• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ippei fired by Dodgers after being accused of theft by Ohtani’s attorney’s

30 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

If Shohei ends up involved in gambling and is banned from baseball, will this affect the value of my Ohtani rookie card, Gem Mint, graded 10?

I hope not...

Getting banned from baseball would probably make him more famous (infamous?) than he is now.

2 minutes ago, cals said:

I bet Ohtani smelled this coming and that’s why he deferred so much cash.  If he gets suspended for 10 years or whatever without pay then he’s only losing $20 million.  The Dodgers will start paying the 68 mil per year after the suspension is done.  Smart move.

This scenario would be so funny to watch it happen to the Dodgers 

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

And then “fans” will call it another black eye for the team and use it as a reason Arte has to go. 
Just a hunch, if Trout didn’t know Shohei had a girl friend, there’s a pretty good chance no one knew of this gambling situation. 

And suddenly they got married..... His wife can't be a witness against him? We're they betting on games in the women's basketball league in Japan? She was the insider? She retired last year. 

15 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Going off on another tangent ...

If, IF ... Ippei was/is somehow more devious than he always seemed, you never know exactly how accurate his translations were to Ohtani. 

Perhaps intentionally misleading? Trying to cause friction between Ohtani and others? With the intention of affecting Ohtani's mood and attitude in game and/or beyond? Misrepresenting gossip and rumors as well? 

Ohtani basically was helpless in communication issues without Ippei. At least in the baseball context. And maybe beyond. 

I assume Ohtani has others in his service who were bilingual. Or other translators. Such as on his legal and accounting team. But maybe Ippei was also a friend socially to some degree. Especially recreationally as it pertained to gambling. 

As highly speculative as this wild theory is, you just don't know. It's possible that Ohtani was the one with the devious mindset and saw Ippei as an easy stooge. Even more unlikely given the enormous risks and money at stake, but you can be sure the spin masters will protect him at all costs. 

Ohtani can communicate fine... 

6 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

And suddenly they got married..... His wife can't be a witness against him? We're they betting on games in the women's basketball league in Japan? She was the insider? She retired last year. 

arrested-development-george-bluth.gif.295302cfe09c639a8f577f16aa909cf7.gif

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Season may suck but the "Shoheinfraud" might be entertaining for a while.  It's going to be pretty interesting when nothing happens despite the clear violation of the CBA.

Yep. Slap on the wrist then move on. Shohei's an icon, he'll do just fine.

Meanwhile, Angels 5-10 year rebuild begins! 

To me, this just has the smell of a big coverup. Lawyers all over this before the news broke. Multiple stories. If Ohtani did indeed wire money, i have to think he has some culpability unless Ippei held a gun to his head. Something tells me MLB and Manfort will try to protect their biggest "Commodity'. Stock up on popcorn everyone, this should get interesting.

44 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

To me, this just has the smell of a big coverup. Lawyers all over this before the news broke. Multiple stories. If Ohtani did indeed wire money, i have to think he has some culpability unless Ippei held a gun to his head. Something tells me MLB and Manfort will try to protect their biggest "Commodity'. Stock up on popcorn everyone, this should get interesting.

The Feds don’t give a shit about him being a commodity. 

18 hours ago, cals said:

I bet Ohtani smelled this coming and that’s why he deferred so much cash.  If he gets suspended for 10 years or whatever without pay then he’s only losing $20 million.  The Dodgers will start paying the 68 mil per year after the suspension is done.  Smart move.

If Ohtani ends up with a mega-suspension or serving time it will be interesting if MLB tries to invoke the Uniform Player Contract "morals clause" to void his contract on behalf of the Dodgers.  MLB/Padres had to take it to an arbitrator in '87 in Lamarr Hoyt's case, and lost, but I'm sure they'd rather try that again than be stuck with 700m. 

They didn't try it with Bauer but the difference between Bauer and Ohtani's situations was that MLB knew that Bauer's case was a shakedown but still a PR nightmare, while Ohtani's case appears likely that he participated in criminal activity to some, as yet unknown, extent.  That, and about 600m.