• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Ohtani Goes Elsewhere

Stradling

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Would love Jung Hoo Lee to lead off and play LF but I hear the Padres are the front runner for him. They have Kim on the club and they have a serious void in their OF with the latest Soto/Grisham trade to the Yankees. 

I like your first two selections in Imanaga and Hicks and I think Turner would be the better DH because he can play 3B/1B as well. 

I've liked Soler because of his power to replace Ohtani, but his outfield defense isn't good. 

Really would like to have Lee hitting leadoff. He would supply on base skills and better baserunning. Also think he will be better defensively than Ward in LF. Really like Hicks too. Think he is going to get way over payed by someone. I also think Iminaga is someone who could fit in good. If he doesn't crack the rotation right away, he could be a good piggyback option with another starter. At this point, i am not a fan of signing a dh. That spot should be kept flexible for guys being rotated thru that spot. Like when O'Hoppe isn't catching, he could dh to keep his bat in the lineup. Trout, Rendon,Drury,Adell, Rengifo and Shanuel could also be rotated there. To me, it just gives the team more flexibility to rest guys and keep their bats in the lineup. Not to mention the savings of one less contract.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:50 PM, Dgar24 said:

Shota Imanaga. Five years, $85MM

On December 7th (JST), Shota Imanaga's agent, Hasegawa (Octagon), responded to a Japanese interview.

"Shota Imanaga has interest from over 10 teams, although there are various levels of interest. Many teams want a left-handed starting pitcher. He has already held interviews with multiple teams online. Unless the destinations of Ohtani and Yamamoto are decided first, the market will not move easily."

Imanaga's comment after the players meeting of Yokohama DeNA BayStars on the same day:
”Personally, it hasn't sunk in yet, but I'm really happy that many teams are interested in me at the age of 30.”

Source of Imanaga's comment in Japanese: Nippon Television Network News on December 8

Edited by FromJapan
Add text and link

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Trent and Rodger right now are talking about how at some point Ohtani is an overpay and not worth it. 

My guess is their bosses told them to say that and Ohtani is signing somewhere else tomorrow

Trust me, neither of them know. They especially know better not to say a word to Roger Lodge. 

They have a talk show and their point is a valid take. 

I mean, if the Jays or Dodgers offer him 600 million dollars, it's time to bow out. 

1 minute ago, Chuck said:

Trust me, neither of them know. They especially know better not to say a word to Roger Lodge. 

They have a talk show and their point is a valid take. 

I mean, if the Jays or Dodgers offer him 600 million dollars, it's time to bow out. 

If he signs here though,

Not our money baby!

Just now, m0nkey said:

If he signs here though,

Not our money baby!

If he signs here for 600 million then Arte better be ready to blow past the tax threshold for the next few years to win with Trout/Ohtani and go out there and get Snell or Yamamoto and get some 3B insurance and a couple relievers like Hicks and Stephenson. 

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

If he signs here for 600 million then Arte better be ready to blow past the tax threshold for the next few years to win with Trout/Ohtani and go out there and get Snell or Yamamoto and get some 3B insurance and a couple relievers like Hicks and Stephenson. 

I read somewhere earlier that the Yankees are interested in Hicks, darn!  I think he would be a good fit here.

5 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Trent and Rodger right now are talking about how at some point Ohtani is an overpay and not worth it. 

this is a big concern - we experienced it with albert and it seems pretty certain it'll happen with trout. 

i think any contract the angels put in front of him has to have a lot of performance clauses in it because of the concerns about his age, his health, and whether or not he can pitch effectively again.

maybe something like a base of $30-35 mil per, and then a bunch of hitting and pitching goals that will pay generously as he reaches each one. i think that would soften the blow in case his pitching ability doesn't recover from this latest surgery. 

along with personal accomplishments, i would also add in some team accomplishments that would pay him if they're reached (finishing in first, making the playoffs, being a wild card team, winning a round in the playoffs, etc.). i wouldn't have a single issue with paying him $50+ mil per if those kind of goals are reached. 

i think structuring a contract in this manner would be really helpful and affordable for the team as he ages through his 30s, depending on how long, of course, he signs for.

i'd also add in some opt-out clauses.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i think any contract the angels put in front of him has to have a lot of performance clauses in it because of the concerns about his age, his health, and whether or not he can pitch effectively again.

maybe something like a base of $30-35 mil per, and then a bunch of hitting and pitching goals that will pay generously as he reaches each one. i think that would soften the blow in case his pitching ability doesn't recover from this latest surgery. 

along with personal accomplishments, i would also add in some team accomplishments that would pay him if they're reached (finishing in first, making the playoffs, being a wild card team, winning a round in the playoffs, etc.). i wouldn't have a single issue with paying him $50+ mil per if those kind of goals are reached. 

i think structuring a contract in this manner would be really helpful and affordable for the team as he ages through his 30s, depending on how long, of course, he signs for.

i'd also add in some opt-out clauses.

And Ohtani is going to sign under those terms, with a team that has been a failure his whole career, when undoubtedly another team, will offer him far more guaranteed money, and more favorable terms for him.

If he thinks that signing something that is "helpful" and "favorable" for the team, is going to help him win a title, when said team is owned by Arte, he's not very bright.

12 hours ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

And Ohtani is going to sign under those terms, with a team that has been a failure his whole career, when undoubtedly another team, will offer him far more guaranteed money, and more favorable terms for him.

If he thinks that signing something that is "helpful" and "favorable" for the team, is going to help him win a title, when said team is owned by Arte, he's not very bright.

so you'd apparently sign a 30 yr old injured pitcher to a long guaranteed contract, yes?

sounds like a good plan.

Los Angeles Angels Smile GIF by MLB

13 minutes ago, Tank said:

so you'd apparently sign a 30 yr old injured pitcher to a long guaranteed contract, yes?

sounds like a good plan.

Los Angeles Angels Smile GIF by MLB

I didn't say I would.  I just said that there is a team out there that's likely willing to do so, meaning there's no reason for him to sign with a club that offers a contract filled with restrictions, and less guaranteed money.

Just now, 3pitchwalk said:

cause the dude forgot how to hit for 3 straight years before last year and he's only ever had 1 elite season in his career. 8/200 for that would be like hamiltons deal where a lot of people knew itd be bad from the get go.

He’s going to get more than that.  

On 12/7/2023 at 9:41 AM, Chuck said:

I've liked Soler because of his power to replace Ohtani, but his outfield defense isn't good. 

I will always remember that moon shot that he hit in Houston in Game 6 of the 2021 WS. His outfield defense is close to non-existent. If he is acquired, it has to be as a full time DH.