• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Feinsand: Angels are “very interested” in Blake Snell

mmc

3 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Snell isn't perfect, but he's a damn good pitcher 

Aren't y'all tired of signing the Terehan, quintana, Noah S, etc? 

I'd rather have 25 mil per year for snell than 15 mil per year on another bust.

If our franchise excelled at finding or fixing SP it would work but we don't

I'd rather pay $25-$29 million per year for 25-year old Yamamoto for the long term.

18 hours ago, Torridd said:

What other upgrades do you think we need and how much would they cost? 

18 hours ago, mmc said:

An outfielder, an infielder, another starter and about 3 relievers…

I agree with mmc... but they will trade a few players too. If they get Snell and a lower end guy, but traded Anderson and Rengifo for an OF like JohnnyDeLuca and a Reliever (like I mentioned in this thread earlier), they could then trade Thaiss, Adams, and Kochanawicz say for Brenden Rodgers. Then sign say Hicks (7-8M) and call it an offseason.

Added: Ohtani (45.5), Snell (26), Rodgers (4.2), DeLuca (minimum), Hicks (8M), JP Feyereisen (minimum) and Kolarek? 

Subtracted: Thaiss, Adams, Kochanawicz, Anderson, and Rengifo.

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Ironically, that’s Snell to me, just on a much higher level.

22 career WAR, and 13 of that in two seasons of 6 and 7 WAR. Every other year he’s 1-2 WAR max. Griffin Canning was 2 WAR last year.

I know it’s not a fantastic measure of success or indicator of future success, but to me that really emphasizes how erratic he is. When he’s on, he is quite literally one of, if not the, best SP in baseball. Problem is the track record indicates you may only get that once or twice on this deal, and just a #3-4 guy the other years. 

Couple that with the fact he’s getting older and led the league in walks, I can’t see him being a worthy gamble. Not when 2024-25 are probably his best bets be a frontline arm when he have too many other needs. 

I get where you're coming from.  He's just never been sturdy -- the Angel fan pitcher injury trauma likely plays heavily in my head here.  I know the 6 man rotation is hated but with Snell it may actually result in less "risk".  Would extra rest mean he can go 6+ more innings or will that extra rest result in more movement, less control and less IP.   Who knows -- but he's extremely talented and he doesn't lack heart.  

I also get what others are talking about about avoiding the lower end of the FA SP pool -- like I said, it's a pick your poison thing.  

My sole reason for being so fond of Sonny Gray was the almost predictably solid performance.   So watch him blow out his elbow this year because "pitchers".

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I get where you're coming from.  He's just never been sturdy -- the Angel fan pitcher injury trauma likely plays heavily in my head here.  I know the 6 man rotation is hated but with Snell it may actually result in less "risk".  Would extra rest mean he can go 6+ more innings or will that extra rest result in more movement, less control and less IP.   Who knows -- but he's extremely talented and he doesn't lack heart.  

I also get what others are talking about about avoiding the lower end of the FA SP pool -- like I said, it's a pick your poison thing.  

My sole reason for being so fond of Sonny Gray was the almost predictably solid performance.   So watch him blow out his elbow this year because "pitchers".

He reminds me of a super leveled-up Sandoval, tbh. 

I’d rather the Angels just try to get Snell-lite out of Sandoval and spend Snell money on Eduardo, Hicks, maybe a corner bat and another cheap vet RP, and gun for Burnes next winter. Could maybe even afford a Montas or Giolito or Flaherty or Stroman or Lugo still with some creativity or trades.

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I agree with mmc... but they will trade a few players too. If they get Snell and a lower end guy, but traded Anderson and Rengifo for an OF like JohnnyDeLuca and a Reliever (like I mentioned in this thread earlier), they could then trade Thaiss, Adams, and Kochanawicz say for Brenden Rodgers. Then sign say Hicks (7-8M) and call it an offseason.

Added: Ohtani (45.5), Snell (26), Rodgers (4.2), DeLuca (minimum), Hicks (8M), JP Feyereisen (minimum) and Kolarek? 

That's a lot of moving parts to end up with an 80 win team at best

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I’d rather the Angels just try to get Snell-lite out of Sandoval and spend Snell money on Eduardo, Hicks, maybe a corner bat and another cheap vet RP, and gun for Burnes next winter. Could maybe even afford a Montas or Giolito or Flaherty or Stroman or Lugo still.

I think those guys are getting 15-21 M and Snell gets 25-27. Yes it's over less years, 2-3 vs. 7 likely, but.. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’d rather the Angels just try to get Snell-lite out of Sandoval and spend Snell money on Eduardo, Hicks, maybe a corner bat and another cheap vet RP, and gun for Burnes next winter. Could maybe even afford a Montas or Giolito or Flaherty or Stroman or Lugo still with some creativity or trades.

its definitely a winter where sitting out the FA pitching market isn't a bad idea.  But we know they likely won't do that and if they again do the one year deal thing on a guy with warts and red flags it's only going to add to the narrative that the Angels are running in place.

The Angels are dealing with the need to improve and the need to change the industry view of them.  It is what it is.

Just now, mmc said:

That's a lot of moving parts to end up with an 80 win team at best

+5 Wins from Ron Washington and staff, +5 wins from Trout and Rendon Health, +5 wins from Development of younger players +3 Wins from Snell. = 91.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

its definitely a winter where sitting out the FA pitching market isn't a bad idea.  But we know they likely won't do that and if they again do the one year deal thing on a guy with warts and red flags it's only going to add to the narrative that the Angels are running in place.

The Angels are dealing with the need to improve and the need to change the industry view of them.  It is what it is.

In some ways it’s also one of the best FA classes to do recent Angel things. Montas, Severino, Giolito are all fine guys to take a one-year flier on.

There have been a few 3/30-type deals in recent years and they’ve all worked out really well, Sonny Gray, Kyle Gibson, Lance Lynn, Zach Eflin, Giants did something similar with Cobb, Webb, Wood, DeSclafani and it hasn’t worked out quite as well but it hasn’t killed them, and Wacha, Lugo, Lorenzen all fit that mold. Flaherty could be there or in the first batch of 1-yr guys. Maeda at 2/24 wasn’t half bad. Stroman might be a little more expensive but also looking at only a 1-3 year commit, and he was overall pretty good in Chicago, at one point brilliant. 

I think there’s more value and options here in the one-year and 2-3 year market than almost all of the last several years when the Angels have shopped at this level, and that there’s far more value and better options in next year’s frontline arms.  

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

Sign Lorenzen Kyle Lewis, Travis Jankowski, Tim Anderson, Jake Diekman and Chad Wallach (his would be minor league deal. Let kids play see how much development this along with young pitchers Silseth, Daniels , Detmers, Canning and next offseason go all in.

Congrats, you’ve taken a 73 win team and made them worse.

51 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I like DeLuca as well, but I don't think the Dodgers will trade him to us. 

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Sign Lorenzen Kyle Lewis, Travis Jankowski, Tim Anderson, Jake Diekman and Chad Wallach (his would be minor league deal. Let kids play see how much development this along with young pitchers Silseth, Daniels , Detmers, Canning and next offseason go all in.

None of these guys with the exception of maybe Diekman will add any value or even have a spot to contribute.

Outfielders: Trout, Ward, Moniak, Adell and Rengifo can play the OF as well

Infielders: Schanuel, Drury, Rengifo, Neto, Rendon, Stefanic, Fletcher.

Pitchers: Sandoval, Detmers, Canning, Silseth, Anderson, Daniel, Suarez. 

You need to study our roster and needs a little closer @Angels 1961

Stop dumbing down my Hot Stove SZN.

1 minute ago, AngelStew43 said:

Yamamoto would be a nice add.  And no subtraction of the talent that is already here.  

I'd like to think we're in on Yamamoto.

My fear is that they aren’t because of the rumor that Ohtani doesn’t want to play with another Japanese player.

Heyman reported a couple months ago that they weren’t in on Yamamoto and were focusing solely on Ohtani, which would line up with that.

4 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I like DeLuca as well, but I don't think the Dodgers will trade him to us. 

Do they have a spot for him? They need infield and veteran pitching help. Gotta give to get. 

Rengifo and Anderson plus some cash is a good return for DeLuca and a relief arm. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck said:

None of these guys with the exception of maybe Diekman will add any value or even have a spot to contribute.

DH spot is open and Detroit and Angels would like to have Lorenzen back. Why did it say halos had strong interest in Anderson? Lewis may end better than Adell and who knows about trades. What I'm saying is do not spend big this off season.

12 minutes ago, Chuck said:

+++

++++

13 minutes ago, Chuck said:

How many games has Rendon played last 3 years? Would Anderson be better than Fletcher or Stefanic. Ron Washington maybe he can fix Anderson.