• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia

What I do think is that Sciosh's original staff was STACKED with Black and Maddon.  The Angels' struggles might have more to do with how those guys have been replaced along with Hatcher's replacement than it does Scioshia.

There is no question that with Joe Maddon and Bud Black we had two of the better coaches in the game. The fact that both are major league managers now tells me that this is a shared opinion. Maddon has managed to win with a payroll far below the teams he directly competes with. Neither of these guys has been replaced on the Angels' staff. People have filled the positions, but that isn't the same thing.

The great Angels collapse in the 90's when Seattle overtook what was an unsurmountable lead, Maddon was a coach. The previous seasons he was a coach. Maddon's "genius" really only surfaced after Scioscia became manager.

Amazing since we had Hamilton unable to hit his weight, Pujols limping his way through the season and a hodge podge of less than replacement value players filling holes.

My guess you subtract Trout and we drop to the bottom third.

Bottom third is where you will find our pitching and defense currently ranked.

Hitting coach isn't getting it done????

BA : 3rd in AL

OBP: 3rd in AL

SLG: 4th in AL

OPS: 4th in AL

But don't let stats get in your way.

I get it.  You think the overall rank is what matters.  I think this team has not played up to its potential on offense, which is directly related to that hitting coach.

It's cool, we disagree.

Bottom third is where you will find our pitching and defense currently ranked.

This goes back to what I was saying before re: Dipoto and whether he is going to be capable to reload this staff and team.  This staff was reloaded with garbage, and while you can argue there wasn't much out there for him to choose from, he's the one ultimately responsible.

As I mentioned I think Sciosh probably needs to go because of the philosophical differences between him and our GM.  Sciosh is all about smallball, pitching and defense but he's not loading this roster.  I'm just afraid of how Dipoto will rebuild the coaching staff in particular, but that fear also extends to the product on the field.

Looking back at Stoneman, he had his issues but loading a coaching staff was not one of them.  This team has not been the same in that regard since he left.

Yep and I'm not sure how common that is, even though it is moreso true in other sports most notably football (to have the head coach/manager hire the assistants that is).  But for example Sciosh's initial staff (going off my crappy memory here too) was cobbled together from some of the top candidates that Stoneman was considering.  While I'm sure Stoneman had Sciosh sign on with the guys he'd be working with, I seem to recall that being how it happened.

But right now there is no doubt that Dipoto will stack the next staff whether it's one coach or the whole burrito.