• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When will Tanaka sign with someone?

Tanaka's signing date?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. When will Tanaka actually sign with someone?

• By January 3, 2014
    • Between January 4-10, 2014
    • Between January 11-17, 2014
    • Between January 18-24, 2014
    • Between January 25-31, 2014
    • First week of February 2014
    • Second week of February 2014
    • Third week of February 2014
    • By end of February 2014
    • He waits until after the 2014 season.

I am thinking the most attractive offer to Tanaka would have an opt out after 3 or 4 seasons. Especially if the annual dollars are close. A chance at an even bigger pay day before his 30th birthday may be enough to sign him. Dipoto has to make an offer that stands out for reasons other than just money. In N Out tshirts might be enough

The Mariners want to add a top-notch starting pitcher, and the Robinson Cano signing demonstrates a kind of "urgency" or "desperation," so their pursuit of Masahiro Tanaka could get wild, Jeff Sullivan of USS Mariner writes. The market for Tanaka could reach the point where paying his price no longer makes sense, though, and if it does, it might be better for the Mariners to sign someone like Ubaldo Jimenez for half of what Tanaka will cost.

I can't see the Angels out bidding the Mariners or Yankees. I really think Tanaka will get something in the 140-155M range

The Mariners want to add a top-notch starting pitcher, and the Robinson Cano signing demonstrates a kind of "urgency" or "desperation," so their pursuit of Masahiro Tanaka could get wild, Jeff Sullivan of USS Mariner writes. The market for Tanaka could reach the point where paying his price no longer makes sense, though, and if it does, it might be better for the Mariners to sign someone like Ubaldo Jimenez for half of what Tanaka will cost.

I can't see the Angels out bidding the Mariners or Yankees. I really think Tanaka will get something in the 140-155M range

Well if we weren't willing to give that to Greinke, a proven MLB pitcher after investing three prosects to get him then they won't give that to Tanaka. 

I think Arte might go pretty high on him.  Angels' rotation would suddenly look pretty good if they can find a way to add him to it.  All it's gonna cost is money, and I think Arte will see a better return on overbidding for him than he will with either of his sluggers.

Screw the Mariners, get 'er done Arte!

I could see Arte signing Tanaka because he would generate much more revenue than any other pitcher available, by a long shot. He would have the second highest jersey sale on the team and one of the highest in the league. Perhaps Arte could sell some TV rights oversees as well, or increase advertising in the ballpark. I have a feeling he could be another "partner" for Arte.

I could see Arte signing Tanaka because he would generate much more revenue than any other pitcher available, by a long shot. He would have the second highest jersey sale on the team and one of the highest in the league. Perhaps Arte could sell some TV rights oversees as well, or increase advertising in the ballpark. I have a feeling he could be another "partner" for Arte.

This is a good point. It's maybe a little similar to the Pujols signing coming at about the time of the new tv deal.

An opt out wouldn't be too bad after say year 4. Tanaka gets to test making even more money by age 29, and hopefully the Halos have developed a solid org pitching base by 2018 anyway. Tanaka is most important to the Halos while they are building that true org pitching depth.

Edited by Angel Oracle

It makes you wonder.  Last year Lohse was in limbo.  He ended up signing a 3/$33 with the Brewers on 3/25/13.  And he went out and put up a 3.35 ERA/1.17 WHIP season.  

Santana and Jimenez are pretty much in the same boat right now.  The loss of a draft pick is a huge deterrent to most teams.  It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  If a team comes swooping in and signing one or both for a Lohse like deal.

Well if we weren't willing to give that to Greinke, a proven MLB pitcher after investing three prosects to get him then they won't give that to Tanaka.

From what I've read DiPoto wanted to sign Greinke but Arte wanted to spend the money on Hamilton instead. It's not that Greinke wasn't wanted its that Jerry's decision was overridden by Jefe.

From what I've read DiPoto wanted to sign Greinke but Arte wanted to spend the money on Hamilton instead. It's not that Greinke wasn't wanted its that Jerry's decision was overridden by Jefe.

The team payroll obligation dropped from 2012-2013 so even with Hamilton they had the money for Greinke. They had already committed to Blanton and Hanson so they passed on Greinke. That backfired. 

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Service time in years & days (through 2013 season).

Arturo Moreno bought the Angels for $184M in April, 2003. (The team sold for $147M in 1998.) Forbes magazine valued the club at $718M in March, 2013. Bloomberg valued the franchise at $1.09 billion in October, 2013.

• Opening Day payrolls

(Major League contracts plus pro-rated signing bonuses)

: