• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garrett Richards looks like a #3 starter

fan_since79

Weaver, VJ, Vargas, and Garret is a pretty good start to a rotation. Tommy Hanson with his head on straight is intriguing as well. The team showed a lot of support for all that Hanson went through in his personal life this season. A motivated reimbursement could look very good for us.

While Joe Blanton seems like a nice guy he gives up too many fast runs. Does he telegraph his pitches? Do his pitches come in straight? Why do teams continue to give him a chance to pitch? Are we going to miss him that much?

I personally don't feel that they had Richards coming out of the pen because they thought he would do better there but because the pen sucked and they filled the rotation with other guys they thought were capable.

He's got a live arm and they figured he could be an asset to the pen. At the time, they thought they could still have a winning season, and the pen was a clear weak point. I still think they had every intention of keeping him a starter eventually.

He's got four good pitches the base of which is a fastball at 94-96mph that moves all over the place. That takes time to develop and there will be bumps in the road. Like games with 2h, 7bb, 6k in 5ip.

My guess is that he'll function as a #4 next year with times as a #5 and times as a #2/3. He's never pitched more than 150 innings in a season so we need to temper our expectations a bit.

I have been a big fan from the beginning because of his stuff and considering that he'll be 26 near the beginning of next year's season, I seem him only getting better.

I don't think they thought he wasn't a starter when they put him in the pen. That being said, his arm in the pen will always be intriguing when he can throw 97 out of the pen. I think I read earlier this year his fastball as a starter had the highest average velocity this season. That will show you right there how important movement and changing speeds are to a pitchers success as a starter.

I see Richards as a high upside 6th starter. I don't like the idea of counting on him for a full season, but this team isn't in a position to be picky about starters and he absolutely should be in the rotation next year. Let's hope he's penciled in to the fifth spot so that our expectations aren't too high.

As Scioscia himself has said before, a championship caliber club needs to start the season with 8-9 viable SPers.  For those of you that envision Richards starting next season in the rotation, who do you see as guys 6-7-8-9?  Jerome Williams probably as one of them, and then . . . ? The great thing about Richards is that he still has options, so the smartest thing to do is use that to your advantage and keep him stretched out in AAA to start the year, and bring him up as soon as one of the SPs goes down with an injury, which is going to happen sooner or later (probably sooner given the Angels' luck).

Edited by WallyWorld

i think he should be in the rotation next year - at this point we need to give him the chance to start the season in the rotation - hell we let Hanson and blanton do it this year - ill bet Richards is surely better than them - although i hope we have enough pitching that he is our 4 or 5 in 2014 and not our 3