• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

Didn't know where to place this. I find it interesting you see how the front leg has changed to keep balance and a lower center of gravity to then push forward and explode through the ball.

Wonder why they couldn't catch that here? Many things are easy to see in video unless you don't know what to look? One of the many issues that I've seen the difference of our Minor League Development through continued Major League Development once they get here... 

I put up numerous videos of guys hitting last year and their swings didn't equate to their game. Which is the Shoe Box Theory they should all look the same taking away tools and individual ability.

From Velazquez forcing a lift at the end of his swing which equated to more missed barrels, just off fouled straight back, pop ups, and lazy fly balls, or, an over reaction (weak ground balls).

To Renfroe's expanded strike zone overly trying to make something happen rather than to seek out a quality pitch to hit and get a deeper count in a certain at bat or continuing the inning.

Even Schnaule's (SP) game is bat on ball using the whole field less lift and power. 

Looking at Bellinger's 2023 with the Cubs he had a minute change of hitting approach to line drive up the middle (instead of pull and launch) which allowed him to have a greater hit ability of the whole field while decreasing his exit Velo. But, he also missed less bad pitches and connected on those more which generated his power #'s to increase over the previous 2 years while decreasing his strikeouts!

8 hours ago, Kendo36 said:

There's no choice but to be hopeful here. A breakout could change the trajectory of the entire team. If he can't beat out Moniak and Aaron hicks, it's probably time to move on. 

I'm concerned with the Hicks move because on paper he's not a fourth or fifth outfielder. Like another poster stated, Adell has to play five times a week. We all want him to be confident but the team has to show confidence in him. With Ohtani gone, the one good thing that comes out of it is that there aren't big expectations. Arte's lack of big moves should cement that notion. Let Adell play regularly for the first two months and see what happens. If he thrives, great. If he doesn't, trade him. The Angels owe themselves to give him a chance. 

7 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I put up numerous videos of guys hitting last year and their swings didn't equate to their game. Which is the Shoe Box Theory they should all look the same taking away tools and individual ability.

From Velazquez forcing a lift at the end of his swing which equated to more missed barrels, just off fouled straight back, pop ups, and lazy fly balls, or, an over reaction (weak ground balls).

To Renfroe's expanded strike zone overly trying to make something happen rather than to seek out a quality pitch to hit and get a deeper count in a certain at bat or continuing the inning.

Even Schnaule's (SP) game is bat on ball using the whole field less lift and power. 

Looking at Bellinger's 2023 with the Cubs he had a minute change of hitting approach to line drive up the middle (instead of pull and launch) which allowed him to have a greater hit ability of the whole field while decreasing his exit Velo. But, he also missed less bad pitches and connected on those more which generated his power #'s to increase over the previous 2 years while decreasing his strikeouts!

I hope the hitting instruction is better this season.

21 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

Tools? Tools are useless unless somebody knows how to use them. Scouts over value tools. Was it really that hard to see that he couldn't run down a flyball or hit a fastball. Hitting 450 foot BP lasers means very little.

Did you miss the improved K-BB ratio in his most recent AAA stint? That’s a skills improvement 

22 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

That's why I'd love for them to sign Bellinger, lost draft pick aside. He's an elite defender and leaned into contact last year. The power is still there, and with another minor progression he could be close to the guy of 2019. But even if he doesn't, he's still a 4 WAR player batting LH. Beefs up the entire lineup, and necessitates a trade for a starting pitcher (Ward or Moniak). 

On 2/20/2024 at 6:10 AM, ShotimeDynasty said:

Did you miss the improved K-BB ratio in his most recent AAA stint? That’s a skills improvement 

Really hope so. We need one or both of Adell/Moniak to break out. Moniak was good last season, but there's reason for concern with his BABIP. Adell has the raw tools, but just hasn't been able to hit consistently enough to be a big leaguer. If he can hit, he'll play even if he sucks in the field because we have DH open. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:21 AM, Pancake Bear said:

Really hope so. We need one or both of Adell/Moniak to break out. Moniak was good last season, but there's reason for concern with his BABIP. Adell has the raw tools, but just hasn't been able to hit consistently enough to be a big leaguer. If he can hit, he'll play even if he sucks in the field because we have DH open. 

He has loads of talent but skills development has lagged. However he’s clearly a hard worker and we’ve seen the defense improve considerably while that K-BB ratio at AAA was a big improvement. A Morel-like season at the plate would be huge, since Adell should outperform him both on the basepaths and defensively. If he’s able to somehow secure 500 PAs I could see him producing 3 WAR. 

On 2/21/2024 at 8:46 PM, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Always felt like Adell needed just needed to be short to the ball and use all fields. The talent is extremally high and hopefully everything connects this season. 

I recall seeing a good amount of his AAA home runs going out to right centerfield. With Washington’s guidance he could excel using all fields. He’s so strong that any barrel is going out of the park regardless of whether it’s pulled or not. 

16 hours ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

I recall seeing a good amount of his AAA home runs going out to right centerfield. With Washington’s guidance he could excel using all fields. He’s so strong that any barrel is going out of the park regardless of whether it’s pulled or not. 

there were a lot of 'bad swings' of him doing that.  Poor mechanics.  Poor timing.  He just muscled the ball out of the yard.   It takes a special level of bat speed and strength to do that.  

natural talent, technique, and skill development are all important at various levels for anyone trying to improve at something physical.  

Adell hit a ball over 117 mph last year.  One of the fastest in baseball of everyone.  

His avg exit velo of 87.3 mph would have him as one of baseball's worst.  

There are tons of guys with less natural ability and poor technique that make it work and work well for many years because they've developed the skill of taking that combo and making it repeatable in a way that minimizes being exploited.  

On 2/18/2024 at 1:55 PM, ShotimeDynasty said:

Despite the reputation Jo has as being a bust among many Halos fans, I remain optimistic that he can be a late bloomer and become the star so many envisioned when he was counted as one of the top 3 prospects in baseball. Positive strides have been made defensively and with his plate approach (12.1%/26.4% K-BB in AAA ly) and should give us hope he’s ready to produce now as a big leaguer.

The comp I’m going with today is Christopher Morel:

Adell 
‘23 AAA 24yo
330 PA
12.1% BB
26.4% K
.313 ISO

‘19 AA 20yo
182 PA
10.4% BB
22.5% K
.245 ISO

‘23 Statcast 
117.2 Max EV
29.0 Sprint

Morel 
‘23 AAA 24yo 
134 PA
12.7% BB
30.6% K
.400 ISO

‘22 AA 23yo
122 PA
8.2% BB
24.6% K
.259 ISO

‘23 Statcast 
113.6 Max EV
28.6 Sprint

After 1 game played for each of these guys it’s close but advantage Jo Adell (no I will not keep doing this unless Jo keeps his OPS above 2.000)

On 2/20/2024 at 12:19 PM, ThisismineScios said:

That's why I'd love for them to sign Bellinger, lost draft pick aside. He's an elite defender and leaned into contact last year. The power is still there, and with another minor progression he could be close to the guy of 2019. But even if he doesn't, he's still a 4 WAR player batting LH. Beefs up the entire lineup, and necessitates a trade for a starting pitcher (Ward or Moniak). 

..... Or he could be the next Pujols, Hamilton, or Rendon.....just saying.