• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

41 players from Florida's 2008 BCS champion team have been arrested

He instituted the same stuff while he was at Utah and the thug mentality has stayed. Utah and USC are usually two of the leaders when it comes to arrests. I think both schools have 15 so far this year.

Urban cares only about winning. The guy gets it done on the field but he is slime.

And here I always thought Brandon Spikes was the worst of that Gator gang. That guy should've been wheeled out on a cart wearing a Hannibal Lecter mask. He's a Patriot, by the way. I hope his jersey was not among the available options in the Hernandez exchange program.

Technically, he wasn't arrested, so...

Maiava, of Wailuku, and his brother, who lives on Oahu, were not arrested. Each was served with a summons on July 2 when prosecutors learned they would be on the island

Then there is Cliff Harris from Oregon that was kicked off the Ducks football team. He was caught driving under the influence back in 2010 while speeding and a possession charge. Then on May 1st arrested again for possession which ended up getting him dropped from the NY Jets. This is closely followed by an arrest for speeding without a license on the day he was supposed to be in court on a domestic violence charge which prompted a bench warrant to be issued when he didn't arrive on time.

That made a record of three arrest in 9 days and being cut from an NFL team, a true standout performance for a guy that never completed his college career.

Then there is Cliff Harris from Oregon that was kicked off the Ducks football team. He was caught driving under the influence back in 2010 while speeding and a possession charge. Then on May 1st arrested again for possession which ended up getting him dropped from the NY Jets. This is closely followed by an arrest for speeding without a license on the day he was supposed to be in court on a domestic violence charge which prompted a bench warrant to be issued when he didn't arrive on time.

That made a record of three arrest in 9 days and being cut from an NFL team, a true standout performance for a guy that never completed his college career.

My favorite one of these involves Chris Webber.  He was playing for the Washington Wizards (may have been Bullets then).  He was stopped in his car by the police one morning and was arrested.  He was charged with possession of weed, speeding, no license, no registration, unlicensed gun in the automobile, drug paraphernalia, resisting arrest, assaulting an officer and driving under the influence.  9 charges in all.  Where was he going?  To practice.  

lol!!  That Chris Weber story is great.

I think Titus Young also got arrested three times in a week or so.  He was released by the Lions though.  Florida probably would have made him sit out the first drive of the game.

As a Florida alumnus it makes me swell with pride.

Meyer took chances on some high-risk guys, but it seemed that the longer he was at UF, the more he backed off on discipline and became the players' friend. We stopped hearing stories about how tough practices were and how hard the players were working. Arrests went through the roof (something we once ragged Florida State about), the talent level dropped and so did the success on the field. My opinion (and it's nothing but that) is that by the time he figured out how far out of whack things had gotten, he realized that his reputation as a miracle coach was going to take a gigantic hit. Unwilling to take the risk despite a huge contract, he came up with a "health problem" that allowed him to resign, a year behind a desk at ESPN and then he turned up in Columbus.

Meyer did a great job of turning the Florida program around quickly after three very forgettable years of Ron Zook. As we are finding out, however, that came at a high cost.

What tore it for me for good was when Meyer turned the Gators in to the NCAA last month for two alleged recruiting violations that were not violations at all. However, it pulled two UF recruiters off the road for several days while it was investigated, and they just happened to be recruiting players who were also targeted by the Buckeyes.

All of this said, the thread title is misleading. The article says that 31 arrests occurred between 2005 and 2010, not 41 off one year's team. It should also be noted that this is total arrests and not the number of players, as some players had more than one arrest (most notably, one Cam Newton, who transferred to Auburn after his second one). The 41 figure includes things that happened after players left the university, which is hardly Meyer's fault.

It is still an embarrassment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad he was dismissed from the team instead of just being suspended. Hope this (serious consequences for these kinds of actions) happens more in college football instead of the typical little handslaps that are so meaningless.