• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Random Notables of Angels Baseball Thread (Past & Present)

Don Baylor becomes Angels' first MVP. 

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/don-baylor/

Don Baylor propelled the Angels to their first playoff appearance in franchise history in 1979, batting cleanup in all 162 games and earning 20 of a possible 28 first-place votes to claim MVP honors. His totals of 139 RBIs and 120 runs scored led the major leagues, and he added career bests in home runs (36), on-base percentage (.371), slugging percentage (.530), and walks (71) while striking out just 51 times. He batted .330 with runners in scoring position. Baylor struggled while battling tendinitis in his left wrist in June, but sandwiched that down spell with player-of-the-month performances in May and July. He earned his only All-Star selection, starting in left field, batting third, and getting two hits with a pair of runs scored. In his first at-bat, he pulled a run-scoring double off Phillies southpaw Steve Carlton. On August 25 at Toronto, Baylor logged a personal-best eight RBIs in one game as the Angels romped, 24-2.

In the 1979 playoffs, Baylor and the Angels met the same Baltimore Orioles club that developed him, but a storybook ending was not in the cards. Though Baylor went deep against Dennis Martinez in California’s Game Three victory, he batted just .188 as the Angels lost three games to one.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL197309270.shtml

This was game 162 of the 1973 season. I was a 9 year old just a couple weeks into grade 4 and not really supposed to stay up that late but I listened to all 11 innings on my little radio as Nolan Ryan came out for the 11th inning and struck out Rich Reese to end the inning and record strikeout number 383, surpassing Koufax.

It was his 7th consecutive complete game and he had double digit Ks in 6 of them. He finished this one allowing 4 runs in 11 innings with 16 Ks and 7 walks, 10 hits allowed

Over the course of the season he faced 1355 batters with 383 Ks and 162 BBs and ended the season in a way that had me excited for the '74 season and and Angel fan for life

13 hours ago, Chuck said:

I thought we needed a thread where we can bring attention to some random historical stuff from yesteryear or stuff that just pops up in the present day that you would like to bring attention to. 

I'll kick this thread off with Darin Erstad regarding his season in 2000.

It was amazing 

Watching Krod shred though the 2002 playoff Yankees, Twins, and Giants might be one of the most amazing emergences I've ever seen. The guy had 5 innings pitched that year at the MLB level. I remember honest debate whether to have Frankie or seasoned lefty Dennis Cook on the playoffs roster. 

Edited by Erstad Grit

I was thrilled when the Angels drafted Jered Weaver, but went a little crazy waiting for him to sign.  It took a while.  His first start was one of the most anticipated moments for me as an Angel fan. He came with a lot of hype, but wasn't without his critics - some of them thought he'd have arm trouble because of his delivery. 

On 1/2/2024 at 8:54 AM, arch stanton said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL197309270.shtml

This was game 162 of the 1973 season. I was a 9 year old just a couple weeks into grade 4 and not really supposed to stay up that late but I listened to all 11 innings on my little radio as Nolan Ryan came out for the 11th inning and struck out Rich Reese to end the inning and record strikeout number 383, surpassing Koufax.

It was his 7th consecutive complete game and he had double digit Ks in 6 of them. He finished this one allowing 4 runs in 11 innings with 16 Ks and 7 walks, 10 hits allowed

Over the course of the season he faced 1355 batters with 383 Ks and 162 BBs and ended the season in a way that had me excited for the '74 season and and Angel fan for life

I was at that game.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:50 PM, Chuck said:

I thought we needed a thread where we can bring attention to some random historical stuff from yesteryear or stuff that just pops up in the present day that you would like to bring attention to. 

I'll kick this thread off with Darin Erstad regarding his season in 2000.

And first ever lead off hitter with at least 100 rbis

• 2 weeks later...