• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (4/16/24): Angels @ Rays: Soriano on the mound, Sano at 1B, Trout DH'ing

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Only one question:

Missed the play where Cisnero threw the ball away past 1B.

Was it a routine throw, or off balance?

It should have been a routine throw, but he looked back at third, hesitated, then turned back around and threw it really hard to 1B, shooting it past Sano.  He should have just thrown to third to keep the runner there--or quite possibly have nailed him in a rundown.

Eh sucks that we lost but we’re still around first and .500 in a year we shouldn’t be, in the midst of a really rough schedule month. And there were a lot of positives today with Soriano, O’Hoppe and Moniak homering, and the guys at least hanging in there. Should have won the game, but they still had some wins in there. Fulmer got the loss, yeah, but between last outing and the start of this one, he looks like he could be handy to have if they don’t DFA him tomorrow for a fresh arm.

Seeing Soriano potentially become a starter and O’Hoppe continuing to prove he could be a legit star on both sides of the plate matters a lot more than one win to me this year.

Edited by totdprods

not reading through the whole thread, but any reason given why schanuel pinch hit for sano? didn't make a lot of sense.

fwiw, i wish they'd trade adell. i don't think we're going to get our money's worth from him. see what you can get and pull the trigger on the best deal.

Good to see Estevez was back to his old self -- blowing multi-run leads and then afterwards saying it either wasn't his fault, the guy got lucky, or he has absolutely zero concern because he's the man and he will be back out there again soon. 

I never understood spending big money on RP from non-competitive teams. Estevez, Cisneros, and Garcia were not in many high leverage situations and were on fairly bad teams. Is it really any surprise they have been wildly inconsistent? Since the All Star Break last year Estevez has been really bad. It wasn't fatigue, it was teams figuring out that he has very poor control and throws 80% fastballs. 

Starting to really think between the draft picks, rushing guys all over the playce bullpen signings, not pursuing a single starter/hitter, and the trades that Perry is not as good of GM as we hoped he would be. 

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

Good to see Estevez was back to his old self -- blowing multi-run leads and then afterwards saying it either wasn't his fault, the guy got lucky, or he has absolutely zero concern because he's the man and he will be back out there again soon. 

I never understood spending big money on RP from non-competitive teams. Estevez, Cisneros, and Garcia were not in many high leverage situations and were on fairly bad teams. Is it really any surprise they have been wildly inconsistent? Since the All Star Break last year Estevez has been really bad. It wasn't fatigue, it was teams figuring out that he has very poor control and throws 80% fastballs. 

Starting to really think between the draft picks, rushing guys all over the playce bullpen signings, not pursuing a single starter/hitter, and the trades that Perry is not as good of GM as we hoped he would be. 

Yeah, I don't understand this organization's infatuation with Estevez at all. His peripherals have been rather poor or so-so even during his all-star run. It was just a matter of time before they all began to manifest rotten fruit. Cisneros and Garcia are minor-league fillers. Their best use is to fill the rosters on the farm, but they simply are not talented enough to be major-league relief pitchers. They are what they are, and simply are not good enough to be in a big-league bullpen, especially in high-leverage situations. If Estevez hasn't got his ducks in a row by now, he never will.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

not reading through the whole thread, but any reason given why schanuel pinch hit for sano? didn't make a lot of sense.

fwiw, i wish they'd trade adell. i don't think we're going to get our money's worth from him. see what you can get and pull the trigger on the best deal.

It almost felt to me like a give the kid a chance to boost his confidence move, but just my hunch. 

It was an odd choice for sure. 

22 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Your argument for Sano isn't really any stronger, though.  He didn't play at all last year and was horrible in 2022.  His OPS in spring training was about the same as Schanuel's (a tiny bit lower).  So you're basically saying to cut bait on Schanuel for now based on 50 plate appearances in the regular season and give it to a guy who hasn't even been passably decent in the majors for a few years?

Yes it would help Schanuel to work on game in minors. Sano exit velocity one of highest in MLB. Sano has trimmed down and looks good in the field. Sano can play 3B. Halos have rushed Schanuel and handed him 1B job when in my opinion he has showed he is not ready.