• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should we be nervous?

angelsfan100

we don't know what the current team actually is.  there is a variance from 'replacement level' to 'borderline all star' for probably 2/3rds of the lineup, probably 4/5ths of the starting pitchers, and pretty much the entire bullpen.  

I'm back on the depth train.  

The avg number of plate appearances per position is 681 per year.  Or about 6100 total.  The top 9 in PA for the angels last year totaled about 3800 PA.  

Right now, those additional 2300 PA would go to:

Matt Thaiss, Michael Stefanic, Jo Adell, Trey Cabbage, Francisco Mejia, Chad Wallach, Alfonso Rivas, Evan White, Charles LeBlanc, Kyren Paris, Livan Soto, Jordyn Adams, Willy Calhoun, Jake Marisnick, and Orlando Martinez.  

That's 38% of next year's at bats going to what I consider a collection of guys that might produce at a replacement level and probably worse.  

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

we don't know what the current team actually is.  there is a variance from 'replacement level' to 'borderline all star' for probably 2/3rds of the lineup, probably 4/5ths of the starting pitchers, and pretty much the entire bullpen.  

The avg number of plate appearances per position is 681 per year.  Or about 6100 total.  The top 9 in PA for the angels last year totaled about 3800 PA.  

Matt Thaiss, Michael Stefanic, Jo Adell, Trey Cabbage, Francisco Mejia, Chad Wallach, Alfonso Rivas, Evan White, Charles LeBlanc, Kyren Paris, Livan Soto, Jordyn Adams, Willy Calhoun, Jake Marisnick, and Orlando Martinez.  

That's 38% of next year's at bats going to what I consider a collection of guys that might produce at a replacement level and probably worse.  

I'm depressed now. 

With WM picking up the dumpster on Friday as it is now full.

Good god that’s depressing!! Thank you for putting that all together. Even if we make a big signing ala Bellinger or just go the SP route Snell/Montgomery. We need another off-season like last year where we are bringing in 2-3 veteran bats. It’s clear our guys can’t stay healthy, I don’t expect this year to be any different so let’s be ready.

I think we need at least two guys from the pack: Turner, Joc, JD, Teoscar, Urshela, Merrifield, Hoskins, Soler, T Anderson, trade for Polanco, trade for Kepler.

Too many people on here are conflating what they would do or think should be done with what they think the Angels will do. 

My reading of the situation is that they are probably in a weird position where Arte doesn't want to rebuild, but also doesn't want to actually overspend on mediocre players, which is why we're not doing anything. So, we have money to spend and we're 'in' on some of the top players, but will we actually sign them? Depends which side of the bed Arte rolls awake off of. It also depends on what Perry's strategy is, since he seems to be slightly better at influencing Arte than his predecessors. 

4 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Yep, team needs more 2 fWAR guys.  Honestly a few 1 fWAR guys would be nice.

I think there's actually some potential for them to have a really solid lineup and rotation. Incredible? No. But if they grab 2 of Snell, Montgomery, Stroman, Clevenger, Montas, or Imanaga, or one of those guys and trade for a SP, then get 2 more above average bats, I'd feel good about the rotation and lineup. Two FA pitchers and 2 FA hitters shouldn't cost more than $70 million. Roster would be something like

Schanuel
Trout
Teoscar
JD/Turner
O'Hoppe
Rendon
Drury (or Anderson/Rengifo if you trade him)
Ward/Moniak/Adell (whoever they keep)
Neto

Would make me actually feel good. 

Rotation of 

Snell/Montgomery/Stroman
Detmers
FA/Trade 
Sandoval (or trade him)
Canning/Silseth/Anderson

With Bachman, Rosenberg, Suarez, and DDaniel as depth. 

The bullpen is the real issue. You have no idea what will happen and it's so volatile. I have absolutely no idea what they're doing. They have Estevez, Joyce, Soriano, Cimber, Garcia, Kolarek, Caceres, Quijada, Wantz, Warren, Herget, Mederos...no clue. 

11 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

If pitchers use I-pads Angels do not want.

That’s such a dumb narrative…

The Angels literally hired a guy from the DBacks whose job description included “managing video for dugout iPads” to be their head of game planning for pitching.

On 12/27/2023 at 11:15 PM, angelsfan100 said:

I know it's "the holidays" so maybe FA market probably simmers down durirng this week. However I can't help but think the Angels have yet to sign some guys to get excited about by now. I'm not expecting some big splash FA signing, but there's gotta be something there. 

I think it's slow in general other than the Dodgers. I still think we'll get at least 3 "names."

On 12/27/2023 at 8:25 PM, Second Base said:

I think it's going to be a quiet off-season for the Angels. They won't want to overpay and screw their future, which is kind of what they're experiencing right now. And they've got a lot of young guys that they'll need to figure out if they're building blocks or not. Neto, O'Hoppe, Bachman, Joyce, Silseth, Moniak, Adell....

I think it's a solid bet that they'll continue to address the bullpen, and add a short term veteran bat and a back of the rotation arm and that's it. Unexciting, inexpensive and disappointing. But how else are they supposed to rebuild their depleted farm system? 

I'm just still trying to figure out what "aggressive" is supposed to mean. 
They got the last chance to dance with Ohtani and be "aggressive" and completely balked on it. 

8 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I think there's actually some potential for them to have a really solid lineup and rotation. Incredible? No. But if they grab 2 of Snell, Montgomery, Stroman, Clevenger, Montas, or Imanaga, or one of those guys and trade for a SP, then get 2 more above average bats, I'd feel good about the rotation and lineup.

I would love to see that happen but I'm not optimistic.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

They got the last chance to dance with Ohtani and be "aggressive" and completely balked on it. 

They sign three guys legitimately capable of putting up 2-3 fWAR seasons, that would IMO be more aggressive than they have been in a while.  

The mistake they made with Ohtani was not aggressively shopping him when they had the chance.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I’d balk too on giving $700 million to someone who may or may not pitch effectively in the future (2 surgeries).

$700 million is beyond expensive for a guy who’s mainly a great DH.

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Which three guys in the free agency pack would you suggest? 

I would like it if they kept away from the big budget guys. 

I mentioned guys by name early -- most have been signed.   As far as guys capable of getting 2 fWAR seasons, Soler, Stroman, Manaea, Rosario probably -- they all carry some risk but I don't think they would require crazy money.  

There there are all the usual high risk reclamation guys with upside -- Paxton, Montas.

I like Jordan Montgomery because no QO -- he'll fall into the big budget category, likely gets paid like a back end 1/top end 2 and more likely performs like a good three.  Dude could turn out being another Sonny Gray where he pitches better than his stuff would lead you to believe.

Hernandez is a guy that could go either way -- his neutral park data was really strong, still runs well, his defense is meh -- but he likely wants 4 years.

There are a ton of 1 fWAR guys that they could get but thats where you run into grenades IMO.

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

Which three guys in the free agency pack would you suggest? 

I would like it if they kept away from the big budget guys. 

JD Martinea 2 war, Brandon Belt 2 war and Mike Clevenger a 3 war and Michael Lorenzen 2 war last year plus A. Chapman a 1.5 war. Throw in Tim Anderson as bounce back candidate.