have a stretch like he did in the AFL in terms of what he offered at vs. what he didn't.  If he truly didn't really get it, you'd expect that if his BB rate went up, his avg would go down and k's would go up.  Yet the opposite happened.  Even in short spurts, this kind of situation doesn't happen for guys that don't really understand their own zones.  I just want to see him do it. 

Edited by Dochalo

What "hype" are you talking about, Youth? Scotty might be the most optimistic and he'll still only predicting a "275/.325 35 DB 25 HR type hitter." That's hardly hype.

Both Scotty and I think there's a chance he could be more than that (.290, 30+ HR), but I think its rather unlikely. I wrote 10% somewhat arbitrarily because it is very unlikely, but it is more than a Dumb and Dumber "so you're saying there's a chance!" because we have to account for possible development.

It's sad that there isn't hype because a 1/17 pick should certainly have hype, especially when the likes of Stephenson, Wong, Gray, Meyer, etc were still on the board.

I guess the first test would be to promote Cron at some point in 2014 and have him DH against lefties and Ibanez against righties. 

Let's get an idea of how Cron would fare vs. lefties at least, plus Ibanez would then not have to DH in 150 games at age 41.

They will send him to AAA, let that park work its magic on his numbers and likely bring him up at some point.  Hopefully he works to become more selective and Baylor convinces him it's okay to pull a ball every so often.

It's sad that there isn't hype because a 1/17 pick should certainly have hype, especially when the likes of Stephenson, Wong, Gray, Meyer, etc were still on the board.

I like Cron and understand why folks are so down on him.  They had such high hopes after his college career and the numbers he put up in Orem.  I still think he becomes a solid, yet unspectacular hitter in the majors, but even when they picked him I thought they should've spent that pick on a pitcher.

Maybe just a lapse in scouting.  I mean you come to the bullpark, see this hulking figure, see that he's being pitched around and gets on base via BB a lot and assume you're drafting an advanced college bat.  Not saying Cron's a total disappointment becomes the power they observed is very real but the college OBP likely seems influenced by other factors. 

It seems like the difference could be that there are college balls and strikes and then pro balls and strikes.  He knows the strike zone, but is still developing his strike zone.  Zone adjustments for hitters aren't easy but Cron seems like he could be one of those exceptions to eventually make it work.  

Green is going to DH against lefties if Ibanez struggles. Cron needs the year in AAA. His numbers in AA are not great, not bad, but not at Trumbo's level, and if they're hoping him to be a similar player…he needs to produce to Trumbo's AAA stat line. Trumbo wasn't called up in 2010 until late September, despite the Angels being out of it and needing a first baseman. Cron's not getting called up until August if at all. 

Green is perfectly acceptable complement to Ibanez at DH. He can also play the field, if poorly, and give the Angels two players DH time if needed, which I've stated before and which I believe is the right course of action.

Against righties:

Trout

Calhoun

Pujols

Hamilton

Freese

Ibanez

Kendrick

Conger / Iannetta

Aybar

Against lefties:

Trout

Calhoun
Pujols

Hamilton

Freese

Kendrick

Aybar

Green

Conger/Iannetta

As far as Sickels list, I'd say it's pretty fair, though I hope Cowart gets things together and Green shows he belongs. I'd also hope that he's right on Sappington, underestimates Morin and Rondon and also that we all understand that Skaggs and Calhoun are the two top near-propsects in the Angels system. Both are being counted on for 2014, and both hopefully produce.

In my mind, a player stops being a "propsect" when his ROY eligibility is gone. Calhoun has something around 250 AB in the majors, so even though he's getting his first full time gig, and it's really only his second season, he's basically a rookie. And Skaggs had two chances in the Diamondbacks rotation he's really still a rookie in most peoples' minds.

Does anyone see Shoemaker getting a legitimate shot at becoming the 5th starter or the long reliever? Sickels states that "he would be in the mix as a fifth starter for many teams." I hope he gets a few starts under his belt to see if he can be a consistent starter on which the Angels can depend.