• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

Despite the reputation Jo has as being a bust among many Halos fans, I remain optimistic that he can be a late bloomer and become the star so many envisioned when he was counted as one of the top 3 prospects in baseball. Positive strides have been made defensively and with his plate approach (12.1%/26.4% K-BB in AAA ly) and should give us hope he’s ready to produce now as a big leaguer.

The comp I’m going with today is Christopher Morel:

Adell 
‘23 AAA 24yo
330 PA
12.1% BB
26.4% K
.313 ISO

‘19 AA 20yo
182 PA
10.4% BB
22.5% K
.245 ISO

‘23 Statcast 
117.2 Max EV
29.0 Sprint

Morel 
‘23 AAA 24yo 
134 PA
12.7% BB
30.6% K
.400 ISO

‘22 AA 23yo
122 PA
8.2% BB
24.6% K
.259 ISO

‘23 Statcast 
113.6 Max EV
28.6 Sprint

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Jo Adell to determine whether he’s a failed prospect.  This year we will definitely see.  I think we all might as well be optimistic about him.  

I don’t think he’s failed either. It is apparent that the Angels did overvalue him though. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I don’t think he’s failed either. It is apparent that the Angels did overvalue him though. 

He was the number two ranked prospect in MLB. The entire industry was enthralled with his tools, injuries and a really unnecessary call up set him back considerably.

Adell's exit velocities, athleticism and work ethic are all elite. There's just so much more to this game then that. It's all a game of adjustments. And Adell adjusts, he's just slow at it. 

Opportunity also has to present itself. I'm highly skeptical the Angels will be competitive this year, yet for some reason they saw fit to bring in Hicks. So now Adell will need to displace Moniak and Hicks just to get a look.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Adell's exit velocities, athleticism and work ethic are all elite. There's just so much more to this game then that. It's all a game of adjustments. And Adell adjusts, he's just slow at it. 

Opportunity also has to present itself. I'm highly skeptical the Angels will be competitive this year, yet for some reason they saw fit to bring in Hicks. So now Adell will need to displace Moniak and Hicks just to get a look.

DH spot is open and maybe a trade during ST for pitching help. See how Ward looks in ST.

"“People think that once you’re a big leaguer, you’ve got everything figured out, but you’ve still got to make adjustments,” Estévez said. “That’s why you’re in the big leagues, because you can make adjustments the fastest. That’s what I believe.”"

I highlighted this in the OC Register article thread, but it bears repeating here...

This perfectly encapsulates my fears wrt Jo...

Love his work ethic, but it's his ability to make quick adjustments that is a concern...

24 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Getting hurt when he could have played everyday replacing Trout was a really bad break...

Absolutely...I was way more bummed than I should have been when that happened just for him as a human. He had the clearest opportunity ahead of him and had been playing well and minding his biz in AAA and it didn't last but what, a week? 

Really hoping he gets a shot this year.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Yeah, really don't get the Hicks move. Angels could/should have signed JD Martinez for the DH position if they actually plan on regularly playing Hicks in the OF. That would improve the club this season and they really didn't need a 5th OFer, even with DH currently planned for a rotation of players.

5 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Yeah, really don't get the Hicks move. Angels could/should have signed JD Martinez for the DH position if they actually plan on regularly playing Hicks in the OF. That would improve the club this season and they really didn't need a 5th OFer, even with DH currently planned for a rotation of players.

Since he's making league minimum, would not surprise me one bit if he was DFA'ed before end of ST if Ward and Trout prove healthy and Adell and Moniak have a strong spring, or if we decide someone like Sano or Dozier or an infielder are more of a 26-man need. 

He's effectively here on a minor league deal.