• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Clutch Players and Scioscia

Since Scioscia has been here (over 10 years) he hasn't helped produce one player that seems to be clutch. All our best hitters fail when we need them most. I hate to say it, but even Trout has trouble in the big spot. I honestly think Aybar is our most clutch hitter no after that it falls off significantly. The approach of these guys in clutch situations is just flat out awful. When Scioscia arrived we had quite a few players who delivered in the clutch

Since Scioscia has been here (over 10 years) he hasn't helped produce one player that seems to be clutch. All our best hitters fail when we need them most. I hate to say it, but even Trout has trouble in the big spot. I honestly think Aybar is our most clutch hitter no after that it falls off significantly. The approach of these guys in clutch situations is just flat out awful. When Scioscia arrived we had quite a few players who delivered in the clutch

What does Scioscia have to do with a player being clutch? Isn't that the job of the GM?

I think Oregon's point was their overall approach in those situations. The manager needs to find a way to help change that.

Fair enough.  I've often said I'm ready for Scioscia to be replaced, but some of it has to fall on the players. 

What in the world?

How is Sosh going to change a players "clutchness" or approach?

"Ok Josh, 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Just put the ball in play."

Five pitches later..."What did I say, Josh?  No, look at me, look me in the eye: WHAT DID I SAY?"

Hamilton mumbles "put the ball in play."

"That's right, put the ball in play.  You didn't."

Brandon, it has to do with approach and scouting. Being prepared.

Again, how does he affect a players approach? They are always trying to get on base and hit.

Not sure what scouting has to do with a players "clutchness".

I've said this in the past, if players get to this level and aren't prepared in a batters box, how did they get here in the first place?

Way too much emphasis is put on how players perform on the field. I'll blame Sosh when he is swinging at shitty pitches down and away to strikeout or hitting into rally killing double plays.

clutch is generally considered bs.  However, there is some evidence to suggest that teams that tend to put the ball in play will do better in 'clutch' situations. 

if you sort the clutch stat for the 2000-2013 seasons, the halos have 4 seasons in the top 30 of all teams for those 14 years and their total for the entire span ranks them 2nd in baseball.  So the theory bears it out a little over a pretty large sample. 

the fact that this number in 2013 is the lowest ever for the MS era just compounds the shittyness of this season

I'm sorry, but this is one of the more ridiculous criticisms of Sosh.  First, "clutch" in and of itself is not something tangible.  Second, at the major league level it's not the manager's job to "produce" anything other than the right lineup and in-game moves.  Lastly, there have been several seasons under Sosh where this team's offense has been really, really good.

I'm not saying I'd be bummed if Sosh was gone after this season, but not based off of this.

Again, how does he affect a players approach? They are always trying to get on base and hit.

Not sure what scouting has to do with a players "clutchness".

I've said this in the past, if players get to this level and aren't prepared in a batters box, how did they get here in the first place?

Way too much emphasis is put on how players perform on the field. I'll blame Sosh when he is swinging at shitty pitches down and away to strikeout or hitting into rally killing double plays.

Scouting has everything to do with it.  Knowing how pitchers pitch in those situations.  Approach comes from that scouting.  Shortening up your swing, hitting the ball to the right side, hitting a sac fly, etc.  Being patient, and more.  People have mentioned it quite a bit in this forum that Scioscia's play style is up and down this org, why wouldn't it be in MLB.

So watching tape, players do that (or should) the way they hit the gym or take BP. My bad, I thought you meant scouting as in the regular sense opposed to Sosh hitting play on the VCR.

These are things players already do and develop before even getting to the bigs, it's called being a pro.

I don't get the clamoring of people that think Sosh is going to make players better than they already are.

MLB managers do not produce players.

In MLB, the teams put together a game plan before every series of how to approach the pitchers they will face, and same for the pitchers how they will approach the hitters they face.

Then who's fault is it when said game plan is in place but Howie still grounds into a double play or Pujols pops up?