• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Y: Power outage hits MLB's free agent market

gotbeer

It is crazy to me that so many on this board are willing to trade away 1 of 13 players to hit 30 HR's last year.

He has a tendency to go into long slumps, I get that, but if Pujols and Hamilton don't come back to a reasonable version of their old selves, and we trade Trumbo, our offense will have very little pop beyond Trout.

I still think we need to see what Baylor can do with Trumbo and see what we have in Albert and Hamilton before we send him away.

It is crazy to me that so many on this board are willing to trade away 1 of 13 players to hit 30 HR's last year.

He has a tendency to go into long slumps, I get that, but if Pujols and Hamilton don't come back to a reasonable version of their old selves, and we trade Trumbo, our offense will have very little pop beyond Trout.

I still think we need to see what Baylor can do with Trumbo and see what we have in Albert and Hamilton before we send him away.

Trumbo is what he is..  

You trade him because the ONE tool he has may be at a premium this year and because this team's struggles are all about run prevention, not production.

Trumbo in his age 27 season put up an OPS+ of 109 this year.  Hamilton 108.  One Legged Pujols 116.  

Stop overrating him because of the HRs.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Trumbo is what he is..  

You trade him because the ONE tool he has may be at a premium this year and because this team's struggles are all about run prevention, not production.

Trumbo in his age 27 season put up an OPS+ of 109 this year.  Hamilton 108.  One Legged Pujols 116.  

Stop overrating him because of the HRs.

And that 109 OPS+ was identical to Chris Iannetta, as a side note.

How many homeruns did the team's from 2004-2009 hit? I recall a couple years where they had a lot but for the most part they weren't hitting too many. Power is nice to have in the lineup but it is all for naught if the runs they score don't mean anything because the pitching will give them right back.

I would rather keep Trumbo, but I feel he has more value on the trade market than he does to the Angels.

We were definetwly a better team when we were pitching orientated rather thsn offense oriented. That said, we had not only very solid starters, but a plus plus pen. Add to that we had Vlad. Vlad was truly a guy that could carry a team. And when our pitching was giving up two, three runs a game, vlad on a non spectacular night was usually money when someone was on base. Simple base hits that drove in a run or two was usually all we needed.

Problem was, the lack of offensive depth always bit us in the playoffs. I think arte finally figured that out, and decided to get bats. Problem is, we lost our pitching strength.

Trumbo is overrated, but underrated at the same time. Its kind of funny. I'd love to keep him, but would understand moving him. He won't bring back a number 1 pitcher, but also won't bring back a reliever or potential number 4 in the minors like some of the posts ive read.

I think Trumbo has more trade value than some people realize.  He might not bring you back Shelby Miller, but he should be able to bring back a guy just a slight tier below Miller.

I've had two different people currently working for MLB teams both tell me there is considerable interest in Trumbo among several NL teams.  Two guys from two different organizations both said that the noise they are hearing when people talk about Trumbo, is that while they are fully aware of his inability to walk, there are people who feel his power will play better outside of Anaheim, and that could help him improve his on base game.  

Whether or not anything comes of it -- who knows.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Trumbo is overrated, but underrated at the same time. Its kind of funny. I'd love to keep him, but would understand moving him. He won't bring back a number 1 pitcher, but also won't bring back a reliever or potential number 4 in the minors like some of the posts ive read.

I think this nails it -- he's vastly overrated because he has ONE legit plus tool.  But that one tool is so very impressive and rare that there is a lot of value there -- only as Tdawg stated, it's more valuable to others than it is to us.

Very true. Would love to keep his power bat, but we have enough power. His bat isn't 'needed' here, but could be a huge improvement for someone else. If that someone else could help us with our problems, then trumbos best value to the team would be as a trade chip.

At any rate, I think trading someone is a must, given how poor the FA pitching market is. If that's the case, its imperative we make the best trade, regardless of who we give up. IE, I know calhoun is popular on here, but if he (for example) nets us the best return, you move him and stay with a trumbo, an aybar etc, regardless if we think someone is 'better'.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Trumbo hit them into the rockpile, but the thought that hrs=offense is silly.  Sure, power is important for run production, but so is getting on base among other things. 

To look at Trumbo's run production in a vacuum is a mistake.  It has as much to do with what he brings you in run prevention plus the ability to replace his production.  You potentially double your net value by bringing in someone that can prevent at a similar level that he produces while still maintaining similar production from someone you already have that would contribute less otherwise.

You mean play like these guys...

Ruth and Gehrig

Maris and Mantle

Mays and McCovey

Matthews and Aaron

Clemente and Stargell

or

Magic and Kareem

Jordan and Pippen

Kobe and Shaq

LaBron and D Wade

I'm not sure Pujols and Hamilton really understand what it takes to do that.

Edited by Hamiltown