• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ervin Santana and some kind of new weapon

NrM

I can't fault the Angels for moving on and trading Santana. He was pretty expensive for a guy who was all over the place with his results.

I would've, however, preferred to have kept him over signing Blanton.

Anyways, Santana is a big risk for any team but somebody will give him a 5/60 deal and probably see the on/off year routine he has done his whole career.

I can't fault the Angels for moving on and trading Santana. He was pretty expensive for a guy who was all over the place with his results.

Anyways, Santana is a big risk for any team but somebody will give him a 5/60 deal and probably see the on/off year routine he has done his whole career.

The irony is that Santana would have only cost $5 million more than Blanton in 2013, and still under the tax threshold. Plus, they could have either traded him in July or kept him and offered to tender him and get the draft pick.

Garza and Santana have relatively similar career results:

Santana: 4.19 ERA, 268 games (265 starts), 1686.2 IP, 7.09 K/9, 2.81 BB/9, 19.6 fWAR

Garza: 3.84 ERA, 194 games (191 starts), 1182.1 IP, 7.62 K/9, 2.99 BB/9, 18.1 fWAR

Garza is a bit better, but not by much.

Here's their best seasons in order by fWAR:

6.0 Santana, 2008

4.9 Garza, 2011

3.3 Santana, 2006

3.2 Garza, 2008

3.0 Santana, 2013

2.9 Garza, 2009

2.6 Santana, 2011

2.2 Garza, 2013

1.9 Santana, 2010

Note the alternation. Below that it is broken, with Santana having the next best season.

Regardless, though, I think both are essentially 3 fWAR pitchers. You could even say that, as a general guideline, your #1 is 5 fWAR, your #2 is 4 fWAR, #3 is 3 fWAR, #2 is 2 fWAR, and #5 is 1 fWAR - so both are relatively typical #3s.

Who here hates Ervin with a passion? Not accurate at all. I was sorry to see him go tho not heart broken. Was a baseball move plain and simple and understandable. I wouldn't mind having Ervin back as long as it doesn't influence other signings too much. We all watched him grow up in the majors and knew what we were getting every other year.

By all over the place do you mean the home runs hit off of him. They seemed to be all over the place. 

I wouldn't say everyone here hates Santana with a passion. He has given most fits at times when he was an Angel however he also had his shinning moments. I say no to bringing him back. 

I am looking for 100 million also I just have not found it yet.

Who here hates Ervin with a passion? Not accurate at all. I was sorry to see him go tho not heart broken. Was a baseball move plain and simple and understandable. I wouldn't mind having Ervin back as long as it doesn't influence other signings too much. We all watched him grow up in the majors and knew what we were getting every other year.

Angeldixiefan 

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't recall anyone hating Santana, just frustrated over the inconsistency of a pitcher with his skills. Pitch a no-hitter, then give up four home runs. We never knew what we were going to get when Ervin started.