• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

Obviously that contract is at a new level of staggering.

So many are saying it’s insane, can’t be worth it, is stupid, makes no sense, will be crippling, or some variation of this.

I am also shocked at the number, but baseball fans have been shocked at escalating contracts for 40 years.

It just tells me some teams have more resources available than I thought and that they believe they can make it up I some combination of ways, some of which might just be investing in the anticipated equity growth of the value of the franchise.

I’m sure they have this all worked out on paper.

I just wish the Angels had it figured out.

We need to have some thick skin this offseason and take all the Angels/Arte hit pieces that will surely come.  Some will be deserved. 

Be smart here Perry… Just like when you talked Arte out of signing Trea Turner. Spread the money around. Keep raising the floor on the roster.  Don’t cripple your flexibility with the wrong deal

If we get back to contending and winning, all the pain goes away.  We aren’t that far away.  Probably not this year unless everything goes right, but 2025 could be interesting. 

1 minute ago, HBAngel13 said:

We need to have some thick skin this offseason and take all the Angels/Arte hit pieces that will surely come.  Some will be deserved. 

Be smart here Perry… Just like when you talked Arte out of signing Trea Turner. Spread the money around. Keep raising the floor on the roster.  Don’t cripple your flexibility with the wrong deal

If we get back to contending and winning, all the pain goes away.  We aren’t that far away.  Probably not this year unless everything goes right, but 2025 could be interesting. 

I dunno, they are pretty far away. This team has very little pitching.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Obviously that contract is at a new level of staggering.

So many are saying it’s insane, can’t be worth it, is stupid, makes no sense, will be crippling, or some variation of this.

I am also shocked at the number, but baseball fans have been shocked at escalating contracts for 40 years.

It just tells me some teams have more resources available than I thought and that they believe they can make it up I some combination of ways, some of which might just be investing in the anticipated equity growth of the value of the franchise.

I’m sure they have this all worked out on paper.

I just wish the Angels had it figured out.

This is why, during the lockout, people were saying that the teams were doing just fine and all the crying poor were full of shit.

24 minutes ago, full circle said:

If the Angels had signed him for $700 million, I would not have been in favor.  He won’t even be worth half that. 

That statement is not about money, it is about the inconsistent statements people would have made, in complete opposition to all the negative remarks about Shohei in this thread, if he had stayed, i.e., people would not be bad mouthing him if he had stayed in Anaheim, Irregardless of the price (which they would still complain about right or wrong). 

Just now, ettin said:

That statement is not about money, it is about the inconsistent statements people would have made, in complete opposition to all the negative remarks about Shohei in this thread, if he had stayed, i.e., people would not be bad mouthing him if he had stayed in Anaheim, Irregardless of the price (which they would still complain about right or wrong). 

I'll complain about your use of the word 'irregardless.' Pet peeve of mine.

irregardless

adverb

ir·re·gard·less ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs 

nonstandard

27 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I'm actually happy he didn't stay here for a mountain of money. $700 million saved will buy a lot of pitching, etc.

It sure will and it will likely not make a lick of difference in our record at the end of the year. I could be wrong, but Ohtani staying would have more of an impact on the Angels winning, more so than losing. We were probably damned if we do, damned if we don't, anyway, but an Angels squad with Ohtani would likely be more likely to win than without in my opinion.

The Angels suck for not signing Shohei, but they would have sucked for signing him.

The problems with the org are much larger than one player, even one as historic as Ohtani.

I didn't read the Blum article, but I hope he talked not just (or even primarily) about spending on major league talent to compete, but all corners cut throughout the org - from screwing minor leaguers to no international scouting to player development in general. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

I figured this article was coming from him and other writers -- but I wonder if he had the story about how the Angels were dumb to sign him ready too.

I know I would've. You can just ctrl+H "Ohtani" with whatever loser Arte is going to offer a mega contract to over the next month.

And btw, the Angels not signing Ohtani to a similar deal is not a failure.  The Angel's failures started many years ago and the fact that keeping Ohtani would have likely compounded those failures makes this a bullet dodged.  Ohtani was an 18 win player over the last two years and the Angels averaged 73 wins in each of those seasons.  Even if you find a way to improve the rest of the team by 17 games somehow then you're sniffing 90 wins. 

This franchise and that player are just not a match right now.   The only reason the Angels were part of the discussion is because of his history here and really not because it makes any sense whatsoever for the immediate future.   

33 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

100% speculation.  

No, not speculation. If Ohtani had stayed, most of these folks would be signing his praises, Irregardless and completely independent of the price he signed for.