• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

My rose colored glasses say:

Yeah, throw away money on Bellinger because he could just play like he did last year but if he reverts to the previous 4 the Angels are screwed and add in Lorenzen that has proved that he can't complete a season, even in a 6 man rotation, so we can look forward to another August nose dive.

The two of them just may make the Angels eligible for the last wild card slot or tank the team for another 5 years with another dead contract.

I'll take tanking the payroll for $200 million, Alex.

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Yeah, throw away money on Bellinger because he could just play like he did last year but if he reverts to the previous 4 the Angels are screwed and add in Lorenzen that has proved that he can't complete a season, even in a 6 man rotation, so we can look forward to another August nose dive.

The two of them just may make the Angels eligible for the last wild card slot or tank the team for another 5 years with another dead contract.

I'll take tanking the payroll for $200 million, Alex.

Previous 4?  3 years ago he had an OPS+ of 112 and 4 years ago it was 167.  He had two awful years not four. He is 28 and I think more likely to be a 120-130 OPS+ guy. I have no idea what his price tag is now, but it feels like you can get him for 6 years and maybe around $150 million but I don’t know. 

If Trout and Rendon were healthy and between having a great manager and a step forward from the young guys, it's not hard to see how this team could be the Rangers of 2024. I just have zero faith in them staying healthy at this point. It's been the same offseason song and dance every year, so it comes down to the rest of the team, which is probably not good enough at this point to be more than a fringe wild card contender if things fell right. I'm not sure Bellinger or Lorenzen moves the needle enough to matter. 

My rose colored glasses say that the Angels could sell at the deadline and get enough prospects in return that they'll be ready to compete again in three or so years all while Neto, Schanuel, O'Hoppe begin to hit their prime and money will be coming off the books from other contacts. Combine all that with Minasian's solid track record in the draft and trades, and I think the Angels could right the ship and build a sustainable winner in three years. 

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

My rose colored glasses say that the Angels could sell at the deadline and get enough prospects in return that they'll be ready to compete again in three or so years all while Neto, Schanuel, O'Hoppe begin to hit their prime and money will be coming off the books from other contacts. Combine all that with Minasian's solid track record in the draft and trades, and I think the Angels could right the ship and build a sustainable winner in three years. 

Nice to see someone give Minasian some props. Been watching this team since late seventies can’t recall a gm. that has had two draft picks, a trade actually two I'll include Moniak with O’hoppe that appear to be MLB caliber.Not to mention a few pitchers come up and perform so quickly at the MLB level.

Doing so with a wishy washy owner.  I think his only true error was club house involvement which is understandable, that’s where he grew up everybody likes to be where they’re comfortable. I hope he gets to finish the job along with Mr. Washington , who know’s what Arte is going to do next.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

They lost a bat like Ohtani’s and didn’t do anything to replace him so they are way far from contending. Hopefully they rebuild and maybe in a few years  

But getting a healthy Trout and Rendon back in the lineup are like making two big splashes.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sell who?

Their plethora of relievers. At the trade deadline, those are in high demand. Estevez, Moore and Stephenson and maybe even a starter like Sandoval could bring in a decent crop pf prospects and help restock the system. 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

But getting a healthy Trout and Rendon back in the lineup are like making two big splashes.

Agreed but I'll believe that when I see it. They are both a year older and age isn't a good thing in professional sports. 

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Food for thought:

M’s won 91 games in 2000 and then saw PayRod and his 10+ WAR leave, while adding mainly Ichiro who put up a 7+ WAR in 2001.

How many games won in 2001?

The difference is that the 2000 Mariners were already a playoff team, so they could withstand the loss of one great player, because they still had several other very good guys--plus, they didn't just add Ichiro: they got Bret Boone, who had an absolutely batshit crazy 2001 (8.8 bWAR, 3rd in MVP voting). 

So, for the purposes of your example, in present day terms, that would be like if the Angels lost Ohtani this season and replaced him with Mookie Betts and Ronald Acuna, Jr.  But, hey, they signed Aaron Hicks so we're this close to Betts and Acuna...ha ha.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

How bout the most recent example of the Rangers, 68 win team, added a few wins in free agency, got a healthy year on the offensive side, won 90 games and the World Series. 

if Trout and Rendon become the 2024 version of Semien and Seager then we'll have a very good offense.  

The Rangers also had depth.  They were able to limit the number of PA for guys with a 0 or below WAR to 500 or so.  

Kinda why I like Chapman at the right price.  He essentially shoves Stefanic to the minors and turns Rendon into the UTIL guy.  Again, I really think he can maintain his value for 3-4 years.  

8 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

if Trout and Rendon become the 2024 version of Semien and Seager then we'll have a very good offense.  

The Rangers also had depth.  They were able to limit the number of PA for guys with a 0 or below WAR to 500 or so.  

Kinda why I like Chapman at the right price.  He essentially shoves Stefanic to the minors and turns Rendon into the UTIL guy.  Again, I really think he can maintain his value for 3-4 years.  

I wonder who will have negative WAR offensively as an Angel this year?  Outfielders? Probably none of them if Hicks and Moniak platoon.  Of the infielders maybe Thaiss, who I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s replaced by Gary Sanchez since he could DH. Paris if he’s up here?  I believe Stefanic will be decent offensively.