• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (4/16/24): Angels @ Rays: Soriano on the mound, Sano at 1B, Trout DH'ing

Ward just flew out, so I'll post this now since I've been thinking about his situation: if he's healthy and productive throughout this year, I wonder if the Angels will offer him a 1-to-2-year extension after this year?  He's controlled through the 2026 season, and he'd be playing the '27 season in his age-33 year.  I don't know that you'd want to guarantee him anything much beyond that, but might be nice to have some cost certainty for a few years.  Alternatively, I could also see the argument for just going year-to-year with him in arbitration, given that he'll be 33 when he hits free agency.

7 minutes ago, samwum said:

Yeah that's fair. Result of years of failure to address the position. 

Walsh was the Angels firstbaseman and was going nowhere until last season's crash both physical and emotionally after his 2022 injury.  So there was no plan to draft Schanuel and promote him early because the position was filled. But shit happens and that is why Schanuel is in the lineup. Of the 100 positions that needed to be filled in the minors, pitching was #1 on the list followed by middle infielders, catchers, some backup outfielders and probably last on the list was first base. 

But the position was filled by Walsh and there was little thought that he wasn't going to cover for another few years of club control. Sorry if I shot down your argument. 

Now, can we get back to the game Schanuel is not playing in?

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ward just flew out, so I'll post this now since I've been thinking about his situation: if he's healthy and productive throughout this year, I wonder if the Angels will offer him a 1-to-2-year extension after this year?  He's controlled through the 2026 season, and he'd be playing the '27 season in his age-33 year.  I don't know that you'd want to guarantee him anything much beyond that, but might be nice to have some cost certainty for a few years.  Alternatively, I could also see the argument for just going year-to-year with him in arbitration, given that he'll be 33 when he hits free agency.

Yeah it's hard to see him becoming so good over the next two seasons that's  it's worth signing him beforehand. He's our guy though, so maybe just for that reason. So badass to come back like this

14 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

Jarred Walsh was an All-Star in 2021. There was no reason to draft a 1Bman. They needed pitching, especially since Arte won't pony up for a pitcher.

Many ways to build organizational depth beyond the draft. Do you think all 30 MLB 1B were first round draft picks by the team they play for? Ryan O'Hearn, Connor Joe, LaMonte Wade, Michael Busch... even Walsh is doing alright this year. Depth is everywhere, just have to actually look for it.