• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Cost Of Free Agent Pitching

TroutAdell

I think the Giants deal was more than just supply and demand but more towards payment in regards to his previous two years salary which was $18 and $23 million. What they offered is actually a pay cut for a guy who has 2 Cy Young awards in his trophy case.

As far as Vargas goes, he simply doesn't have the resume to demand Lincecum money. Some team may go all in stupid on him but if the Angels make a reasonable 3 year offer during their exclusive rights time his agent will listen.

Edited by Eric Notti

Right now, the Angels have

Weaver

CJ

Richards

Williams

Blanton

I think you have to offer Vargas arbitration, even if he accepts and for one year you overpay $4 million.  If we don't get Tanaka, it doesn't look good in the FA market.  I think you also have to see about getting Buehrle from the Jays, since they are looking at our catchers.  Looking at the Jays roster, they are at $110 million already for 2014, and might be looking for salary relief.

If you can't get Tanaka, spend all the money in the bullpen. There isn't a FA pitcher that will be worth the money nor will any of them put us over the hump. The team has too many flaws

The best bullpen in the world isn't going to do much if you're rolling out a Weaver, CJ, Richards, Williams, Blanton rotation.

It would be fine to spend some money on starting pitching, if 1) there is an ace in FA available 2) if the team was one or two pieces away from contending. Neither is the case. The only potential ace is Tanaka, but he's no sure thing. The only thing spending money guarantees is a higher payroll. And, spending money is how the team got into this position in the first place

Weaver

CJ

Richards

Williams

Blanton

I think you have to offer Vargas arbitration, even if he accepts and for one year you overpay $4 million.  If we don't get Tanaka, it doesn't look good in the FA market.  I think you also have to see about getting Buehrle from the Jays, since they are looking at our catchers.  Looking at the Jays roster, they are at $110 million already for 2014, and might be looking for salary relief.

I would rather have Hanson than Blanton!

Weaver

CJ

Richards

Williams

Blanton

Coming off a blood clot, I think a qualifying offer is the best route to go with Vargas.  If he has a solid blood-clot-free year, he'll be 32 years old going into the 2015 season and could be had for fairly cheap if they wish to re-sign him.

Vargas hasn't exactly been spectacular and while the Lincecum deal could be seen as a base point for him, he and his agent are insane if they think a guy coming off a pretty down year where he only pitched 150 innings and had an ERA over 4 will get a 4-5 year deal. I don't think he should even get a qualifying offer, to be honest, unless the Angels are certain that he won't accept it. My guess is he will accept it and try to pitch for a 4+ year deal in 2015.

At this point, I'd offer him 2/20 with a vesting option for a 3rd year.