• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What makes a manager good or bad?

m0nkey

This has probably been discussed in one of the scioscia threads, but I didn't read them all. Sue me.

But I ask because people here say it's not scioscias fault the team is doing so poorly, therefore he shouldn't be fired. If that's the case, why do teams fire managers?

If manager has been at the same job for too long, it is possible that maybe subconsciously (or even consciously) he may have lost the energy level for the job that he had in the early years.

In another thread, I cited another example, former Twins' manager Tom Kelly and current Twins' manager Ron Gardenhire.

Both had a good first decade of success like Scioscia had, but saw their team wane after that. 

Using players in ways that maximizes their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses, even if that falls outside of traditional baseball strategy. 

I'd consider a manager good if his players' stats -- as a whole -- remain at (or improve from) their career averages.  There will always be players who struggle so it's not helpful to look at individual stats. 

Example:  If you took over as manager and your pitching staff had a combined career ERA of 4.4, you'd be a good manager if you used them in ways such that your team's ERA at season's end is 4.4 or better.  Not a perfect methodology by any means, but on the other hand, if your staff finished with an ERA of 5.7 -- that probably doesn't reflect well on the manager or pitching coach. 

Is it possible that a manager's attitude can reflect on the overall morale and enthusiasm of the team? When I look at the angels I don't know if I see a team that loves being there every day. Look at the rays for example and they always look like they're having fun and taking things seriously.

You should ask Don Mattingly who recently was on the chopping block and is now a candidate for manager of the year.

Mattingly's job was questionable (by a few) for a couple months.

Scioscia has been hanging by a thread, and questioned by nearly everyone (short of a few people around here ....)

For 4 long miserable years...

Hardly a valid comparison.

I don't understand why anyone would think Mike Scioscia is a different manager today than he was five years ago.  From what any of us can tell, he is the same.  I'd be surprised if he was different behind the scenes.   I didn't like his game managing five years ago. I don't like it now.  He is not the reason... arguably not a reason at all (because other managers do dumb things, too)... that they are having a poor season.  

Teams fire managers based on what baseball websites have to say.  They often acknowledge the wealth of information they gain here.

Why do you, as a moderator, feel the need to inject sarcastic comments all the time?

Why do you, as a poster, think you're a moderator all the time?

Mattingly's job was questionable (by a few) for a couple months.

Scioscia has been hanging by a thread, and questioned by nearly everyone (short of a few people around here ....)

For 4 long miserable years...

Hardly a valid comparison.

Mattingly was not "questionable by a few," he was literally games away from being fired.  The Dodgers president even told this to Mattingly.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9545374/don-mattingly-says-los-angeles-dodgers-poor-start-almost-cost-job

Players ground into double plays.

Managers teach players to not first swing at crap with runners on first and second but instead wait for a pitch to drive.  

This is just one of our many problems on our team.  We know the players are sucking and grounding into a league leading double plays.  We have no idea if the managers are doing their part.  No idea at all. 

Lets play devil's advocate and assume Art fires JD, buys Scioscia out and fires all coaches. Who would they bring in as replacements assuming Erstad is not leaving Nebraska?

"Throw the stats out the window. Throw the egos out the window.  We're here to win."

At least he wouldn't be batting 2nd.  

Players, GM, situation, owner.

A manager can fail with one team, succeed with the next and then fail the next time.  I suppose it has to do with how their personality matches the personality of the team.

Clint Hurdle was bad with the Rockies, now he's manager of the year.

Really good post.