• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nolan Schanuel

I think it was a major mistake to draft guys with the *idea* that they could come up soon. Baseball is so different, and there's a reason this concept has not been practiced by good teams. College hitters -- I would think especially small school college hitters -- are not ready to face major league pitching. Schanuel, Neto, Bachman, and Joyce are evidence of that. They were all rushed to the major because of a desperation to compete. And now Bachman is completely off the radar, Joyce is struggling in the minors, and Neto and Schanuel are Livan Soto and Kevin Padlo. These guys are so young, it's actually kind of sad to watch their at bats. Schanuel gets frustrated at every strike he guesses wrong on, and when he gets fooled at strikes out looking, he stands there for 2-3 seconds in shock. Neto looks like he knows he's going to strike out, and when he does he just turns and storms back to the dugout. Their confidence at the plate is shot. This will likely go down as one of Perry's greatest mistakes because this has nothing to do with Arte. We could drafted Spencer Jones, Cam Collier, etc...but instead we took a guy we thought could play right away. There is still plenty of opportunity for these guys to become good major leaguers, but the point is that doing this really hindered their growth by putting a ton of pressure on them and in turn putting a major roadblock in the way of their development. 1B and SS were easy positions to fill well we let guys develop. Just so frustrating. 

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Im going to need to see him try harder and care more.  Also smiles.  Much more smiling, unless he made an out then he needs to look very very mad (care).

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Im going to need to see him try harder and care more.  Also smiles.  Much more smiling, unless he made an out then he needs to look very very mad (care).

what if he tries hard without smiling or caring?  or smiles without trying?  or cares so much it make him mad?  

I think it’s funny that there’s a narrative about him that if he struggles it’s because the Angels ruined him. There was an article that came out in the off season, the same one where he stood everyday and didn’t sit down at all except to eat. In the same article the new trainer for the Angels basically said he wouldn’t have advised that. 

Schanuel played well today, and he was definitely a factor in a big victory. He seems to be finding some footing now. I think he is the type of rookie that understands he has a development progress he has to go through, and he is probably using the lumps and growing pains as lessons and chalking it up to experience. I think he well use this to his advantage and use it in his continued growth as a major league player. He's learning the pitchers and some of their tendencies, and he will use his struggles to make himself a better player. Much of the same can be said for Neto as well. He came up with some big contributions today as well.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I think it’s funny that there’s a narrative about him that if he struggles it’s because the Angels ruined him. There was an article that came out in the off season, the same one where he stood everyday and didn’t sit down at all except to eat. In the same article the new trainer for the Angels basically said he wouldn’t have advised that. 

He came up pretty big today and made some important contributions. I think he is learning the MLB game and tendencies of pitchers and situations and will be a quick study. I am thinking that he will use those experiences as a tool for growth, and he will be all the better for it. He seems to have a good baseball IQ. The Angels didn't ruin him or anybody. Yes, the Angels have made a lot of scouting mistakes and made bad acquisitions over the years; that much is obvious. However, they didn't ruin anybody. Every player in pro baseball, minors or MLB, are adults; they have to do the work to make themselves better if they have the talent to do so. They can either cut it or they can't. The players that failed did so simply because they were not talented enough to be major league players. The mistakes on the Angels part -- and those mistakes are legion and glaring -- is getting the wrong players, overpaying for players past their prime, and in depleting the farm system with ludicrous free agent acquisitions.

Let him be Mark Grace or Wally Joyner and stop pushing for hum to try and hit like Pete Alonzo not saying that anyone thinks he will ever have Pete power, but a guy can have a solid season crushing dubbles and clutch singles in alot of cases these type hitters are more valuable to a team then a guy who crushes solo shot meatballs in games that are basically over. Teams tend to tinker to much with young guys thinking I can make him better or unlock someone he isnt more times then not it dont work and the player is worse off for trying and never get back to what they were.

I’m late to this thread, but this is what I put on Twitter Monday:

During yesterday’s game, Erica Weston said that Schanuel said the key to his success Wednesday was going back to who he is.

It seems like he was trying to be someone he wasn’t, and now he’s going back to the approach he took last year.

It’ll be interesting to see how the next two to three weeks look, assuming he sticks with his old approach.

6 minutes ago, BTH said:

I’m late to this thread, but this is what I put on Twitter Monday:

During yesterday’s game, Erica Weston said that Schanuel said the key to his success Wednesday was going back to who he is.

It seems like he was trying to be someone he wasn’t, and now he’s going back to the approach he took last year.

It’ll be interesting to see how the next two to three weeks look, assuming he sticks with his old approach.

Minnesota Vikings Football GIF

Given the lack of high quality prospects in the Angel farm system over the last few years, and given that the system’s ability to develop raw players has been questionable, and given that there is a clock on the Trout window. . .

It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that the team has drafted mature college players that look like they can reach the majors quickly.

These guys are going to take their lumps.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with Schanuel.  He was drafted and he is here now because he can control an at bat, get on base, and get some hits even as an unfinished product.

But he is an unfinished product.  This is what the team drafted and the process they chose for this guy.

If I am going to complain, it won’t be about what’s wrong with Schanuel.  It will be a complaint that the Angel farm system seemingly can’t draft raw players and actually develop them into high impact major leaguers, so they have to go after guys like Schanuel.

Edited by Dtwncbad

On 4/17/2024 at 8:14 PM, Chuck said:

But what's his exit velo? lol

Honestly I don't care if he goes back to his old weak ass contact self but he's getting on base via the walk and singles, occasional doubles down the line. 

Why are you laughing?

108.svg
Nolan Schanuel
11 2 Single 98.7 4 93 85.2

.50O

108.svg
Nolan Schanuel
27 4 GIDP 78.8 -6 19 78.6 .100

108.svg
Nolan Schanuel
51 7 Single 97.3 5 101 93.6 .560

108.svg
Nolan Schanuel
69 9 Flyout 84.1 32 284 94.0

108.svg
Nolan Schanuel
17 2 Groundout 64.2 -24 8 96.9 .060

108.svg
Nolan Schanuel
36 5 Groundout 85.9 6 113 94.9 .430

108.svg
Nolan Schanuel
57 7 Single 98.9 3 75 87.3

These are his last 7 batted ball outcomes.  Exit velocity has a HUGE impact on batting average -- what he doesn't need to be doing is trying to hit HRs or create a launch angle thats going to disrupt his natural swing.

The dude will learn to create lift on his own, when he does you can bet the exit velocities will also be there.