• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Josh Johnson

I don't think the idea of Josh Johnson is a bad one, but as others have said, 8 million can get you 2 solid relievers. Sure, he COULD regain his former glory and pitch well, but he also could be Hanson part deux. Or hell, Madson the expensive reproduction. The entire pitching staff needs more safe bets than gambles, and really the only "gambles" they should be taking are on young prospects with upside who don't cost 8 million.

I'd be more prone to giving him an incentive laden deal that pays him very well if he regains his form. If he doesn't regain his form he is paid $4-$5 million.

I'd be ok with this...or even a one year plus option (for more) that triggers when he meets certain benchmarks, like 30 starts or 175 innings. Something like that.

I don't think the idea of Josh Johnson is a bad one, but as others have said, 8 million can get you 2 solid relievers. Sure, he COULD regain his former glory and pitch well, but he also could be Hanson part deux. Or hell, Madson the expensive reproduction. The entire pitching staff needs more safe bets than gambles, and really the only "gambles" they should be taking are on young prospects with upside who don't cost 8 million.

He's crap. Wouldn't have him around for free. Just his presence drags down the team. We need to get better, not more mediocre.

I agree, we need bullpen arms and 8 mil extra dollars could go a long way towards that goal. 

Edited by Jim

Just once, I'd lobe to see us sign a guy like this and have it work out. Not saying we've never done it before.

But start with wells. Finley and gmj, sure, we could see it coming. Wells was likely to decline (away from toronto), but shouldn't have fallen off of a cliff. Alberts done better than people realize (taking his foot into account), but he's not albert. And hamilton, again knowing their would be a decline leaving arlington, is the latest on 'wow, we got that guy!-wow, can we give him back'.

Would be nice to grab an under the radar reclaimation project and have it work. Something like a liriano/burnett, or what the dogs got for capuano last season.

I guess williams fits in there to a point. But I'm still a littlesick of seeing guys revive careers somewhere else and dying here.

I suggested signing Francisco Liriano last winter on the cheap and hope for a rebound and was soundly boo'ed.  If the guaranteed investment is small, I'd be on board signing Josh Johnson.  But, to be clear, I would establish a 5-man rotation that DID NOT include him and let him rehab without expectations.  Let someone else pay $5-8 million guaranteed, if that type of money can even be had.

Same here on Liriano, but nooooo, JeDi just HAD to rush to sign a horrible pitcher like Blanton for what TRIPLE the 2013 salary that Liriano drew even after incentives????

We all saw in ALCS game 2 what happens if your bullpen can't come through.    Not even Scherzer's work could overcome it.

Get the bullpen fixed for the first time since freaking 2008!

2008?  We haven't made the playoffs since 2009.  Is there a correlation between our on field failures and the Blow-pen?

I would prefer a solid pen over a solid rotation. I think you can repair a bullpen quicker than a rotation.

For instance, I would spend 8-15M on the bullpen. 3-5M on the rotation. Weaver, Wilson, Richards, Williams, (insert 3-5M guy here) would be fine with me as long as bullpen is drastically improved.

Usually the great pens are built through the farm system.

Trying to buy a great pen doesn't seem to work out very often and pretty much never works for the angels.