• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can Schanuel be competent in 2024?

Yes we all know he was just drafted, only 22, and only 10 games in.  He had the nice little story of the on base streak going, but that really did some heavy lifting to hide his overall performance.  

Currently 2 for 31, good for a slash of .065/.261/.161 for an OPS that is .003 higher than Anthony Rendon's.  He's getting on base considering via the walks, but what should we be expecting from him? Will sending him down ruin his confidence too much, potentially hurting his long term development and future?

Whole situation is bizarre. High OBP/Low SLG isn't even a valuable archetype for a 1B. Kid obviously has potential and isn't there yet. He's 6'4 220 and slaps at the ball like Dee Gordon. 

At this point I'm wondering if Perry is a little extra motivated to keep Schanuel in the majors in hopes that Schanuel breaks out and Perry can pad his resume a bit. 

What do you guys think is his issue ? I tend to think he is to busy listening to everyone that sticks a mic in his face that he needs to get stronger he needs to hit more homeruns he needs to swing harder all the noise that players hear and most veterans blow off  and he is trying to be this person everyone thinks he needs to be rather then just be like last year and just do you and let that shit come when it does if it ever does. He is letting every arm chair coach get in his head and looks all out of wack right now. My opinion would love to hear yours everyone.

I think this is part of the process. We all know the game is about adjustments. Pitchers adjust and hitters adjust. He'll figure it out. We're told he has a good batting eye... so I think he will be fine.

57 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Will keeping up ruin his confidence as he continues to struggle? Rengifo needs to be in lineup and that pushes Drury to 1B. Give DH ab to Adell.

Well, if he is mentally weak and you think struggles in the MLB may affect him, imagine how being sent down would affect him mentally. I doubt either would be an issue myself. 

Rengifo can be in the lineup most days with Schanuel still on the roster. 

Hah, I was pilloried for suggesting the Angels add some semi-expendable 1B depth and start Schanuel in AAA all winter.

I think he’s ready for MLB growing pains but spending a month in AAA working on things, feasting on thin air, working on a few things mechanically and perhaps picking up a few OF innings would bode him well for the long-haul. 

Belt is still available. And I still like Sano despite his rough last couple games. 

Guys like Kendrick and Aybar got AAA reboots in their initial seasons too. It’s not a knock on Schanuel or his MLB readiness. I can’t remember exactly but Trout either started in AAA after his first season, or returned from a brief injury straight to MLB. 

Edited by totdprods

4 hours ago, James said:

Well, if he is mentally weak and you think struggles in the MLB may affect him, imagine how being sent down would affect him mentally. I doubt either would be an issue myself. 

Rengifo can be in the lineup most days with Schanuel still on the roster. 

Schanuel on roster and not playing does not help him develop. Send him done to work on his game. This is not AYSO soccer perform get sent down. After his call-up in September he was given 1B job and what I'm saying maybe he is not ready for it yet. Maybe this will be a wake-up call for him. 

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Schanuel on roster and not playing does not help him develop. Send him done to work on his game. This is not AYSO soccer perform get sent down. After his call-up in September he was given 1B job and what I'm saying maybe he is not ready for it yet. Maybe this will be a wake-up call for him. 

Nobody said he wasn't playing regularly in my scenario, just that there are enough at bats for both. I do think its far too quick to send him down at this point. He may very well need it but 11 games doesn't give you that answer especially with the improvements that were seen in Spring. 

He should have been in the minors.  Bringing him up last year near the end is a whatever -- give him a taste is fine, i guess.  But dude has always needed to be in the minors and further develop as a hitter before moving onto the majors.  Too much forcing things by this FO.  Microwaving BBQ ribs/pork.

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

Hah, I was pilloried for suggesting the Angels add some semi-expendable 1B depth and start Schanuel in AAA all winter.

I think he’s ready for MLB growing pains but spending a month in AAA working on things, feasting on thin air, working on a few things mechanically and perhaps picking up a few OF innings would bode him well for the long-haul. 

Belt is still available. And I still like Sano despite his rough last couple games. 

Guys like Kendrick and Aybar got AAA reboots in their initial seasons too. It’s not a knock on Schanuel or his MLB readiness. I can’t remember exactly but Trout either started in AAA after his first season, or returned from a brief injury straight to MLB. 

Same. I still think Cron or Belt isn't the worst idea. 

13 hours ago, Chitown27Fan said:

What do you guys think is his issue ? I tend to think he is to busy listening to everyone that sticks a mic in his face that he needs to get stronger he needs to hit more homeruns he needs to swing harder all the noise that players hear and most veterans blow off  and he is trying to be this person everyone thinks he needs to be rather then just be like last year and just do you and let that shit come when it does if it ever does. He is letting every arm chair coach get in his head and looks all out of wack right now. My opinion would love to hear yours everyone.

I think the issue is just that he has sucked.

His exit velocities are poor, and he hits the ball into the ground. 

5 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Same. I still think Cron or Belt isn't the worst idea. 

Yes, it is. It is a waste of money that only blocks Schanuel and doesn't help his career. Salt Lake won't help him, that ballpark is not going to make him a better hitter or face major league pitching. This year the Angels should only be focused on the advancement of all their young players like Texas did three years ago instead of chasing a .500 season with patchwork veterans.

Fuck, Cron, Belt or any other cast off burnout that will waste another one of these young guys development.