• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

38 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Geoff and I just recorded one. Just when it ended my power went out and a tornado touched down in my area, sirens ensued. 

Tons of damage in my surrounding area to buildings, homes, grocery stores and churches. 

What a crazy day... but hey, I had a few bourbons on our show. 

Is everything at your place and property and your family and friends there okay?

4 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Do your research bud.  I didn't start this.   

wrong. nearly all of your posts in this thread have been to criticize posters, not the signing. 

acting like you're a victim here after agitating others is pretty typical of the jr. high girls drama i see on a regular basis.

4 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

You'd be surprised and not in  a good way.   And your opinions are usually vacant of worthwhile info or substance.

But your opinion of yourself is incredible.  Kudos 

here's a pretty good example of what i've been reading from you today.

Just now, Tank said:

wrong. nearly all of your posts in this thread have been to criticize posters, not the signing. 

acting like you're a victim here after agitating others is pretty typical of the jr. high girls drama i see on a regular basis.

If you were doing your job as a mod, you would have shut down the personal attacks on me (in the Ippi thread)  that started this.  My responses were ONLY to those who attacked me first and their supporters.   So do better.

49 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Geoff and I just recorded one. Just when it ended my power went out and a tornado touched down in my area, sirens ensued. 

Tons of damage in my surrounding area to buildings, homes, grocery stores and churches. 

What a crazy day... but hey, I had a few bourbons on our show. 

So I've been AWOL on the board for a bit now because life happens. And this is in the same alley.

"Sports is fun" and all that, but real life is real.

Hang in there bro. Tornados suck. Hope you guys are safe.

11 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

If you were doing your job as a mod, you would have shut down the personal attacks on me (in the Ippi thread)  that started this.  My responses were ONLY to those who attacked me first and their supporters.   So do better.

13 minutes ago, Tank said:

nice try.

The podcast is very much needed. Everybody here needs to watch it. It is a calming and much needed balm for this turn of events. Chuck and Geoff bring the right perspective; they nailed it. I would say that we should not be using this topic to one-up each other. We are all disappointed in losing Ohtani. We all have our particular take on it, but none of us here are the ones that made the decision. The podcast sheds light on the proper perspective. Yes, the Angels blew it on many fronts as to this saga, but let us not forget that the Angels also bent over backwards to accommodate Ohtani by allowing him to pursue his dream and desire to be a two-way star and to do something historical. It was his dream to do that, and he got that opportunity. As I remember six years or so ago, other teams were not so willing. Along with allowing that, the Angels took on a significant risk, too. That manisfested itself in him being on the injured list for a not-so-insignificant percentage of his playing time. 

31 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

And from August first of 2023, the Angels had zero shot of keeping him.  Their only chance to prove to Shohei that they could do what was necessary to win was 2023.  Just prior to the deadline they were within shouting distance of the wild card.  Injuries had piled up and Perry was essentially forced to make a bunch of trades to maintain what he was able to piece together from earlier in the season.  The problem was that his deadline was an absolute miserable failure that ultimately left the team with 73 wins and zero chance to re-sign him.  If you pull out all of the stops and end up with 73 wins while going 17-38 over the final 55 games of a must win season, you have zero chance to keep a guy who's main priority is winning.  

The long term success of any baseball franchise is the farm system.  You might be able to occasionally piece together a halfway decent team via the free agent market and some trades, but ultimately, to create sustainable winning, you need to have a capable farm system.  This is not a mystery to any of us.   

And it's not just about having a young, club controlled, major league team.  You always need to worry about the next guy.  Injury and poor performance happen as we've seen.  Over and Over and Over.  

Having Ohtani and Trout.  Two generational players and not being able to piece together a winner just tells you how important this really is.  And the real kick in the teeth is that the farm was kinda moving in the right direction yet to convince Ohtani to stay, you have to essentially put a major dent in what little progress the system had made.   And because they're stubborn and short-sighted as a franchise as they've been for the last 20 years, they were never going to trade their golden goose for what is actually even more important that a Unicorn.  

So here we stand once again.  With the worst farm in baseball.  Yes, there is some young talent on this roster but in order to win it will take everyone reaching their potential and very few, if any, injuries.  

I actually don't care that they didn't keep Shohei for that kind of money.  I'm most annoyed because of the double bitch slap at the end.  Not trading him AND selling off a bunch of prospects to try and keep him.  Recently I have wanted to believe that this franchise was doing things to move in the right direction.  Nope, they just doubled down and put themselves in a lose lose.  

I really don't think I'm gonna feel a lot of positivity toward this team until Arte no longer owns it.  

Bro you fuxken nailed it

this NEWS JUST IN.

A bunch of us have been saying. here for about. a year now that Ohtani would be a Dodger in 2024.

the only question was - how much.  $700 million about $200 million more. than I expected

I felt then and feel now that we should have traded Ohtani for pitching at the deadline played the Dodgers off the Yankees, maybe Giants -who-ever the Dodgers biggest competition was to signing Ohtani (I would have never guessed Toronto. They weren't even on the.  radar until  ten days ago). You. could have gotten any of. those teams to way over pay for an. Ohtani rental for the stretch run/ playoff (Dodgers could have used  him but he wasn't pitching - even back then at deadline  time) plus had a leg up to talking to him and signing long term.

Oh. well, water under the bridge,.

The real prize in FA. this off season has. yet to sign - Yamamoto the. Japanese. starting pitcher. -- may be a better. FA for 2024 then. Ohtani -  limited to DH

4 minutes ago, disarcina said:

this NEWS JUST IN.

A bunch of us have been saying. here for about. a year now that Ohtani would be a Dodger in 2024.

the only question was - how much.  $700 million about $200 million more. than I expected

I felt then and feel now that we should have traded Ohtani for pitching at the deadline played the Dodgers off the Yankees, maybe Giants -who-ever the Dodgers biggest competition was to signing Ohtani (I would have never guessed Toronto. They weren't even on the.  radar until  ten days ago). You. could have gotten any of. those teams to way over pay for an. Ohtani rental for the stretch run/ playoff (Dodgers could have used  him but he wasn't pitching - even back then at deadline  time) plus had a leg up to talking to him and signing long term.

Oh. well, water under the bridge,.

The real prize in FA. this off season has. yet to sign - Yamamoto the. Japanese. starting pitcher. -- may be a better. FA for 2024 then. Ohtani -  limited to DH

I agree, but he hasn't even been linked to us. 

another question about this -- did y'all see the Dodger website posting. -- and I mean the team site posting its own story not some random poster and not  the. MLB.com site "plane to Toronto' guy -- the. Dodgers PR dept. put out a story Friday night that the Dodgers. were OUT and that Ohtani was entertaining an offer from Toronto.

I saw that - folks forwarded it all over the place - and immediately thought  it was a Dodger head fake - perhaps demanded by Ohtani's people to make up for Manager Roberts' comments earlier in the. week that Ohtani took exception to. -- remember - this is a weird FA negotiation - the player wants NO NEWS OUT, NO LEAKS - and Roberts' comments violated Ohtani's rule -- and Ohtani's way of enforcement is - if you leak news of any sort - I'm not signing with you.

So - if it was FAKE NEWS generated by the. Dodgers PR office  - should the commissioner's office. take action? Or is this the start of FAKE NEWS being generated by teams to impact FA market?

Boras and. other agents. used this tactic - send out news that teams A, B and C are expressing interest in his client so that Boras can pressure team D.

When Shohei Ohtani visited the Dodgers on Dec. 1, he made a point of asking the club about its player development philosophy and the state of its minor league system. Los Angeles was ranked by MLB.com midway through the 2023 season as having the sixth-best system in baseball. The Blue Jays, who were next on Ohtani’s limited free-agent tour, checked in at No. 25.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/12/09/dodgers-decade-long-pursuit-shohei-ohtani-finally-comes-through

Not sure why he wasn't impressed with Kyren Paris and Sonny Dichiara 

24 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/12/09/dodgers-decade-long-pursuit-shohei-ohtani-finally-comes-through

Not sure why he wasn't impressed with Kyren Paris and Sonny Dichiara 

Ohtani is like a woman who gets out of a terrible relationship or marriage, and the next guy she's with has a job, treats her well, and has his shit together. And she's constantly amazed and saying things like, "Wait, you actually clean up after yourself? Men do that?"