• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Offseason To Do List

In this upcoming off season what would be a list of things that Arte and Jerry need to address.  I want to know what people think is the most important.  I'll start. This is by importance.

1. Release Joe Blanton

2. Fire Mike Butcher

3. Trade Kendrick and Bourjos for Starting Pitching

4. Resign Jason Vargas

5. Start talking with Trout and his agent about contract extension.

Still have a couple of years on this, but needs to start this year.

Just to name a few

I wouldn't just start talking to Trout's agent, I would do everything in my power to get an extension done.  I understand the hesitancy after just 1 season, but it's clear now that the kid is legit.  Letting him test FA would be one of the worst mistakes this organization ever made.

Trout should have been extended during the 2012 season. It was clear he would be at the very least a solid player, and you don't just fluke your way to a 10 WAR season. Even waiting until last offseason would have been way too long. Now we're most of the way through 2013 and he is having another MVP season and he STILL isn't signed.

Waiting just a single year has most likely cost the angels 100 million+ and it will be VERY difficult to sign him now. When he hits arbitration he will already be making enough money to secure himself a very comfortable life and won't need to worry about getting hurt and having nothing. He will be able to comfortably play out his time with angels and hit FA and have the Yankees or whoever dump a truckload of cash into his lap. And we'll be stuck with Pujols and the gang led by soshy the clown.

Think Blanton or Hamilton was a mistake? Not signing this kid early is the biggest mistake this franchise has made yet.

Weren't Longoria and Tulowitski signed to long deals no later than after their 2nd full season.

If they don't get Trout signed, then WTF is the holdup?

Scioscia wants him to pay his dues first and become a veteran.

Longo was signed a month into his MLB career. If trout were a ray he would have been locked up long term in 2011. They have a clue about talent and smart contracts.

In this upcoming off season what would be a list of things that Arte and Jerry need to address.  I want to know what people think is the most important.  I'll start. This is by importance.

1. Release Joe Blanton

2. Fire Mike Butcher

4. Resign Jason Vargas

Just to name a few

Add fix bullpen and sign one more starting pitcher hopefully Garza.

1. Release Joe Blanton

2. Fire Mike Butcher

4. Resign Jason Vargas

Just to name a few

1.  Extend Mike Trout

2.  Extend Mike Trout

3.  Extend Mike Trout

4.  Extend Mike Trout

5.  Extend Mike Trout

Trout should have been extended during the 2012 season. It was clear he would be at the very least a solid player, and you don't just fluke your way to a 10 WAR season. Even waiting until last offseason would have been way too long. Now we're most of the way through 2013 and he is having another MVP season and he STILL isn't signed.

Waiting just a single year has most likely cost the angels 100 million+ and it will be VERY difficult to sign him now. When he hits arbitration he will already be making enough money to secure himself a very comfortable life and won't need to worry about getting hurt and having nothing. He will be able to comfortably play out his time with angels and hit FA and have the Yankees or whoever dump a truckload of cash into his lap. And we'll be stuck with Pujols and the gang led by soshy the clown.

Think Blanton or Hamilton was a mistake? Not signing this kid early is the biggest mistake this franchise has made yet.

Let's see

2014 he is guaranteed only  500K

2015 with arbitration he will probably make about 8 million (hardly enough to set yourself life)

2016 with arbitration he will probably make around 15 million (a lot, but again, nothing compared to a big contract)

Halos'  offer the man 180 million for ten years and get this done!

In all seriousness:

1.  Extend Trout long term!  We really can't trade any of our club controlled players until we know if we got him locked up long term.

2.  If Trout is extended put up Calhoun, Bourjos, Trumbo, and Kendrick on the trade block.  We can part with two of those plus maybe a minor leaguer and get us two starting pitchers!  Kendrick should get us one by himself.

3.  Rebuild the bullpen...finally.

Let's see

2014 he is guaranteed only  500K

2015 with arbitration he will probably make about 8 million (hardly enough to set yourself life)

2016 with arbitration he will probably make around 15 million (a lot, but again, nothing compared to a big contract)

Halos'  offer the man 180 million for ten years and get this done!

Give me a quarter of that and I would be set for life. 8 million is way more than enough to live, very comfortably on.

Give me a quarter of that and I would be set for life. 8 million is way more than enough to live, very comfortably on.

*sigh* how old are you? do you know how much of that 8 million he'd actually see?  and we're talking about this in comparison to the literally hundreds of millions he has the potential to make.  8 million isn't much at all. 

1. Release Joe Blanton

2. Fire Mike Butcher

4. Resign Jason Vargas

Just to name a few

I see no reason to trade HK especially with no replacement in sight. I'd only trade Bourjos if we got a good deal, but I believe we should see what Calhoun can do. We must blow up the bullpen.

New Manager
New Pitching Coach..(The Giants have 2 one for LH and one for RH)

New Bench Coach

Hire a Bullpen Coach ( Many teams have one)
Hire a Catching Coach ( Steve Yeager is the Dodger Catching Instructor)

The Angels have had catching woes since the Molina Bro's left.

The talent already here will improve with a competent coaching core, and a few additions will actually produce, rather than go into tthe coma-like decline we have seen happen to decent players the last few seasons.

re: the bullpen, I think a lot of it has to do with coaching and usage.  RPs are incredibly volatile from year to year, so guys that look bad one year can be great the next, and vice versa.  You have to be careful what you wish for in wanting the BP completely blown up and rebuilt.  No guarantee it will be any better.