• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garrett Richards looks like a #3 starter

fan_since79

They stopped yo-yo'ing around with him as a reliever/starter

Very positive sign for the organization to see him doing well as a starter. They really needed him to develop into one. No surprise the team is playing great ball lately. They finally have stability in the rotation and Weav/CJ/Vargas/Richards are all pitching very well

I think a lot of the criticism came when he was coming out of the bullpen, which he is clearly not cut out for.  How the organization ever thought that was a good idea I'll never know.  

As a starter:  73.2 IP, 4.03 ERA, 1.249 WHIP.  Solid numbers for a guy in his first full season in the majors (granted it's still not really a full season because of the BP time).  

K % up from 14.8 to 17 and BB % down from 10.7 to 7.6 compared to his 71 IP last year, so he's trending in the right direction.  I think his K rate will still improve a bit as well as he gains more experience because his stuff is very good.  

EDIT: those #'s don't include tonight, which would slightly improve them, as bbref still hasn't been updated.

Edited by markb

Richards looks like a safe bet to be a good #4 starter, possibly a 3 if things go good. He should definitely be in the rotation next year, that's a no brainer. He's young and cheap which is also huge for this team right now. If Richards is the #5 next year, I think our rotation is in great shape. I just hope Dipoto adds a upper end 3 starter this offseason through trade or by signing a guy like Garza.

Counting on Richards being a #3 next season would be a huge mistake. I'd love to get an impact arm like Garza and trade for a top pitching prospect who's mlb ready, like a Jameson Taillon or Michael Wacha. A rotation of Weaver, Wilson, Garza, Wacha, Richards sounds pretty good to me.

I personally don't feel that they had Richards coming out of the pen because they thought he would do better there but because the pen sucked and they filled the rotation with other guys they thought were capable. 

He's got a live arm and they figured he could be an asset to the pen.  At the time, they thought they could still have a winning season, and the pen was a clear weak point.  I still think they had every intention of keeping him a starter eventually. 

He's got four good pitches the base of which is a fastball at 94-96mph that moves all over the place.  That takes time to develop and there will be bumps in the road.  Like games with 2h, 7bb, 6k in 5ip. 

My guess is that he'll function as a #4 next year with times as a #5 and times as a #2/3.  He's never pitched more than 150 innings in a season so we need to temper our expectations a bit. 

I have been a big fan from the beginning because of his stuff and considering that he'll be 26 near the beginning of next year's season, I seem him only getting better. 

Garza is going to be 30 shortly after the season and he'll command a 5 year deal likely in the Anibal Sanchez range.  He's the best FA starter available which makes it so he'll get paid even more than he normally would.  He's also had injury issues in the past. 

I don't like this investment. 

Id rather trade for a starter and use FA money on a bullpen, if there is any money available. The good news is that there are many ways to attack this offseason and immediately return to the playoffs as soon as next year.

Agreed. Trade Kendrick/Trumbo or whatever and get a cost controlled SP. Use the money to bolster this pen.