• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels did not match the Dodgers offer

T.G.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/report-angels-did-not-match-dodgers-offer-for-ohtani.html

Per the report from Harris, Ohtani’s agent Nez Balelo reached out to them towards the end of the process and gave them a chance to convince Ohtani to stay. But Moreno was reportedly unwilling to match the offer Ohtani eventually signed. “It’s a place that he really loved to play. He loved the people there, everything. So we didn’t want to miss the idea of giving them an opportunity,” Balelo said “But at the end, it just wasn’t going to work.”

He’s a dodger. Time to move on.

This is like wondering if we’d have just listened to our ex gf while she was rambling about something irrelevant if she would have blown those 2 guys at the Irish bar and never called again. 

I know I’m not the only one you liars. 

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Least annoying bit of Angels related info today.  The news Perry was wanting or willing to trade was worse.

I bet they were in on the 46m aav. My guess is the overall value wasn’t close but probably weren’t interested in the deferral. Ultimately they probably felt that the 46+m annually was too rich for the holes to fill. At the end of the day, they have the most info on his medicals too. The risk/reward was probably blown through.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

So they take the Dodgers offer back to the Angels and asked them if they’d match it.  So Arte is just supposed to trust them that they really had a $700 million offer?  Then if the Angels match it, then what?  

It doesn't make a difference.  Right?

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Least annoying bit of Angels related info today.  The news Perry was wanting or willing to trade was worse.

Exactly

I'm OK with the owner refusing to approve to pay for a salary, that's their job. 

Perry could have shifted this organization with that trade. 

Why pay a guy who's broadcasting rights pay half (at worst) of his salary when you can instead buy old men and 1 year deals or guys nobody cares about instead?

It would be one thing if this was an org with a  fat farm system, and a history of getting it right. 

But we have a monkey mascot.

And before anyone argues about dollars and all that, like I said in the other thread... Albert. Hamilton. Wilson. Wells. Cowart. Harvey. And on and on and on.

We just let Babe Ruth walk because we were scared to waste money on a guy who's broadcasting rights almost paid his yearly salary.. 

And knowing that years ahead of today, we let him walk away instead of trading him.

We gave up Marsh to get a guy we hope can stick at MLB at C.

We literally got less for Ohtani, who brought in 30 mill a year in broadcasting.

This franchise is back to the 90s for a decade, at least

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The takeaway for me isn't that he wanted to -- it's that nothing had changed and the "unfinished business" guy is still keeping his GMs from being successful.

I was hoping maybe that had changed.

We were all hopeful with the bump in payroll.  That it somehow meant more autonomy for Perry.  When in fact it probably meant less.  

The only hope for an Arte run franchise is that you get a year where a bunch of complimentary pieces actually come together like in 2014.  

There is zero semblance of sustainability for this outfit.  Always hoping to be vanilla ice instead of Led Zeppelin.  

6 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

There is zero semblance of sustainability for this outfit.  Always hoping to be vanilla ice instead of Led Zeppelin.  

I fell in love with you years ago on a baseball website.

And while the other guys loved you for your SABR shit, I was quietly in the background... adoring you for this kind of shit.

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

At the end of the day, they have the most info on his medicals too. The risk/reward was probably blown through.

The Dodgers received the same medical reports and figured they could take the risk end knowing the reward. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Dodgers received the same medical reports and figured they could take the risk end knowing the reward. 

This. There is no way in hell the Dodgers gave him that contract without full disclosure of his medicals. Also, isn't the surgeon who performed the surgery like the head of the Dodgers medical staff?

32 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

23 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I fell in love with you years ago on a baseball website.

And while the other guys loved you for your SABR shit, I was quietly in the background... adoring you for this kind of shit.

Now I can't stop thinking about Perry going to Arte with a trade proposal only to have Arte stand up and say "All right stop, collaborate and listen.. Arte's back with a brand new invention"

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The takeaway for me isn't that he wanted to -- it's that nothing had changed and the "unfinished business" guy is still keeping his GMs from being successful.

I was hoping maybe that had changed.

I hate to say but if I were the Angels owner I wouldn't have made a matching offer knowing the limitations the Angels were under with the 6 man rotation and how at a higher AAV would handcuff the GM even more. I certainly would have listened to trade offers going back as far as 2022 so Minasian had more to work with today.

So, Moreno made a bad decision based on ticket revenue and then a good one based on future value. The Dodgers have far more asset value than the Angels to make this contract work even if Ohtani isn't able to pitch effectively in 4 or 5 seasons.