• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels without Hanson and Blanton in the rotation!

stormngt

If I am not mistaken are 22 and 15.  that is a 59.4% winning clip.  Hey Dipoto, shows you what the team could do with just decent starting pitching!  We did so poorly this year because we had two starters that almost guaranteed us a loss 40% we played!

Resign Vargas, sign or trade (preferably a trade so we don't give up a draft pick) for a #3+ starter and add a couple of bullpen help and we will be good.

Yep, the B&H experiment did not work.   I give Dipoto a pass on this, however.  Arte Moreno said he was the one who spent all the available money and hamstrung Dipoto.  So JD had to go to the swap meet to find pitching.  If that is a true statement - and we have no reason not to believe it - I am in favor of bringing back the Dipoto/Scioscia team and keeping Arte away from baseball decisions.

Yes to all of the above except that I can't give JD a total pass considering that just about any other pitcher would have been better and we might actually be within a few games of the WC.  Although it probably mean Albert limps around and we don't see Calhoun. 

I don't think JD should be fired, but if he's not going to be given the freedom to do what he wants, it could be tough for him. 

I definitely agree on the pen.  It needs to be a strong point going into next season.  Although getting consistency from pen arms is tough, there are probably 8-10 arms that will be available that should provide at least similar production to DDLR if not better.  It needs to start with a legit closer.  Benoit, Balfou, or Mujica.  One of Downs/Lopez.  One of Joe Smith, Stauffer, Frasor, Janssen or someone obtained in trade. 

Yep, the B&H experiment did not work.   I give Dipoto a pass on this, however.  Arte Moreno said he was the one who spent all the available money and hamstrung Dipoto.  So JD had to go to the swap meet to find pitching.  If that is a true statement - and we have no reason not to believe it - I am in favor of bringing back the Dipoto/Scioscia team and keeping Arte away from baseball decisions.

Paying 15 million for Blanton is not what I'd call swap meet price.

How can you give a pass to Dipoto on Hanson and Blanton? I'm not saying you crucify the man for those moves, but Blanton was a bad idea from day one (and he gave him a 2 year contract!) that everyone universally hated, and Hanson was a tough-odds risk that not surprisingly didn't work out.  I get that Dipoto didn't have a ton of options, but those are still both moves he voluntarily made.

As for spending on FAs for the BP - that's almost never a good idea.  They have some talented young arms in the pen, a new pitching coach and a year's worth of maturation could make a difference.  Supplement that with maybe one low cost FA and a trade or two and I think the BP could be much improved without spending big $$.

The bullpen could be better than anticipated in 2014.

Frieri can be very good, but does need a 2nd pitch that works just well enough when the fastball isn't moving.

Burnett was solid the past several years, and hopefully will be a total 100% in ST.

DDLR has been a solid find.

Kohn will be in his 2nd season back from TJ surgery.   That is usually the season when a pitcher can finally get towards his potential.

Coello was really good until the injury affected his last couple of outings and then took him to the DL for 2 months.

Williams is a rock solid utility guy.

Lurking in the minors at the start of 2014 will be Morin.

What this pen needs though more than anything is a leader by example type.   Even though he will have only thrown some 20 innings by the time the post-season is over, the Beard would not be expensive, would be pitching already unlike Madson, and is that leader by example and rallying around that the successful bullpens a lot of times have. 

His ERA so far in some 10 innings for the Raviners is 1.00, and he's already touching 94mph. 

No expensive and declining options, or options not pitching yet, PLEASE!

Edited by Angel Oracle

I hope they really go all out on the bullpen. I feel like it's been overlooked the past 2 offseasons. They should sign 3 dependable arms like Benoit, Lopez, and Balfour

I don't think it's too realistic but if we got those three guys it will have been the best things JD has done. Also I'm in favor of getting Hughes to go along with a resigned Vargas. He'll be cheap and in Angels stadium I think he'd be a solid #5 at worst. I'd prefer to deal Bourjos/Kendrick for someone though. We'd then have a damn good team .

The bullpen could be better than anticipated in 2014.

Frieri can be very good, but does need a 2nd pitch that works just well enough when the fastball isn't moving.

Burnett was solid the past several years, and hopefully will be a total 100% in ST.

DDLR has been a solid find.

Kohn will be in his 2nd season back from TJ surgery.   That is usually the season when a pitcher can finally get towards his potential.

Coello was really good until the injury affected his last couple of outings and then took him to the DL for 2 months.

Williams is a rock solid utility guy.

Lurking in the minors at the start of 2014 will be Morin.

What this pen needs though more than anything is a leader by example type.   Even though he will have only thrown some 20 innings by the time the post-season is over, the Beard would not be expensive, would be pitching already unlike Madson, and is that leader by example and rallying around that the successful bullpens a lot of times have. 

His ERA so far in some 10 innings for the Raviners is 1.00, and he's already touching 94mph. 

No expensive and declining options, or options not pitching yet, PLEASE!

whatever happened to the reliever in AAA that is tearing it up?  Was it Berg?

My question exactly, where is Berg?    Hanson gets called up, but not Berg?

When is Hanson going to pitch these next 13 games, when all 5 starters (including Williams) are doing well enough over these past 3.5 weeks?    Shoemaker could just as easily take whatever games Hanson would have taken in long relief.      

Re-sign Vargas. I think this is bigger than people realize. He isn't great by any means but when healthy he will be pretty much guaranteed to give you 175+ IP and an ERA around 4. He's a solid 4 starter, maybe even a good one.

After that the Angels need to focus on finding a number 3 starter. There really aren't any FA's besides Garza and he's going to cost too much. I'd ask the Royals about Shields and see if they would part with him and what they would ask for. If nothing comes of it inquire about Lance Lynn. He would probably cost less via a trade than Shields would, assuming the Cards are willing to part with him. Maybe Aybar and Bourjos?

Then, re-explore the Kendrick for Lee and Withrow trade. With that you get a great young pitching prospect and a young reliever with MLB experience to bolster the pen. If that doesn't work explore trades with Arizona and Pittsburgh with Trumbo. Try to get a young SP prospect and a young reliever.

If Aybar and Kendrick are both traded, then the Angels should look into signing a cheap replacement for 2014. I think Kelly Johnson would be a good option for second. He adds power and plays decent defense, and won't cost too much.

In regards to the pen, assuming the Angels traded for a young reliever, they should go hard after Joe Smith. Dude is a workhorse and one of the most underrated relievers in the game today. Then get a lefty like Boone Logan or Javier Lopez and you're good to go.

Trrrrraaaaaadddeeeesssss

I hope that Moreno now realizes that he needs to leave baseball decisions to his baseball people. You can't sign big name players as a marketing tool without delving a little deeper.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

The Angels overall: 74-78 (.487)

In Blanton/Hanson starts: 9-24 (.273)

In starts by other pitchers: 65-54 (.546)

If you replace those 9-24 with, say, a modest 17-16, the Angels are 82-70, a .539 pct - the same record as the Indians, who are 0.5 games out of the wildcard race. If you replace it with something pretty good, say 20-13, the Angels are 85-67, a .559, which is the wildcard leader.

If you replace those 9-24 with, say, a modest 17-16, the Angels are 82-70, a .539 pct - the same record as the Indians, who are 0.5 games out of the wildcard race. If you replace it with something pretty good, say 20-13, the Angels are 85-67, a .559, which is the wildcard leader.

I could see 17-16, because Bluto went through a stretch where he had, like, 7 of 8 quality starts but didn't get the win.  

But when I saw your research, I was astonished.

Oh sweet jesus I didn't know it was that bad.

The Blanton signing was just the worst thing ever done by a human.

Of course this was the same logic we used last year when dumping Haren and Santana.