• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (4/16/24): Angels @ Rays: Soriano on the mound, Sano at 1B, Trout DH'ing

34 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

He was terrific.  Showed a lot of personality.  Good stories.

After stating that Happy Gilmore was his most watched movie, he had no choice but to name Shooter as his most hated person. Had he not, we would know that Trout is full of crap. 

With 970 career walks, Mike Trout enters play today tied with Tim Salmon for the most in Angels history.

Trout is also the franchise leader in career home runs and runs scored.

Mike Trout is tied for the league lead in home runs (7), ranks third with a .710 slugging percentage and is fourth with a 1.072 OPS.

Entering play today, Taylor Ward leads the A.L. with 19 RBI. Taylor Ward has 19 RBI this season, which are the most for any Angels player through 16 team games since Don Baylor (23 RBI) in his 1979 A.L. MVP season. Ward also has an active eight-game hit streak, which is two games shy of matching his career-best hit streak (had two 10-game streaks in 2022).

Logan O’Hoppe ranks third in the A.L. in batting average (.364) and is sixth in OBP (.451)

1 minute ago, Chuck said:

With 970 career walks, Mike Trout enters play today tied with Tim Salmon for the most in Angels history.

Trout is also the franchise leader in career home runs and runs scored.

Mike Trout is tied for the league lead in home runs (7), ranks third with a .710 slugging percentage and is fourth with a 1.072 OPS.

But is he clutch?

image.gif

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

If Neto and Schanuel both need more time at AAA, then this team is truly screwed this season--and potentially in the next couple.  If you're drafting guys because you think they're ready for the majors ASAP and then they're really not, your whole strategy kinda falls apart.

If u have a better player at 1B then Schanuel now that would seem to help the team. Neto has a lot of value on the defensive side. Most players drafted need work in minors. The Angels out of desperation rush them to majors. 

I really don't care this year about a win/loss column, it's nice to see them win but they are going to have to pay the cost of bringing these young players along. There is no value in sending Neto or Schanuel down to face lesser competition and replace them with guys like Hicks or other 4A guys hanging on to a MLB career by a thread, just to try and win a half dozen more games but not actually improve the team. 

Pay the toll this year, play for a division title next. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really don't care this year about a win/loss column, it's nice to see them win but they are going to have to pay the cost of bringing these young players along. There is no value in sending Neto or Schanuel down to face lesser competition and replace them with guys like Hicks or other 4A guys hanging on to a MLB career by a thread, just to try and win a half dozen more games but not actually improve the team. 

Yep, that's where I'm at. 

18 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Maybe Schanuel is not a major league player but just a AAA at best. Maybe Sano is a player u can keep for 4 or 5 years at first base. This is not AYSO soccer performance counts show u belong not just given the job. 

Adell obviously was/is incredibly raw all around. His fielding was a disaster. His at bats were mostly futile. Now his base running is being exposed. But at least he's on base more than in the past. 

Give him credit for working on his fielding and at bats. Still a work in progress after multiple years of apprenticeship. Hopefully the new coaching staff helps him with his base running. But a lot of that is instant recognition/reaction. 

Anyways, I have to make a choice in my TV viewing. The Angel game, the final game of the season for my (still rebuilding) Montreal Canadiens, and the last ever game for the Arizona Coyotes all are on within the same general time frame. So I will watch hockey live, flipping/pausing/recording between games when on simultaneously. Different time zones means only a partial overlap. And I'll record the Angel game and watch it as my nightcap. Once the NHL playoffs start I may have to do similar juggling though not having a favorite team in it makes it less of a priority. As long as Toronto doesn't win the Cup I'm fine with any other result. 

16 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Maybe Schanuel is not a major league player but just a AAA at best. Maybe Sano is a player u can keep for 4 or 5 years at first base. This is not AYSO soccer performance counts show u belong not just given the job. 

Maybe he's just young and is still developing. 

17 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

He is young and let him develop in minors. Not just here your the 1B no matter what.

Your argument for Sano isn't really any stronger, though.  He didn't play at all last year and was horrible in 2022.  His OPS in spring training was about the same as Schanuel's (a tiny bit lower).  So you're basically saying to cut bait on Schanuel for now based on 50 plate appearances in the regular season and give it to a guy who hasn't even been passably decent in the majors for a few years?

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Your argument for Sano isn't really any stronger, though.  He didn't play at all last year and was horrible in 2022.  His OPS in spring training was about the same as Schanuel's (a tiny bit lower).  So you're basically saying to cut bait on Schanuel for now based on 50 plate appearances in the regular season and give it to a guy who hasn't even been passably decent in the majors for a few years?

Recency bias.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The amount of complete games Blylevan pitched is staggering. The amount he lost was just as staggering. 

He was a very good pitcher on some really meh teams in Minnesota and threw 285 ip avg. He was a #1 who went up against some really good starters. 35-40 starts per season!